Page 4 of 65
To the guy who want the natural tele, i dont know too much about guitar costomizing but i know alittle about woodworking, and id say just spray it with some laquir and you should be fine
Hey thanks Frozen Sheep! Nice idea. Strat contours on a tele would be really cool, and make it more comfortable to position. But i doubt I'd do it on this particular guitar, cus i dont really have the tools, nor do i know how since this is my first customization of any kind. And i just want a classic tele really with. Maybe in the future.

Yeah I figured that i wouldnt need anything else besides lacquer for the natural look, but being a total noob, I dont know much about wood preparation or all that stuff about grain and woods. For the sanding off paint i just used the project guitar stripping by sanding tutorial. So if someone could point me to a natural finish tutorial, or tell me about wood preparation or what problems i might encounter, or just a general step by step, Id really appreciate it. Im currently looking up 'wood grain' in wikipedia....
Shaafi Shaikh
alright. so here is what i would liek to do. i got a epi lp100 from a friend and i am goign to repaint it at a later time, but for now i would like to paint like a stripe or checker stripe on it.
just like the below image. how should i go about this?

Quote by wh1ck3r
alright. so here is what i would liek to do. i got a epi lp100 from a friend and i am goign to repaint it at a later time, but for now i would like to paint like a stripe or checker stripe on it.

If the guitar is any color that isn't white you will have to completely sand the paint to bare wood, prime, paint white, mask the stripe and paint black, then go with the usual clear coating procedure. If the guitar is white just sand the clear coat mask and paint black and go with the usual clear coating procedure.

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
so should i just lay down tape and sand down where i want to paint the stripe?
no, you have to sand down everything, prime, paint white, lay down tape paint black.

Quote by robbo_0013

Quote by spazzymagee417
the link for sanding off paint/finish said that you'd get much better results with an electric sander than with a hand block. is there really much of a difference? i'd much rather use the block.
I will fuc
So is it actually worth it? Can me, a n00b who doesn't know a lot about the guts of a guitar and pickups and whatnot, clean out my guitar, paint it with a stencil, and put it back together? I'm just wondering if I should get serious about painting my guitar, or if it's just too much of a hassle. I have a Schecter Damien 6, so will I have to sand the original color off or what? Any help is appreciated!

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/6/1/1/229611.jpg

So basically, you didnt bang a girl, because she was shocked how small it was.
Lolz @ j00 and your tiny p3n1s.

I *heart* Metal ----Violent J----
i have a Mexican Made Stratocaster, and i want to coat my neck a little bit more. can i do this without stripping the neck? or would it be better? my coat is a little weak, and i want a bit more glossy (tinted) look.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Hmm, you should probably wait for a second opinion, but if you want to add a coat to your neck, you should only have to scuff up the previous coat, with really fine sand paper, and then spray.
Quote by violent.j.11
So is it actually worth it? Can me, a n00b who doesn't know a lot about the guts of a guitar and pickups and whatnot, clean out my guitar, paint it with a stencil, and put it back together? I'm just wondering if I should get serious about painting my guitar, or if it's just too much of a hassle. I have a Schecter Damien 6, so will I have to sand the original color off or what? Any help is appreciated!

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/6/1/1/229611.jpg

What kind of stencil? Like a small emblem stencil, or a whole body stencil?
Quote by rockr09
Hmm, you should probably wait for a second opinion, but if you want to add a coat to your neck, you should only have to scuff up the previous coat, with really fine sand paper, and then spray.

hmmm... i kinda want the soft V-shaped neck too... maybe i should sand it down so it'd have that then. a big project indeed...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by UniverseZero
no, you have to sand down everything, prime, paint white, lay down tape paint black.

Hmm, I thought if the original paint color is the color you want, and you just wanted to add a white stripe, I thought you could scuff up the clearcoat, make a stencil for the stripe and tape off the rest of the body, paint, remove tape, add clear coats, and sand smooth, add 1 or 2 more coats of clear?
Quote by Feel-IX
sorry to interrupt in the thread, but i'd like to know what painting technique should be used to get this result:

just the dark side of the moon logo of course, not the autographs.

also, could it be done on an acoustic guitar? and would the guitar have to be sanded and then painted or could it just be "painted" on a black acoustic?

thank you, oh and if anyone have an approximate price too , please!

