I was at a second hand store yesterday, and in the guitar section they had what looked to be a stick sort of thing about a foot and a half long, and maybe an inch in diameter, with 3 strings. the frets were all oddly spaced, and the bridge end was hollowed out with with a soundhole. Anyone have any idea what it is? I'll try to get a picture of it next time I'm there, but here's a drawing in paint of what it kind of looks like:
Well, if I'm right, it's traditional Russian instrument, but I don't know how the hell is it called in English. However, in my language (Czech), it's called "balalajka". I don't know how much this can help you. But I am pretty sure that it really is that Russian thing. I heard it once and it creates really nice sound, it could be nice enrichment of rock band sound.

This is a balalayka, so it's definitely not it.^

EDIT: If it's oddly spaced then I think it's not a western instrument. Maybe something arabic or african.
<Omri> I love trannys too..
Last edited by Hells_Bell at Mar 11, 2007,
I think it's a Stick Dulcimer. There's a guy round here who makes them with biscuit tin bodys! www.tinguitar.com/tindulcimer.

Quite a lot of fun to play, I usually just play it open and walk around on the top string. The "missing frets" mean you can't really hit a bad note.
It sounds kinda like a saz but a saz has a rounded end.

Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by musicianscentre
I think it's a Stick Dulcimer. There's a guy round here who makes them with biscuit tin bodys! www.tinguitar.com/tindulcimer.

Quite a lot of fun to play, I usually just play it open and walk around on the top string. The "missing frets" mean you can't really hit a bad note.

The sound clip on that site is awesome. It sounds like a mix of a banjo and a dobro.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Quote by Pleiadian
The sound clip on that site is awesome. It sounds like a mix of a banjo and a dobro.

I was quite surprised by how good they sounded! When I heard about them I thought they would be quite a novelty item but they are tons fun and sound great.
Quote by CanCan
It could be some sort of Chapman Stick.

I LOVE Chapman sticks. They just need to make one with a whammy bar that you use with your penis.
I'm back, you douchebags.
Quote by musicianscentre

that seems like what it is.. thanks.

and to those who said why not just ask the shop guy, I did, but it's a second hand store so the guy isn't specalized in stuff like that, so he was just like....uhh, I'm not sure.

like that? if so, its a dulcimer

edit: agh. too slow.
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
its a strumstick- a guitar-like intsrument for kids
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by Barboom

like that? if so, its a dulcimer

edit: agh. too slow.

I'd say that too, sick instrument. Pick one up if you have the means.
Dickless.
sure it wasnt just a disconnected guitar neck....

VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices