Page 1 of 3
Alright guys, this is my first thread thrown into the Pit, and I could really use some advice. Just for starters, I'm not being really sensitive, because I think this was really demeaning to my character and was totally uncalled for. Here's the story:

I was walking in to the County Fair to check out Smashmouth in concert (they put on a good show, by the way). Anywho, I purchased my ticket and walked to the entrance, completely unassuming, as usual.

Now, I am wearing what I and most people would probably agree to as rather conservative: a knit hat, a collared argyle shirt, blue jeans, a wallet with chain, a white studded belt, black shoes, and a black hankerchief hanging from my back pocket (I carry one merely for utility, you never know when it could be useful).

So I walked into the gate, and was stopped by a security guard. He told me to tuck in my chain, because someone could pull on it or whatever. I was slightly annoyed, but I put it away in my pocket. Right after that, another guard told me to put my hankerchief completely in my back pocket. I was annoyed by this, also, but let it pass and put it away.

Thinking that I was done with that charade, I continued a few more steps where I was stopped by an officer. He told me to tuck in my chain. I told him it ws already in my pocket. He then demanded I completely unhook it from my belt and put it in my pocket. By this time, I'm exasperated and let out a sigh. He then takes a demeaning tone with me and tells me that I could take it back to my car or leave, and he's trying to be easy with me. I plainly unhook it from my belt and continue on my way, feeling completely profiled.

I'm not a bad person. I have no criminal record. I am a Christian, and play in church and in a Christian rock band. I am normally respectful of people and am very humble. Yet, I feel that I was profiled for my attire, and from what the First Amendment says, that is wrong.

Can you guys suggest anything I could do to strike back and get justice for this wrong against me? As you can probably tell, I'm very angry about this...so any help would be appreciated.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
you're lucky, my friend had to throw away his chain when we went to see Tool at the staples center...
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Wait until someone smashes your eyeball in with a chain, then you can complain all you want about chains and spikes at shows.
here's my advice:
get the **** over it
you were told to tuck in a chain and handkerchief, then talked to in a demeaning tone. big ****ing deal.
and like it makes a difference that your a christian
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme

My Profile

^^Check out my profile for some improv solos^^
Unfortunately it's part of life. You're just going to have to deal with it.
HaHaHaHa!
It happens.

I think that nowadays people are more scared of being sued, after you've hurt yourself, or someone else with your chain, rather than being accused of 'profiling' you.
Quote by Embodiment
Wait until someone smashed your eyeball in with a chain, then you can complain all you want about chains and spikes at shows.

It wasn't that kind of show. This was at a fair, and the concert was in grandstands. Besides the point, I saw other kids with chains and other things much worse off than mine. I don't get into many fights, either....I'm relatively diffusive about those things.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy

Quote by mh400nt
The chain could have been used as a weapon against you or someone else. Yes, security guards can get a little paranoid, but ultimately it was for your own protection.

Why would you carry a chain around anyway, it doesn't serve any practical purpose, is it some sort of fashion statement?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by High_o
here's my advice:
get the **** over it
you were told to tuck in a chain and handkerchief, then talked to in a demeaning tone. big ****ing deal.
and like it makes a difference that your a christian

It makes a difference because it was assumption. They assumed I was someone I'm not, and I know this kind of stuff happens. But for the law to do it....well, I should be able to fight back, because it's ethically wrong to profile.

Quote by KISSguitarist

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy

Quote by mh400nt
Boy do I hate those chains. This really big guy had one on and it dragged along the ground. I contemplated on stepping on it to be a dick....then I thought.

"He'll whoop my arse"

/end pointless rant

For the lulz anyways.
yo.

I BELIEVE
ummm... maybe they were doing their job, chains can come out of your pocket and get ripped off of your clothes etc...
every time i go to a metal concert i get told to take off my chain, every time.
and its for the better, cause if i go into the pit and my chain will get ripped off or could get cought on someone or something.
its not profiling its a safety hazard.

i think it's common protocol for every concert.
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
Last edited by dez_cole at Mar 11, 2007,
Quote by Mad Marius

Why would you carry a chain around anyway, it doesn't serve any practical purpose, is it some sort of fashion statement?

wallet chains, (good ones anyway) prevent you from being pickpocketed and can be used a self defense (or offensive if youre into assaulting people) weapon.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Mad Marius
The chain could have been used as a weapon against you or someone else. Yes, security guards can get a little paranoid, but ultimately it was for your own protection.

No. That's still an assumption. And the reason why I have a chain is for utility, because my wallet does have a habit of leaving me in odd situations.

