Page 1 of 3
This board has on average about 20-30 people where as the guitar board has maybe 100-200 at a time. Why? I play only bass and I play rock/punk/metal which is, for the most part, what people play on guitar. I know they have their differences but not a huge difference. One is high pitched and the other low but neither of those are good or bad things.

I guess its because a lot of people don't think about which guitar is what when they decide what to play. I know that if I had started when I was younger, I would of probably picked electric guitar and not even think about bass. Thankfully I started when I was older (16) and I preferred the bass. Another reason why guitar is so much popular is that when kids listen to songs, all they hear is words and guitar solos. The only popular bass players I have seen that even a few people know who arn't too aware of bass are the really hot ones. WTF. Its sad. Guitars get more attention, people notice them over anything else, everyone plays it, more people play it because of their friends. Its a vicious circle.

I am not saying playing guitar is bad but I'm saying that when I ask if someone plays an instrument and all they ever say is electric guitar, its a problem. We need more bass player... hell, we need more drummers. People think that bass is some sort of downgrade from a guitar because it has two less strings (in most cases) or because no one plays them. Thats ****ing arrogant.

Anyways I guess I am done ranting. I just thought I might share my unorganized thoughts to you all.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Last edited by SOCOOLITHURTS at Mar 11, 2007,
I'm a guitar player, but I feel more suited towards guitar. It's a pain finding bass players though, most people don't even know what a bass guitar is.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
alot of people think bass is boring because loser bands have them playing root notes.
if only they heard good kickass bass riffs, theyd instantly be converted
Don't you know, I'm the end of what will be?
I think its about the person, you can usually tell if a person is a guitar player bass player or drummer just from what they act like. Bass players are usually quieter and more reserved, thusly less popular. Not saying thats bad just something i noticed, I personally play both and love both.
My Rig:
1970's Twin Reverb
1972 Gibson SG
1970's Raven SG copy (extreme modifications)
EH Double Muff
Dunlop Hendrix wah
and of course... a disco ball
'Cause when they go to the guitar store they ask, "What's that whahhhh doleeddoodoo eehhhyooo ouwwwww" The dude goes "guitar man" Then they're all like "sweet" and they buy a guitar.

Love the Low end
I don't know, but its probably because the guitar is considered more of a lead instrument then bass. Bass still pwns though. I play guitar, but I saw this on the front page.
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Quote by fcolbert
I think its about the person, you can usually tell if a person is a guitar player bass player or drummer just from what they act like. Bass players are usually quieter and more reserved, thusly less popular. Not saying thats bad just something i noticed, I personally play both and love both.

Well, besides myself, I have only met two other bass players in my life (that I know of). One was one of my best friends but he was pretty reserved around people he did not know but when he was with me he was pretty normal and the other was a loud mouth ass pervert who really pissed me off.

On the other hand, out of the many guitarist I have met, about half are quit and half are normal. Some of them are just wierd.

I have been told I am reserved and I have been told that I am very talkative. Its all about who you ask. If you ask someone I don't talk to they will say I am quit but thats BS. I try not to judge people unless I have had time to get to know them.

Another thing is that if someone tells me they play bass or drums I usually think that there good but if someone says they play guitar then I am always kind of not sure if they good or not. Though there are many guitarist, a HUGE percent of them suck, but the percent that don't suck are either decent or really good.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
I have played guitar for 2+ years now, just bought and played a bass for the first time 2 weeks ago. God do I love the thing. It sure does not get the credit it deserves, I play rhythm guitar and bass was an easy step for me. Sounds amazing too.
I like bass, it's a good instrument, and I have no beef with bass players. However:

Just about every popular metal/rock band has guitar solos. They devote an entire 2 minutes in a 4 minute song to guitar solo... when's the last time you heard of a GREAT bass player that always has a bass solo? I consider myself a metal fan, and the only good bass players/songs I know are: A) Metallica's Anestesia B) Anything Victor Wooten has ever done C)Steve Harris' awesome bass playing

Now, I'm sure there are some obscure bands that focus on the bass, but those bands aren't super popular. So, when you ask why bass is not as popular: it is because popular bands don't emphasize them. Afterall, kids get inspiration from bands. If Maiden had a sexy bass solo where everything else shuts up, and you can only hear the Bass itself, then I'd probably be playing bass right now as well... instead, I'm playing electric guitar, because Dave Murray kicks ass.