There is someone on here, look for the thread, that painted that logo on the back of his LP. I'm not sure if it will work on a acoustic though. And the price, Probably around $50 for the paint, but if you have to have an airbrush it will be much more.
Ive painted that image a few times now on customers guitars and scratch plates. Just use masking tape to line out the triangle and spray white around the edge (airbrush would prob be best for that to get the nice fade). then use a hairy brush to do the rainbow and white line from the left. As designs go this one is fairly simple to do with great results.
Quote by rockr09
Hmm, I thought if the original paint color is the color you want, and you just wanted to add a white stripe, I thought you could scuff up the clearcoat, make a stencil for the stripe and tape off the rest of the body, paint, remove tape, add clear coats, and sand smooth, add 1 or 2 more coats of clear?

yeah that would be right if you wanted a black stripe in a white guitar. the other poster didn't specify which color his guitar was, but said that he wanted a white stripe, so on my first response post to him I said if your guitar is white then do the following, but if its any other color do the following.

Quote by robbo_0013

Quote by spazzymagee417
Quote by wh1ck3r

I was freaking out. Thought it said John Lowery and I was like what?! John5 loves photography too what?!!
Is there a way to paint over deep scratches and smaller scratches without repainting the whole guitar?

Here's a picture of the deep scratch. The smaller scratch is on the front and it is as thick as a hair and gray-brownish, the guitar mirrors so well it was impossible to take a picture of it.
Last edited by andersoncouncil at Jul 27, 2007,
had this weird idea ages ago to paint my guitar white with red edges and put a home brand logo on the body. i was told this is illegal, trademarking and all..how would i go about trying to get this idea to happen?
to be honest no one will care if you put a fake logo on your guitar. people only get pissy about that sort of thing if you start making loads and selling them
Quote by andersoncouncil
Is there a way to paint over deep scratches and smaller scratches without repainting the whole guitar?

Here's a picture of the deep scratch. The smaller scratch is on the front and it is as thick as a hair and gray-brownish, the guitar mirrors so well it was impossible to take a picture of it.

Just leave it, black is almost impossible to repair. A) You can always tell when somebody tries to fix an imperfection in a black finish because of the glossyness and B) poly finishes are hard to repair/blend, etc.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Thats pretty much it.

Sand it down to wood, be sure there isn't any finish anywhere still on it that you might have missed. Sand it down smooth, I'd at least go up to 800 but higher is always better. Sand it until it is baby's butt smooth.

Then apply whatever oil you want to use, let it cure. sand with steel wood reapply. And do that a couple times. Then when you feel you have a thick enough finish then let it cure for like another week or whatever. Then your done.
Hey. I'm building a tele and I really like the idea of putting on a silverburst, like the limited eddition Gibsons a while ago (Adam Jones - Tool). Would I use the same technique as other bursts (i.e. Body template) or is there a special method?
Also, am I right in thinking that I should use a white primer and then paint the body silver?

Thanks for your help!
Quote by Metal_Injection
I got my first Orange today!!!! Its a Orange crush 15 watt with reverb, just a practice amp!! let me join!!!!

Quote by slatsmania
You can, but you have to sit at the kids' table for dinner.

Gibson LP + Orange Rocker 30
how would i get my already black guitar to look like this?
im only talking about the body, not about the neck or the head.
would i have to get rid of the black and then re paint it, or simply apply the silver?
synyster gates signature edition
Quote by pengiunman
Hahaha you crack me up swansareroadkil.

:can't think of a smiley to put, your too cool:
^^ Same technique, you should use prime coat, then paint silver and burst black and usual instructions for clearcoating, etc....

^Sand the guitar to bare wood, prime, silver coat, mask, black coat, clearcoat etc....

