hey guys. i was wondering, i was plannin on upgrading pickups and at the same time upgrade a multi effects processor. i know most of you guys disagree, but me being on a budget and playing a wide variety of tones, i think thats the best route to take, plus i can get a decent one for cheap. anyways, will the upgraded pickups go to waste if its run through a multi effects board? or there is an improvement in tone quality? cause from what i read around here

pickups + analog effects + decent amp = raw tone

multi effects + decent amp = digital tone. so if i add the pickups will it still sound the same as the old pickups?

i know noob question. sue me.

thanks.
KsE

You know they rock.
it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks, we all have our own opinion on what sounds we like, i mean some people like marshall mg amps and some people hate them.
i have an epiphone les paul custom with alnico 2 pickups and a marshall dsl401 amp and i like to play it through my boss me50 on one of the preset patches as i like the sound i get from it
heh. i'll have to agree with the mg thing. my friend thinks its THA BEST! lol.

scottish nutter, would the sound sound the same if you used a different pickup? or another les paul with lower end pickups. hows it sound like?
KsE

You know they rock.
Check this out:
http://happybob.com/marc/digital_sucks/index.htm

To answer your question, yes and no. Yes, it'll be better. No, it won't be good.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by de.sandman
heh. i'll have to agree with the mg thing. my friend thinks its THA BEST! lol.

scottish nutter, would the sound sound the same if you used a different pickup? or another les paul with lower end pickups. hows it sound like?

im not sure, after i changed the pickups i couldnt remember how the old ones sounded, ibut i would guess that it wouldnt make much difference if your running it through a multi effects unit, you may hear the change better if you used a good amp but im not an expert on guitars, what amp do you have and what multi effects unit are you getting?
im playing it through a cube right now. 30. but when i gig i'll use the house PA and ive been a regular gig-er at a place with pretty good PA system. so the amps not really thing. as for the effects, i was thinking the korg ax1500g, its got good reviews for a cheap m-fx unit.
KsE

You know they rock.
I thinkt that digital tone takes the pickups' character away, but if you have really low output pickups you still won't be able to do metal.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
anybody got articles or anything about this particular subject? cause im really thinking of upgrading both of em but if its useless to upgrade my pickups if im getting the multi fx then i wont.
KsE

You know they rock.
Quote by scottish nutter
it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks, we all have our own opinion on what sounds we like, i mean some people like marshall mg amps and some people hate them.
i have an epiphone les paul custom with alnico 2 pickups and a marshall dsl401 amp and i like to play it through my boss me50 on one of the preset patches as i like the sound i get from it

Few people like MG amps, and if they do they invested and are stuck with them, and made them work.

As far as pickups, they will greatly vary your harmoics, and change your tone a little. Harmonics are what the pickup picks up, I'm no expert on pickups, so, I'm sure someone else can answer.

As far as pedals, you get what you pay for there are no shortcuts. If you want an overdrive pedal get an ibanez tube screamer, if you want anything else, go to electro harmonix, Vox also makes good overdrive pedals.
Analog pedals will sound much better. Boss, digitech, and Line 6 work, but they aren't perfect.
Single pedals>multi effects, always; modeling processors and such are gimmicks and what youre left with is a bunch of bad effects.