So I took my friends old strat knockoff over winter and sanded the hell out of it and repainted it. Here it is.

My problem, however, is putting everything back together. Mainly, the trem/bridge, and these little screw things with the springs(forgive me but I have no idea what theyre called). Anyway, I have no idea how to tighten these things. I don't want to overtighten ones or undertighten others. Sooo...how do I do that?

Also, as you can see the input in not connected to the electrics. I have a soldering iron..but Im not sure how to exactly use it. Do I just need the iron or do I need something else?

I know I'm an idiot, please try to bare with me. Also I'd like to get this done tonight so I can try out my new amp that I got for Xmas but havent tried out yet because I havent had a working electric(the working one is at school :/)
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You motorboatin son of a bitch.

Quote by ibaRGnez321
I love you LilVikingBoy.

Member of the Church of Gilmour

Dance, Kirby, dance!
(>")> <("< <( " )> (>"< <("^) (^")> <("v) (v")> (v"v) (^"v) (v"^) (^"^)
Holy crap!!! since x-mas???!!

anyways... you need solder for your soldering process. It's very cheap, and easy to use. Unfortunately, I too, am having an issue with my trem. screws. Try finding a picture of a fender (or whatever make it is) with the back exposed. Then just try and go in as far as those screws are in. I guess just ball park it really.

Good luck with it though.
Xmas cause I've been away at college. I left about 2 weeks after christmas, but due to how late my paint arrived in the mail, it took me a long time to get the painting done. By the time it was all painted, I had to leave. So I had to wait til now to get it ready :/

And damnit! I don't have any solder. ****.
Quote by LuthierofTexas

Quote by ibaRGnez321
I love you LilVikingBoy.

Dance, Kirby, dance!
well remember the way it was? tighten it pretty tight.
Why did you take off the saddles may I ask?
Because I'm a total newbie with this stuff and took everything apart. I didn't realize that I could leave them on and still get the whole bridge/trem out.

And I don't remember :/ It was too long ago.
Quote by LuthierofTexas

Quote by ibaRGnez321
I love you LilVikingBoy.

Dance, Kirby, dance!
Hmm...I don't know how to explain putting everything back together, honestly, because when I did it for the first time on my Strat, I just kinda..figured it out. The saddles are gonna be a pain, though, as you didn't really mark which saddles when to which string. you can adjust the heights yourself, later, I suppose.

Once ya get to the electronics, I can help you there. Grab some 60/40 tin lead solder or 63/37 solder.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Hmm...I don't know how to explain putting everything back together, honestly, because when I did it for the first time on my Strat, I just kinda..figured it out. The saddles are gonna be a pain, though, as you didn't really mark which saddles when to which string. you can adjust the heights yourself, later, I suppose.

Once ya get to the electronics, I can help you there. Grab some 60/40 tin lead solder or 63/37 solder.

Ok, I got some 60/40. Now I realized I have no idea how to set up or do the soldering. So if anyone could give me a step-by-step that would be fantastically helpful.

Also, as for the saddles, they are in order. However, I can't remember if that is the order or if it's reverse order. And I guess I'll just estimate or try to find a picture of a closeup so I can see if I can get it accurate.
Quote by LuthierofTexas

Quote by ibaRGnez321
I love you LilVikingBoy.

Dance, Kirby, dance!
Ok, so reading that(and confusing myself) and watching a Seymour Duncan How-To replace pickups, I can't tell exactly what to do.

Do I let the iron heat. Then make sure the wire is on the place it's going to be soldered on to. Then I cut off some of the solder(which is wrapped around some donut thing currently) and now it's more confusing. I thing I either A) melt the solder onto the iron and THEN put it on wire area or B) melt the solder ontop of the wire area.
Quote by LuthierofTexas

Quote by ibaRGnez321
I love you LilVikingBoy.

Dance, Kirby, dance!
Well this is fantastic...

I FINALLY think I get the damn thing soldered. I put on the pickguard, after having a shit time with pickups that I won't even go into because it will anger me more, and now come to something I didn't think would be such a pain. The back springs. I cannot get them to stretch so I can screw in the little thing in the back that holds the circle half of the spring. And if I get past that(unlikely) I will have to do the saddles, and then learn to string the damn thing.

So please. Somebody remind me never ever to take apart a guitar again.
Quote by LuthierofTexas

Quote by ibaRGnez321
I love you LilVikingBoy.

Dance, Kirby, dance!
Eh, loosen the trem claw? Eh, trem claw?...Huh?
Quote by LuthierofTexas

Quote by ibaRGnez321
I love you LilVikingBoy.

Dance, Kirby, dance!
Ahh, see, that's what I meant. But mine is different. it doesn't screw into the side like that, it screw in straight down. So I can't pull it out like that while keeping it partially screwed in.
Quote by LuthierofTexas

Quote by ibaRGnez321
I love you LilVikingBoy.

Dance, Kirby, dance!
Use a set of pliers to grap the spring, and pull it back as far as you can.

Or go to a music store and buy a real trem claw.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Ok, you guys are going to find this hilarious. I got the springs on(with the pliers, thank you Will_Minus for that idea I'm ashamed I didn't think of trying), and screwed on the straddles(which the only problem there was determining how tight and just left them approx. the same). Then I strung the guitar.

I go to plug 'er in and let rip and...

the insides don't work. After all the soldering concerns the electronics were just shot to begin with. I'm not surprised, when I got the guitar they were hanging out like a person who had been disemboweled. The body, black then, was covered in bullet-hole stickers, so I sanded all that down and repainted. That was a pain. I couldn't get a few stickers completely off the pickguard, but I plan to change that anyway.

So after repainting it all December, I come home to finish it up and it doesn't work. I leave on Wednesday so I have to wait until I come home for summer with my other electric and use the electronics of that. Yay. I have to wait another 2 months to hear the amp I got for Christmas.

:'(
Quote by LuthierofTexas

Quote by ibaRGnez321
I love you LilVikingBoy.

Dance, Kirby, dance!
reverse the way the wires are on the input jack.

that's a common problem. Also, check to see if you accidentally grounded the pickups instead of connecting the live.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
It's S-S-S. But as I said previously it's a REALLY shitty strat knock-off. The body is made out of fiberboard for Christs sake. So I went to Seymour Duncan and found a wiring diagram. I compared it to mine, before I did anything to it, and it was not the same. So I assume, since it is such a shitty guitar, that it's just all out of whack.

Also the fact that when I got it from my friend everything was hanging out and disordered, so it may have been messed up there. I only soldered one thing. The input jack wire(there was only one) to the main volume control. That's what was said on the SD diagram I believe.
Quote by LuthierofTexas

Quote by ibaRGnez321
I love you LilVikingBoy.

Dance, Kirby, dance!