I just picked up a Shure SM57 for some home recording and I wanted to know what would be a good preamp (not too expensive...any suggestions between $50-$200 would be good, I don't want to spend $200 but I'm open to ideas). Right now I have the mic, cord, and stand, I'm assuming I just need a preamp and then I can plug it into my sound card (Creative Soundblaster Audigy) although I have no experience in this area so let me know if this set up won't work out. Any help/info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I'll be using it for vocals, electric, acoustic, and percussion...so yeah, I need to know about all that stuff. I also read about some guy that just picked up an adapter and a transformer or something from radio shack and plugged it into his audigy and it sounds great, any info on this?

That article can be found here: http://www.scottandrew.com/blog/archives/2003/06/secrets_of_home_reco.html
Last edited by mattvl at Mar 11, 2007,
ok i just made this long post and then realized ur not talking about vocals. just recording guitar?

u dont Need a preamp if ur mic-ing guitar off an amp.

you just need 1/8" ADAPTER.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Check out what Art has to offer.

M-Audio makes a couple decent mic pre's in your price range.

Here's the mic pre page from Musiciansfriend.com, just stay away from those two little Behringer boxes.

A mic preamp will add warmth to recordings. If he's mic'ing his amp and going directly (not sending the mic(s) to a mixer) to the 1/8" input on his computer, then definitely look into a mic pre.
Quote by jj1565
ok i just made this long post and then realized ur not talking about vocals. just recording guitar?

u dont Need a preamp if ur mic-ing guitar off an amp.

you just need 1/8" ADAPTER.

If he doesn't need one on guitar, why would he need one on vocals ?
Quote by mattvl

I just picked up a Shure SM57 for some home recording and I wanted to know what would be a good preamp

Point your sm57 at about one third the distance between the center and the edge of speaker, away from the center of the speaker, the tip of the mic 1 inch away from the cab screen, tilt the mic 30 degress towards center.
You can start with a presonus tube-pre, $99 at musiciansfriend.com.

I edited the first post to specify what I'm using the mic for (pretty much everything).
Quote by ColdGin
If he doesn't need one on guitar, why would he need one on vocals ?

i was going to suggest the $50 behringer m200 i got for vocals. a guitar can usually go thru the amp fine.

you can put the vocals thru an amp too, but then u need to be carefull not to over mod and alot of amps dont work well with vocals.

i find i use it mostly to warm up acoustic stuff.

you can follow me around all day quoting me, eventually you might even make sense.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011