Quote by robbo_0013

Quote by spazzymagee417
Im planning a build and was going to paint it a solid white, but my uncle who is helping strongly advices not to and would rather stain it (he likes his wood). I'm thinking of meeting him in the middle and doing a dye, but i was wondering if there was a white dye, some sort of transluscent one, or something else that would look good with black hardware
Quote by overgronE
Im planning a build and was going to paint it a solid white, but my uncle who is helping strongly advices not to and would rather stain it (he likes his wood). I'm thinking of meeting him in the middle and doing a dye, but i was wondering if there was a white dye, some sort of transluscent one, or something else that would look good with black hardware

Try the Blonde from ReRanch.
Quote by swansareroadkil
how would i get my already black guitar to look like this?
im only talking about the body, not about the neck or the head.
would i have to get rid of the black and then re paint it, or simply apply the silver?
synyster gates signature edition

Another alternative to UniverseZero's method, which I think is quicker/easier is:
1. Soak 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper overnight.
2. Remove all the hardware from the body. Make sure to take pics of the wiring and pots and PUs ... just to make sure you can put them together properly. De-solder the connections, do not cut the wires.
3. Lightly wetsand the body, just enough to roughen the surface for the paint to adhere. Did I mention lightly? As in very lightly, you don't want to go through the clear and unto the colorcoat.
4. Tape the areas that will remain Black. Use decent painter's tape. If you're extra careful, masking tape will work. If you're a little sloppy, get the painter's tape.
5. Go through the edges of the tape at least twice to ensure there are no gaps. Go through the edges 4X if you suspect or know you're the sloppy type.
6. Lightly spray the White ... instead of 8 to 10 inches away, do it at least 12 inches away. This is called misting.
7. Lightly spray the Gray from the same distance in some areas.
8. Very lightly spray the Black in even smaller areas.
9. What you just did is called Blending.
10. Let it dry for an hour and carefully remove the tape.
11. Let the paint cure overnight.
12. Lightly wetsand the demarcation lines of the new paint. Very, very lightly! You just want to ensure that you can't feel the lines, very important prior to clearcoating.
13. Keep the wetsanding paper wet. Use 2000 grit, more gentle to the finish.
14. Clearcoat using the rule of 3s.
15. Let it cure for a month then buff with 3M's Finesse It II.

i posted this in the main thread before and was told to put it here so...

i'm trying to build a patrick (as in spongebob) guitar, as pictured below (i know, a little retarded) and i just had some questions about applying a graphic like that...

i've done some really great looking solid color nitro-lacquer rattle-can finishes, but have an airbrush now and want to do this a little more pro... can anyone recommend a kind/brand of paint that works best for such guitar graphics--and what clear finish to use over it?

thanks for any help and advice you guys can offer up!

ps.. use the link below to check out more of my gear if you want...

http://blogs.guitarworld.com/usergear/viewgallery.php?pro=iamthewalrus
Attachments:
patrick_guitar2.jpg
hey guys, I'm currently doing the refinish on my nuno. I'm doing a matt finish. question is, how many coats should I be doing with the spray cans?

I've done 6 so far and it's looking nice, but i haven't done a wet sand as yet or any sanding so far during the refinish. should I be sanding back between every few coats and how many total should I do? some here have suggested up to 20 on here...

I've looked through the Ultimate thread but haven't found what I'm looking for!

your time is much appreciated.

thanks guys!
ahoy guys

just posted this on the customisation thread... should probably have put it in here...

Here's one of my strats... (other one is in the process of being refinished, using all beer labels )

Wouldn't recommend doing this to a vintage fender wood stained tele or anything nice... but I reckon its a nice way to make your cheapo strats look abit cooler!

I'm not sure how common this sorta thing is, just did it without really researching or thinkin it thru when I was bored! :-p (its just sanded down, then pictures cut out of magasines+varnish nice n simple!)... its had a couple more coats of varnish since these pictures and the finish is (pretty much) as smooth as a "real" paint job!