Also, high pitched notes usually create nice tension/resolve. When there's a brilliant vocal explosion, followed by a high pitched bend, you have to change your pants. Now, picture that same scenario followed by a low sounding thud... Not as epic.
Basically, my stance is that popular bands need to emphasize bass more, and bass players themselves need to be more innovative.
It's because guitar is a much more appropriate instrument to play solo. Whether it be strumming chords and singing along, or playing some fingerstyle composition, it's just more user-friendly to playing unaccompanied.
I think it's because a lot of the time, it takes a lot of skill to make bass, a low pitch instrument, to sound good in a solo in the more popular genres. People are so used to hearing the guitar they're just 'wtf?' when they hear a bass.
I know when I started bass I didn't know what one was (I only chose it because it had four strings and so looked easier). I also know some people who only started because their parents didn't know the difference between bass and guitar and so got them a bass instead.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by fcolbert

I'm the opposite of quiet and reserved.

Quote by yawn
It's because guitar is a much more appropriate instrument to play solo. Whether it be strumming chords and singing along, or playing some fingerstyle composition, it's just more user-friendly to playing unaccompanied.

Yeah that is true, also the reason alot of bass players (like myself) play both, i play bass in a band but i also write guitar parts and enjoy jamming on guitar.
Some Guy?
Quote by fcolbert

dude u should meet the bass player in our band, he punched thru a wall and he is NOT quiet and reserved and the drummer knows how to get out of a car by himself aswell so Don't be so prejudiced.

I think it's because loads of bands have really crap basslines and a lot of ppl have loads of prejudices about bass. but a lot of ppl, like me, start playin guitar, then p-p-p-pick up a bass and find out just how much of a fun instrument it is to play. Also i think ppl are jealous 'cos they think they would pe too weak to push the strings down on a bass (y'know the type of ppl woh have 8-38 strings on their guitar)

Quote by SOCOOLITHURTS

Another thing is that if someone tells me they play bass or drums I usually think that there good but if someone says they play guitar then I am always kind of not sure if they good or not. Though there are many guitarist, a HUGE percent of them suck, but the percent that don't suck are either decent or really good.

that's true actually. It's like every man and his dog has a guitar these days and the avg cost of all the guitars ever bought is £113 so most of them must be crappy encore 3/4 size classical guitars. but i do know ppl who are crap on bass- and own 1.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Mar 11, 2007,
Guitars are more popular merely because they're a more generalized instrument. Besides that, they can be played as a solo instrument, by itself. Campfire songs are played with a guitar; unfortunately, a bass sounds better with an accompanying instrument most of the time.

Its really two different mindsets, though, and it just seems that the guitar is more marketable than bass.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
that's 'cos it is.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
that's 'cos it is.

I just think you can do so much more creative things on guitar then you could on a bass, plus guitar just sounds better....
Quote by S)E-Javelin
I just think you can do so much more creative things on guitar then you could on a bass, plus guitar just sounds better....

That's subjective, but ehh. I've already had my ear chewed out today. Curse the Pit.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy

Quote by mh400nt
Quote by S)E-Javelin

yeah but that's completely not how "cool" works, izzit? Besides there is nothing u can do on a guitar that u can't do on a bass, if it has enuf strings that is.
EH

Quote by eddiehimself
yeah but that's completely not how "cool" works, izzit? Besides there is nothing u can do on a guitar that u can't do on a bass, if it has enuf strings that is.

And thus, the 6-string bass. I don't necessarily play one just because it has the same number of strings as a guitar, but the extra notes help a lot in my applications. Look at my tapping lesson, and you'll get it.

Quote by KISSguitarist

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy

Quote by mh400nt
i think its down to all those adverts on tvs and music videos or live videos that just focus on the guitar. Look at muse's hysteria, there is a really cool bass intro but they focus on the guitar player moving around before he starts playing and the crowd. its as if people label bass players as rejected guitar players or whatever and dont want to give them any credit. alot of people tend to start playing instruments because they want to become rich and famous so they think, apart from singing, what will make the most popular band member? and instantly they think guitar. As for bass players being quiet and reserved, a lot of them from bands in interviews and shit dont talk but i'd hardly label myself as quiet and reserved.
i know what u mean, like i was watching this vid on the jason newstead myspace page and it had like 1 or 2 shots of him in the entire of this song. I think if more bands had actual gd basselines ppl might like it more.
EH