Quote by KISSguitarist

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy

Quote by mh400nt
get a job as a security guard, and then let everyone who has a chain just go on
Uh all shows are like that.
Like seriously. How could they know if you were a "bad kid", or christian? Its a safety issue. ever show does that.
Quote by graybass_20x6
It wasn't that kind of show. This was at a fair, and the concert was in grandstands. Besides the point, I saw other kids with chains and other things much worse off than mine. I don't get into many fights, either....I'm relatively diffusive about those things.

See you may be a good kid, but they don't know that. They can't tell who's intending to attack others and who's just there to have fun. The other kids with their more agressive chains probably snuck in past the guards somehow. Personally, I think it's great to control that and not allow them with all this crap in at shows because I wouldn't want to end up next to a spikes and chains guy that's tripping out and looking for a fight or a little girl to molest. I prefer to keep myself intact, bruises from moshing are fine but I don't want to go home with pieces of me missing.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
wallet chains, (good ones anyway) prevent you from being pickpocketed and can be used a self defense (or offensive if youre into assaulting people) weapon.

I don't even fight people, and it wasn't that kind of concert. It was in grandstands, and all I did was sit there and enjoy it.

Quote by KISSguitarist

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy

Quote by mh400nt
So that's what they're for....I usually have 'pickpocket proof' pants or deep pockets anyways, plus my wallet is teh hueg.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
Boy do I hate those chains. This really big guy had one on and it dragged along the ground. I contemplated on stepping on it to be a dick....then I thought.

"He'll whoop my arse"

/end pointless rant

For the lulz anyways.

Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Quote by graybass_20x6

The guard doesn't know you so he doesn't give a shit and doesn't know that you are a good person. His job is to not let people with chains and weapons get in.
Put yourself in the guards place.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

yeah well you cant expect the security guard to know that you arent violent. If you are carrying that is often used as a weapon then they have to assume the worst for the safety of the other patrons.

Last.fm
Quote by urik
The guard doesn't know you so he doesn't give a shit and doesn't know that you are a good person. His job is to not let people with chains and weapons get in.
Put yourself in the guards place.

Still doesn't give him the right to let him attack my character and talk to me like I'm a retard.

Quote by KISSguitarist

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy

Quote by mh400nt
Anyways, one this arab kid came up to me one time and asked me for some w33d. I feel like a victim....
yo.

I BELIEVE

Unfortunately it's part of life. You're just going to have to deal with it.

+1
you're being oversensitive...
you weren't being profiled, is not like they said "nigga git ur sarry ass outta my white rok sho', we dont wan no gangsta's shootin up deeze perty folks"
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

-- Arthur Honegger

Quote by graybass_20x6
Still doesn't give him the right to let him attack my character and talk to me like I'm a retard.

Actually it does. He's a guard and violent people aren't going to be like "ok officer I'm really sorry. Here take my chain and my knife. Yeah I know that you are just doing your job. Give yourself a hurray".
A guard has to act harsh because that's the only way to deal with lith punks.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

dude, really.

How old are you? Get over it. You have no reason for "getting back at justice". They did nothing wrong to you. "Ethically wrong to profile"? Jesus Christ. Being accused of being someone you're not? How the hell are they to know what kind of person you are?! And by the way you're acting, it seems you're a bit of a whiney brat, IMO.

Are you black? or what's the problem here?
man, that sucks, but it happens.

Its hard to blame someone, but i mean stereotyping happens all the time, even if you dont notice. Stuff like that happens to me a lot too, and its tough to go through all the time, but i always think of how awful things must have been for African americans back in the 50s, and the jews back in the day, and its like..wow, i get off easy for being profiled and picked on for racial/class and style. It could be a lot worse, if anything im thankful that the world is just telling you to put your chain away instead of publically humiliating, and go as far as planned genocide treating you as if you were a lesser being.

i totally get why youre flustered and stuff about what youve gone through, im pretty sure its happened to tons of people everyday, but if you think about it, you got it easy. Just let it slide, i hate to say this, but im pretty sure itll happen again. I have a ton of christian friends, and theyve got piercings and tattoos, and they go through it all the time, but sooner or later youll learn to let it go. It sucks, but its never going away, unfortunately.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Quote by graybass_20x6

Maybe you would expect a guard who has to deal with punks and lunatics on a daily basis, to ask you politely with a smile on his face while keeping his pinkies up?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by graybass_20x6

you where carrying a weapon into a public place, he was doing his job, if he datained you for no reason or started verbally abusing you, then you might have something to complain about, but the guy was just doing his job.

