Basically what the subject question is - what does drop tuning do, as such? Apologies if this is answered in the tuning thread, but that looked to just be about -how- to do it and not what it does, as such. I'd heard somewhere that Drop D, for example, gave a different functionality to how some power chords were played or somesuch? Complete beginner here, so... yeah, just curious more than anything.
Basically "drop tuning" means it's "dropping" the pitch, of a string, or lowering it's tuning to a lower note. Drop D is popular because it drops the low E string one full note so it's then a low D string. Because of this, power chords starting on the 6th string can be played by just barring the 6th, 5th, and 4th (optional) strings at any fret, letting you play power chord riffs crazy fast.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
You can get a much darker sound from drop tunings.....In alot of metalcore, if you listen it's lower than some bands because alot of those bands use drop C....It's mostly for a darker sound or playing power chords faster and easier..
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
when i first started playing i started playing in drop d. it took me like 7 months to finally get used to powerchords.