I quite like bass being less popular, it makes us more individual and that's partly why i chose to play bass, i wanted to be different. A lot of my mates couldn't be arsed to play bass they said the strings were stupidly thick and it took too much effort to play so chose guitar instead, plus they wanted to blast out some hardcore shred solo but meh, almost all of what they can do on guitar, i can do on bass. But yeah, guitar is the first thing you hear when you listen to popular music, there will be a whole section of the song devoted to the guitarist whereas the bass usually just kinda sits back, its only when you listen to bands outside of the popular music scene that you realise how important the bass is and how amazing it can sound!
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
yeah, i suppose the main reason im a fan of ska is because of all the super cool basslines it has. I think what sums how people feel towards guitar is i had a concert a school when i was in the school band. We were playing all my best friends are metalheads by less than jake. A song with a lot of bass in making the song sound good anyway before i had my amp on, i was being told to turn down and when we'd finish people were saying i should have had a quieter amp. My teacher said that it sounded great, just people who dont know a thing about music havent a clue and only want to hear guitar. I like the individualty of playing bass, i just hate the lack of options we have compared to guitarists
u should be glad u weren't being miked up, they always put the bass right down so it sounds shit. Ever heard the live Evanescence album? My point entirely. It was gd when we went to see seether tho cos the bass was loud then, it ****ed up ne1 wanting to record it on their fone tho. I'm just gonna get a massive bass rig when i'm older so they can't turn me down!
EH

Quote by eddiehimself
u should be glad u weren't being miked up, they always put the bass right down so it sounds shit. Ever heard the live Evanescence album? My point entirely. It was gd when we went to see seether tho cos the bass was loud then, it ****ed up ne1 wanting to record it on their fone tho. I'm just gonna get a massive bass rig when i'm older so they can't turn me down!

I refuse to be miked up at gigs because they always turn me down so far that i'm inaudible, if they put me at a decent level then it would be fine but they dont
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
i woz just havin an msn chat with sum1 and i think the reason most ppl want to play guitar is so they'll get laid by loads of girls- so they think.
EH

Quote by S)E-Javelin

No it isnt.

To the threadstarter, stop whining, if you want the attention become a guitarist.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
It's because of the crappy bands and their root note bassists.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
People like Flea, inspire many young kids to play bass instead of guitar...
Why?
Because Flea jumps around and gets noticed, instead of standing in the corner.
Becasue Flea sometimes plays the lead in their songs.
Because he slaps/pops, wich makes the bass more visible in the all around sound.
Because the way Flea plays, makes those arrogant guitar players shut up, when they talk about bass being easier than a regular guitar.

All in all... If you are a bass player, and you want more bass players in the world, then YOU are the only one who can do something about it! Get noticed! Show todays kids what a bass guitar is! Because of Flea many people actually know what a bass guitar is, and are aware of the fact, than bass players can be really cool!

Finally, do what ever you want alright! There are not many bass players out there, but we are needed... I can join 3 bands if I want to...

We are demanded! So MAKE demands! Dont let them put you in the corner, so they can steal all the chicks! Go out there, and dont give a f*ck about what they said! Because they need you, but you dont need them...
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
There are advantages to being "less popular" btw. One is that once the word gets out that you are a competent bass player, you will never lack for jam time and if you are good enough, professional jam time. Just this week alone I got three separate phone calls from people, two of who I've only met briefly, asking if I was available to play bass.
same reason that more people have heard of jimi hendrix than of les claypool

guitar is always in the lime light while bass plays more of a background role so kids always see guitarists and think i wanna be like that go out and buy a guitar.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by anarkee
There are advantages to being "less popular" btw. One is that once the word gets out that you are a competent bass player, you will never lack for jam time and if you are good enough, professional jam time. Just this week alone I got three separate phone calls from people, two of who I've only met briefly, asking if I was available to play bass.

This is true. It makes bass player more in demand. I just ignore the people who think that bassists are rejected guitar players and everything (I play both anyway) because I know that they are wrong, and since there probably is no changing their mind, I just brush it off
It´s like saying why do people prefer to be actors than movie directors? (bad example I know). But some people just have the need to be in the spotlight no matter what, and some people prefer to be in the back making the magic happen. A good bassist can make or break a good band, like a good director can make a bad script shine or a bad director can make a goodscript craptacular.
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
This is true. It makes bass player more in demand. I just ignore the people who think that bassists are rejected guitar players and everything (I play both anyway) because I know that they are wrong, and since there probably is no changing their mind, I just brush it off

I'm not sure if it's just my age group, but recently I've noticed alot of guitar players treat it like a giant competition on who can play the fastest, who can play what, who knows the most scales etc. and get quite bitchy about it. What happened to free fun time jam

Not as much fun an atmosphere anymore

So I hang with the cool kid.

The Drummer.

Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
^ The drummer is the Bassist's best friend
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
The way I see it, (lead) guitar is more of a 'starring' role, whereas the bass is a supportive role. When was the last time you watched an action movie and wished you weren't the main star, but instead his boss that sits by a radio and gives him orders?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
The way I see it, (lead) guitar is more of a 'starring' role, whereas the bass is a supportive role. When was the last time you watched an action movie and wished you weren't the main star, but instead his boss that sits by a radio and gives him orders?
Well, the main star always gets hurt. Call me a wimp but I'd rather be the guy on the sidelines
Page 1 of 3