Last.fm
Quote by CoreysMonster
dude, really.

How old are you? Get over it. You have no reason for "getting back at justice". They did nothing wrong to you. "Ethically wrong to profile"? Jesus Christ. Being accused of being someone you're not? How the hell are they to know what kind of person you are?! And by the way you're acting, it seems you're a bit of a whiney brat, IMO.

way to be the ignorant prick, you douche. (and thats not profiling you, thats based on what youve said)

seems like youve got something up your ass. This guy isnt crying and launching a world campaign, he's just discussing the issue. so discuss, dont bitch...read my earlier post,

VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Quote by Mad Marius
Maybe you would expect a guard who has to deal with punks and lunatics on a daily basis, to ask you politely with a smile on his face while keeping his pinkies up?

Yeah, if he asked kindly....kids would tell him to fuck off cause he doesn't have the status quo.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by CoreysMonster
dude, really.

I'm 18 years old, and I'm white on the outside. I'm usually a very docile person, and I've never had a problem with authority. I usually go along my merry way and nothing happens. It is wrong to profile.

Gosh, I didn't know so many people in the Pit took things lying down. It is wrong to profile someone just because of how they dress. It leads into social decline, where everyone is determined by their attire, not their thoughts or actions. In a way, clothes can be seen as skin, and there's already problems with that.

Quote by KISSguitarist

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy

Quote by mh400nt
wow, ur one sensitive dude, just put ur shit away and get over it, move on with your damn life, it's a safety issue that they have to deal with, he doesn't know if ur a good kid, or trouble, so he has to assume for the safety of others, and obviously u haven't dealt with security or police before, they are mostly assholes, it's part of their jobs, u can't really expect them to be nice about things
you werent gone after because of how you where dressed dude, they singled you out because you had a wallet chain (which are banned from most things like that). You actually got off easy because they only told you to tuck it in. Most places will kick you out or confiscate it.

Last.fm
Quote by ark
way to be the ignorant prick, you douche. (and thats not profiling you, thats based on what youve said)

seems like youve got something up your ass. This guy isnt crying and launching a world campaign, he's just discussing the issue. so discuss, dont bitch...read my earlier post,

dude wtf?

he's like "I have been treated injustly, and want to get back at justice for being ethically mistreated" just because some guard was trying to ensure his and other people's safety.
Seems like whining to me. Dude, it's NOT A BIG FSKING DEAL!
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
you where carrying a weapon into a public place, he was doing his job, if he datained you for no reason or started verbally abusing you, then you might have something to complain about, but the guy was just doing his job.

Everything can be classified as a weapon. My shoes are a weapon, my fists are a weapon, my words are weapons. I carry a chain to hold my wallet, not just to fling it around like a crazy person.

In a way, you are correct, and I've been through this before. But according to the situation, it was uncalled for.

Quote by KISSguitarist

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy

Quote by mh400nt
Quote by graybass_20x6

Gosh, I didn't know so many people in the Pit took things lying down. It is wrong to profile someone just because of how they dress. It leads into social decline, where everyone is determined by their attire, not their thoughts or actions. In a way, clothes can be seen as skin, and there's already problems with that.

Welcome to the real world, where people aren't nice and judge you by appearance. Deal with it.

Quote by graybass_20x6
Everything can be classified as a weapon. My shoes are a weapon, my fists are a weapon, my words are weapons. I carry a chain to hold my wallet, not just to fling it around like a crazy person.

In a way, you are correct, and I've been through this before. But according to the situation, it was uncalled for.

yeah, but wallet chains have a long history of being used as weapons, thats why most schools have benned them and you arent allowed to bring them into concerts.

Last.fm
Quote by cris9288
wow, ur one sensitive dude, just put ur shit away and get over it, move on with your damn life, it's a safety issue that they have to deal with, he doesn't know if ur a good kid, or trouble, so he has to assume for the safety of others, and obviously u haven't dealt with security or police before, they are mostly assholes, it's part of their jobs, u can't really expect them to be nice about things

unfortunately, thats what 'authority' has turned to. To create fear is to gain power? to humiliate and threaten is to be respected? listen to yourself, im not an activist against authority in any way, but seriously, sometimes you shoudl question what comes out of your mouth. Most of you are just submitting to your opression without questioning who youre listening to....anyway, that was pretty much a rant, take it with a grain of salt, im pretty sure half of you are shitting your pants reading that and getting your 'pwnage' ready. piss off, and read a book.

VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Page 1 of 3