Hey guy's I have been playing guitar for roughly 3 years now and I consider myself pretty good at technical ability and at playing in general. The problem is that I have a friend who is probably just as good as I am but when we are in public he is able to impress people and show off his ability and I am not. I know this sounds pretty lame but I hope you guys can sympathize with me and realize that being able to show off your guitar skills is a huge reason for practicing countless hours in your bedroom by yourself. I was wondering what some "cool", "impressive", guitar things would be that aren't too hard but it is alright if they are kind of challenging. Maybe some good riffs or parts of songs or something. Thanks a lot for helping me out UG.
Why try to show off? Just play like you normally would in public. People probably look at your friend and stereotype him as a cocky person. Just go out and play what you normally play. If you're trying stuff, just pick the catchy riffs from songs you know and play them.
Quote by AdamDK
Why try to show off? Just play like you normally would in public. People probably look at your friend and stereotype him as a cocky person. Just go out and play what you normally play. If you're trying stuff, just pick the catchy riffs from songs you know and play them.

Thanks for the advice but you see when I am practicing at home or whatever I am just figuring out songs or playing scales or learning new chords. Right now I am trying to increase my speed using a metronome so that I can play the faster songs that are out there or stuff like Slash's solos and stuff (can't yet). But please just help me out with some cool riffs or something....thanks.
Just learn some blues-rock licks, and bend the shit out of the G string. Non-guitarists love long bends.
Quote by Danno13
Just learn some blues-rock licks, and bend the shit out of the G string. Non-guitarists love long bends.

havent seen you around in ****in ages danno

its true, bends can sound very impressive to your average listener
learn some theme tunes for fun and then add in some cool effects?... inspector gadget theme for one make it sound all distorted with some palm mutes, use your imagination, learn a classical riff eg "ode to joy" or something like that lol
Just improvise on the minor pentatonic scale, practise it a bit so it doesnt sound like the same old shit, anyway people will be impressed, especially if you mention it was improv
The last thing you want to do is to become a show-off...
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Just learn a few sweeping, tapping licks. And also wh0re your whammy bar.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

"how to be cool" is the wrong thing to be asking on UG..
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by ScreaminBlues25
"how to be cool" is the wrong thing to be asking on UG..

I'm sorry screaminblues I guess I didn't read the rules of UG, I guess I should be asking deep and meaningful questions and not trying to be shallow and "cool"....you know I'm just gonna go out on a limb and call you emo.
Improvise the balls off the minor pentatonic. Add some tremolo picking in there to spice it up because non-guitarists love it when you play fast.
Quote by Amped
I hope you guys can sympathize with me and realize that being able to show off your guitar skills is a huge reason for practicing countless hours in your bedroom by yourself.

I tried to realize that, but it didn't work.

I play because guitar (and music) is fun .

I still sympathize though.

Throw some tapping into some improv. People like tapping.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
just be yourself.. dont try to be a somebody.. work your own style..... have fun... people will see that you've got some unique style.. and just have some fun...
My gear:

Ibanez RGR320EX
BOSS DS1 MODDED
BEHRINGER DD100
CHORUS
EQ

LINE 6 SPIDER III 75 WATTS
Closed because the OP is banned.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure