From what I've read here (I've been lurking for awhile), The Valveking combos sound unworthy at stock. I've read that a tube change and a speaker swap would do the job. I have a load of speakers at home, and I have a few sets of tubes my dad sent me when he knew I was looking into a new amp. Would this be a decent alternative to buying a Fender Hot Rod or Blues Deluxe? I understand the VK is a budget amp, but it can't be that bad, can it? I mainly play Rage, Audioslave, to even RHCP. My effects gear comprises of a TS808, Jekyll and Hyde, WH-1, Vox V847, and Boss CE-7 and GE-7. Would this be a suitable amp? I recently had a Fender HRD crap out and fry on me. I liked the cleans, but I never got into the distortion. Cleans aren't as big an issue for me, since I play stuff like RATM, but decent ones would be nice.

thanks!
Last edited by Reincaster at Mar 11, 2007,
For the money, they're good value, they're pretty versatile, lots of features built in. But IMO it doesn't sound too fantastic. But they're a good deal for the price.
I'm not a fan of the Valveking. A tube change and speaker swap for it is somewhat akin to putting lipstick on a pig, IMHO.

In the same price range, you can get Peavey's Windsor head. A one channel amp that does a nice Marshall impersonation. With the speakers you have lying around, you can either buy an empty cab or build your own and have a much better amp for about the same cash you were looking to spend on the VK.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I've heard that a speaker and tube change can be pretty beneficial with the VK's, but it's still a budget amp and I've yet to be impressed with one. I'd look elsewhere.
IDK guys, I really liked the one i tried out. Maybe consider the windsor head, though. I can't comment on it specifically, but I have yet to play a peavey i didn't like, or at least appreciate.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Actually I have the peavey windsor head already, however, I only get to use it when I play metal and stuff. when I roll down my volume knobs to get cleans, it's not punchy or clear enough, too muddy. It's probably due to the LP I use.
I liked the HRD, but the distortion was too .... thin. Nice for tubey sounding leads, but, I needed a bit more crunch, the "more drive" channel caused lots of noise. I liked the cleans, but I'm sure another amp could give me something decent. Like, I tried an ashdown FA, but then they sold out. Great distortion, passable cleans.

Mostly, I'm asking if this is a better deal compared to the fender HRD.
groove tubes and a celestion speaker did wonders for my valveking. i've shown it to an enginner i know, and he was very impressed by the thick strong clean sound it gives, and the dynamics it has. the vavlekings fine, even better with mods...it just takes a bit more work to get a good sound than something like an engl or mesa. I'm not sure what the current fad of saying they suck is about, but for what they pay they are excellent value, and give some really good tone.
Quote by Def
groove tubes and a celestion speaker did wonders for my valveking. i've shown it to an enginner i know, and he was very impressed by the thick strong clean sound it gives, and the dynamics it has. the vavlekings fine, even better with mods...it just takes a bit more work to get a good sound than something like an engl or mesa. I'm not sure what the current fad of saying they suck is about, but for what they pay they are excellent value, and give some really good tone.

would you happen to have soundclips of the modded VK?
Quote by Reincaster
Mostly, I'm asking if this is a better deal compared to the fender HRD.

I'm not a huge fan of the Hot Rod, but I certainly believe it to be a better amp than even an upgraded Valveking. I'd stick with the Blues Deluxe, though.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.