Chris
i stripped all the paint off my squier but not down to bear wood, just that clear coat.can you seal with tru-oil over on that?
Hey dudes, check out the thread in my sig, im doin a green paintjob, should turn out sweet!
Member of the Bugera Users Militia

Quote by JagerSlushy
Go with Ibanez...Or if you're going high-end, get a Jackson.
I'm spraypainting my Fender DS body, and I think I have all of the supplies and the steps laid out right:
1) Wet/dry-sand body down to +/- 600 grit,
2) Three coats of sanding sealer with 220-320 sanding in between
3) Two coats of primer and sand again
4) Several coats of paint and sand 400-600 grit if needed
5) Two coats of satin laquer
(time to dry between each coat and more time between each step)

Does that sound good? I can't find a good tutorial specifically on aerosol finishes, except for the ReRanch one, which is for refinished guitars.
-VOTE HERE-
[x ] ROOSEVELT

[x ] WILSON
i was wondering how i would go about making a zakk wylde bulls-eye finish
as in how would i make the stencil for the paint
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
I was just given a BC Rich Warlock that im pretty sure is kinda low end and i want to paint a new design on it without redoing the whole thing. Could i just sand the gloss coat off and paint my design on and then re-gloss it? I just don't want to spend a lot of time on it because its cheap and just a backup for me
Austin Les Paul rip-off that sounds really nice
Gibson V
PEAVEY JSX 212
Quote by rickenhofner
i posted this in the main thread before and was told to put it here so...

i'm trying to build a patrick (as in spongebob) guitar, as pictured below (i know, a little retarded) and i just had some questions about applying a graphic like that...

i've done some really great looking solid color nitro-lacquer rattle-can finishes, but have an airbrush now and want to do this a little more pro... can anyone recommend a kind/brand of paint that works best for such guitar graphics--and what clear finish to use over it?

thanks for any help and advice you guys can offer up!

ps.. use the link below to check out more of my gear if you want...

http://blogs.guitarworld.com/usergear/viewgallery.php?pro=iamthewalrus

It looks like you already know what you're doing, since you have the proper gear. Paint brands are regional so either the acrylic or nitro you're considering should be fine.

That is an awesome design!

Quote by ChaoticVengence
i was wondering how i would go about making a zakk wylde bulls-eye finish
as in how would i make the stencil for the paint

After scuff sanding the gloss off with 80 grit, spray it with the base color, say White; clearcoat it lightly after an hour; then after another hour, cover the entire thing with masking tape or painter's tape.

To make the large circles, find the center and put a small nail or screw. Tie a short string to it and at the other end, tie a pencil. You get the idea? Make the circles and shorten the string as necessary.

With a blade, very gently go through the tape. Make sure to initially scour with the blade on the first pass. Go through it on the second pass. Again, use 2 passes, the paint underneath hasn't fully hardened/cured.

Then spray the Black, etc.

Good Luck!

Quote by new original
I was just given a BC Rich Warlock that im pretty sure is kinda low end and i want to paint a new design on it without redoing the whole thing. Could i just sand the gloss coat off and paint my design on and then re-gloss it? I just don't want to spend a lot of time on it because its cheap and just a backup for me

Even if it's a cheap/inexpensive guitar, you want to follow the proper steps. Yes, you can scuff sand the gloss and paint your design. Make sure you use acrylic or nitro and not enamel. Some modders here have had bad experiences with enamel. And follow the protocol for refinishing, see the 1st page for the links.

If you rush through it, it wouldn't come out the way you envisioned it, usually.

Good Luck!

Can we get a basic FAQ on the First Page? Such as "What paint should I use?" "What type of finish" etc.?

So my friend and I want to repaint my starter guitar (its a Fender Starcaster made of agathis). We want to repaint it white, draw in characters from Pink Floyd's "The Wall" and give it to our old art teacher as a present. Can someone please give us a basic step by step of what we should do?

EDIT: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10642391#post10642391
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Last edited by lagunasunrise at Sep 4, 2007,
How would I paint a guitar to have this same color and effect?

Quote by capt_dammit
kaervek...you rock

Quote by guitardude34875
the genre of metal is like an apple, I prefer just the apple, not the applecore
Does stripping off the paint affect the guitar's sound? I have an Ibanez RGT42DX with this "black pearl" paint job and it's boring. Feel like trying out no paint for a bit then customize.