so on saturday night live tonight, a singer named lilly allen was the musical guest. her second song was a ska song with a horn section and all. i also remember being in a best buy a couple weeks ago and hearing a ska song that turned out to be paris hilton's single. is it weird to anyone else that ska seems to be becoming popular? and not that ska artists are becoming popular, but pop artists who are writing/ having ska songs written for them are?
in the 90's alot of ska bands were hitting the mainstream. most sucked...but bands like ltj and rbf got some radio plays...
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
i dont even know what ska is...this is gonna get sigged i bet...im so stupid...
oh, and you needn't worry about paris hilton for long, shell be in the back yard with nina and sherman tank soon
Quote by metaldud536
Because there is a bomb in the lasagna!

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
make loud howling noises and throw your feces at them whenever they bring it up, I suggest that your GF does the same.
Quote by Chickenfrmheck
i dont even know what ska is...this is gonna get sigged i bet...im so stupid...

then why would you reply to this? it's jamaican music... duh
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

Quote by Greenday4Life
that song was not ska.....

from where i was sitting it sounded like it was, i'm in a room adjacent to my tv so i can hear it, but not well. from what i heard, there was a horn line, and upstrokes.
i really don't see a point in this thread...so what if the song had a ska influence to it?
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Lily Allen is pop-ska kinda. She put her MySpace genre as: Pop / Hyphy / Ska but that is just myspace.
shes more a pop singer that throws a couple of bouncy ska-like melodies in every now and then from what ive heard.
Horns doesn't always make a song ska.

EDIT: But ska actually became pretty popular in the mainstream in the mid 90's with the Bosstones and Reel Big Fish and the like.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Original Gangsta of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
Lily Allen only has a couple "ska-ish" songs like Smile and Friday Night. I wouldn't classify her as ska though. But I loves her regardless.

p.s. the "ska" sound is upbeat, therefore, many people will enjoy it.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I've been busy getting drunk and yelling at endangered species for being pussies. It's a dehydrating job but someone has to do it.
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
The theme to "America's Funniest Home Videos" is ska

It's not like ska is as inaccessible as some punk can be at first. I'm surprised there isn't more of it in the mainstream these days.
Wasn't the theme tune to Kablam! a ska song as well? I also swear I heard The Hippos in "100 Deeds for Eddie McDowd"

Shit; I need to get out more.
Quote by BlackLuster
DisgruntledDuck, I wish there were more people like you in the world.

Quote by Jaimz
You Sir, have my utmost respect

I have Jaimz' utmost respect and BlackLuster wishes that there were more people like me in the world!
Last edited by DisgruntledDuck at Mar 12, 2007,
Quote by DisgruntledDuck
Wasn't the theme tune to Kablam! a ska song as well? I also swear I heard The Hippos in "100 Deeds for Eddie McDowd"

kablam was like the greatest show in the world. i wish it was still on
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Quote by DisgruntledDuck

that was the toasters, so yeah that was

the daily show isn't

idk about america's funniest home movies or not.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

you NEED some kind of guitar or piano playing some sort of upbeats.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

sublime was pretty popular

as was reel big fish and catch twenty two

and now streetlight manifesto

but ska is far more popular in germany for some reason... and no one out side of the usa seems to know about sublime ):
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
^pretty much everyone i know has heard of sublime or heard a sublime song.

we've got a few ska bands, around here, and it's getting pretty popular. trouble is they all play generic 3rd wave ska, and sometimes they'll try way to hard when they play live, and ruin the flow of everything, particularly the lyrics. and when the lyrics don't flow it starts to sound shit. to me anyway.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
It's not so much that the songs are ska, but they have ska influences. Bands like Sublime and No Doubt got pretty big in the 90's.
brnh.bandcamp.com
I don't know about ska on SNL, but I just saw the Reigning Sound play on Conan O'Brien. It was great.
conan rules!!!
max wein...stein or berg....hm...i think weinberg. they play good music. the clash, social D...other songs i forgot.... Conan O'brien ftw!!!
Quote by BrianApocalypse

i noticed there has been an been a recent influx in Ska threads... and i like it
Quote by latinosuperstud
sublime was pretty popular

as was reel big fish and catch twenty two

and now streetlight manifesto

but ska is far more popular in germany for some reason... and no one out side of the usa seems to know about sublime ):

