well ok it's not exactly new, it's a few years old. This bass was made in the 1970's in a place called "japan." i think it's made out of mahogany or swamp ash but whatever it is, it's heavy. i got it yesterday and it did have a broken input jack but that's sorted now so yeah. I am rather amazed to find that the tuners are still nice and smooth after all these years. The strings did sound like shit but they were like years old so i chucked them and got a new set.

the bass itself (sry about the shitness of the photos btw)

the headstock with the logo on it. (dunno nething about this company, is it shit?)

the bridge cover which i can't get on 'cos of the new string ball ends.

so yeah tell us what u think (ne gd, pos, waste of money, waste of energy etc...)
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
well, you tell us. whats it play like? sound?
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
It looks decent, your basic J copy. How's it play? Sound alright? As long as it plays well, then you've got a good bass.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
it plays pretty nice, actually- there isn't ne fret buzzing and the neck is very narrow, although it's quite thick, maybe i just need to get used to a 4 string again. It's slightly annoying that it's finished in nitrocellulose gloss tho so it's all sticky. also it sounds rather nice, it's not very powerful (of course my other bass is just insane) but it's really clear, when u play chords u can hear all of the notes rather than just a blur like with modern basses with active electronics. So yeah this is rather a nice contrast to my insane modern peavey with it's extremely loud and low endy active electronics.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Mar 11, 2007,
Looks nice, how much did you pay for it?
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
£149 then there was the price of the strap, the strings and a wallhanger.
EH

Hmmm...British money conversions...*whips out Mac currency widget*

So around $300 bucks then? That's not too bad for a decent bass and some gear.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
well more like 320 if u include the gear. but yeah this bass aint to bad at all i woz at band practice and since the bassist didn't show up and i hadn't tried the new strings on this i played bass (i usually do guitar) and we were playin heart shaped box and it sounded really gd. I'll get sum sound clips up if ne1 wants.
EH

thats pretty damn sexy

columbus made pretty decent guitars and basses. i love the tone on my series 2 lp copy
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Nice looking bass--I have a soft spot in my heart for older basses. Skater Dan is right, for knocks-off, Columbus made some quality items back in the day.
oh well that's good then 'cos i woz worried it might be shit!
EH

there was a article in a guitar mag I had where they were pimping a vintage columbus J just like this one. They did change the foam under the pickups as it had gone all groggy so you might want to watch out for that.
i woz thinkin of pimpin this bass. But whatever i do ill have to change out the electronics.
EH

Ouch...£149?

I have the same bass (albeit in slightly worse condition) which cost me £60 altogether AFTER having restored it/re-wired it. Then again...when I bought it, the electronics weren't functioning at all so...

If it's anything like mine, you've definitely got yourself a winner there though.
Yeah well at least 1-1/2 of the p/us work on this 1 (never really use the neck p/u neways.) I also forgot to mention the neck is a bit warped but i just have to adjust the truss rod a bit (a job which becomes a lot easier as soon as u realise that ur supposed to tighten the nut to straighten neck!)
EH