O.K. here's my situation. I'm putting in some EMG'S(81/85 ZW set) in an Ibanez rg320dx.I have everything in and soldered,except for the braided wires that goes to the top of the volume pot.I can't get the solder to hold.This is my first DIY pickup change (solder).How can get these wires connected?
make sure every thing is clean, tin the wire first (put a layer of solder on it) heat up the pot with the soldering iron (this will take a few moments depenting on how hot it is) apply solder then join the two together and they should stick if thats what you mean
I'm gonna live forever and if I don't suceed i'll die trying.
Originally posted by Liberation
Damn. You win Master Shake. I am not worthy!
Quote by Master Shake
make sure every thing is clean, tin the wire first (put a layer of solder on it) heat up the pot with the soldering iron (this will take a few moments depenting on how hot it is) apply solder then join the two together and they should stick if thats what you mean

Yeah, I cleaned everything and did just as you described except heating the pot.I was affraid to much heat would damage it.

the iron is a switchable 15/30 watt.
well, if you can get it to work on 30w, use that. If its still to hard, try getting a 35 or a 40. You dont wanna have to hold the soldering iron on it too long, might desolder some other wires on accident.

As for the solder not holding, make sure your using rosin core electronic solder. I knew a freind that tried to solder in his duncan customs with plumbing solder. :O
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'
Last edited by Black as Black at Mar 12, 2007,
my top tip is chill out, stay relaxed if u feel like you are stressed just take a step back and calm down and carry on when you have calmed down. i know i can get stressed when im soldering.

another tip is make sure every thing is going to the right place.

my final tip is practice. nothing more to say.
Yes as what has been mentioned before that much heat wont damage the pot. If you want a 'good' join you are going to have to. I usually crank the iron to full for this, its quicker If you are still having problems clean your stuff with a zinc chloride solution which may be more common as a solder solution that you should be able to find at any local harware store. Only side note is that over a long period of time it does start to corode the wires but this shouldnt end up being a problem and if it does just do it again. Also yes Rosin core solder.
I'm gonna live forever and if I don't suceed i'll die trying.
Originally posted by Liberation
Damn. You win Master Shake. I am not worthy!
Last edited by Master Shake at Mar 12, 2007,
I guess I should note that most soldering irons won't get hotter at a higher wattage, they just have more power in reserve should you need to solder a big component.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
I use a 40w soldering iron and I've had no problems with soldering onto pots. When I was only using 25w, I burnt out two pots before I got a good connection.
The only tip I can give is to make sure both the soldering iron and pot are clean and 'primed' with flux before you start soldering. Using a very small amount of flux on the pot should help you a lot too.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by The_0thersid3
my top tip is chill out, stay relaxed if u feel like you are stressed just take a step back and calm down and carry on when you have calmed down. i know i can get stressed when im soldering.

another tip is make sure every thing is going to the right place.

my final tip is practice. nothing more to say.

LOL..Yeah I know what you mean.It can be stressful especially when you don't know WTF you are doing.
Thanks fellow UG'rs for the great advice!Yes I am using (rosin core)solder. I did some practice and got a thick regular wire to hold to the pot real good.So I was thinking of using this wire as a jumper from pot to braided wire.Will this work? I think it should as long as there is a good connection,right???????