I know about Sublime !
yeah, it always does this....the influx will go away for a bit then will come back, with most of them asking what ska is...then some stupid answers like... "if you take punk and you take reggae and mix them...that is ska..." ugh...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Quote by mike2
yeah, it always does this....the influx will go away for a bit then will come back, with most of them asking what ska is...then some stupid answers like... "if you take punk and you take reggae and mix them...that is ska..." ugh...

Yeah, people in the electric guitar forum kept getting it wrong so I made this super duper intro to ska

First Wave-
Prince Buster http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hUkiPrRSOE
Desmond Dekker (he's the shit) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e2aRfqp1sY

Second Wave/ two tone
The Specials(also the shit) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4HltjRMxJI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28TeUbYvXS0
Madness http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdbNoGNCLmg&mode=related&search=

Third Wave
Operation Ivy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQfW0pxpLC8&mode=related&search=
Reel Big Fish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0e6LUTjzX0
I should probably add some crack rock steady-ish stuff to it

EDIT: Damn, like half of those videos had been removed cause of copyright shit
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Last edited by yeahyeah at Mar 14, 2007,
good job yeah yeah...most ska core sucks though...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

i don't think it was the toasters who did kablam... they don't keep the melody going long enough in 2-tone army for it to be a whole theme song... but i noticed that mustard plug's we want the mustard is pretty much the same theme continued in instrumental form, so chances are it was that with sound effects added and the random 'we want the mustard' chants taken out... just sayin...

yeah, i used to be one of the idiots who thought ska was a mix of horns in punk... but sadly, that's the easiest way to describe it to someone who has no clue...
when they come for me, i'll be sitting at my desk, with a gun in my hand, wearin a bullet-proof vest, singin: "my my my how the time does fly, when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night"
Haha it's a plausible theory. And I concur with the love of the ska-thread boom =D
Quote by BlackLuster

Quote by Jaimz

I have Jaimz' utmost respect and BlackLuster wishes that there were more people like me in the world!
ska is skamazing... simple as that
when they come for me, i'll be sitting at my desk, with a gun in my hand, wearin a bullet-proof vest, singin: "my my my how the time does fly, when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night"
its amazing that some ska-punk was even on mtv back in the 90s
like MM Bosstones, which they played during the prom night on the movie "Clueless", but now.. its dead, fortunately..
Quote by RCT2head
i don't think it was the toasters who did kablam... they don't keep the melody going long enough in 2-tone army for it to be a whole theme song... but i noticed that mustard plug's we want the mustard is pretty much the same theme continued in instrumental form, so chances are it was that with sound effects added and the random 'we want the mustard' chants taken out... just sayin...

yeah, i used to be one of the idiots who thought ska was a mix of horns in punk... but sadly, that's the easiest way to describe it to someone who has no clue...
i think Two-Tone Army was the theme song, lol
Quote by dookie_dude_
its amazing that some ska-punk was even on mtv back in the 90s
like MM Bosstones, which they played during the prom night on the movie "Clueless", but now.. its dead, fortunately..

Oh aye, and Save Ferris in "10 Things I hate about you". I shamefull admit to watching MTV Made, and I hear splatterings of ska and pop-punk in that all the time.
Quote by BlackLuster

Quote by Jaimz

Quote by dookie_dude_
i think Two-Tone Army was the theme song, lol

it's all good... i just remember i was listenin to an internet ska radio station, and i thought 2-tone army came on... but it kept on repeating the hornline and had random shouts of we want the mustard... my problem is i can't find a copy of that song anywhere to figure it out... of course, i hadn't thought that the producers could have had the toasters do a studio recording for it...
the movie "fun with dick and jane" had rancid's song "time bomb" in it, which is one of their ska songs.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
and Shaun of the Dead has got Ghost Town by The Specials in it
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...