Hi ,

I have always wondered ever since i started playing barre chords why exactly they have that shape ...can someone explain it to me ....if i don't barre for a B major which is originally X24442 ....and play a XX444X ....will i be playing the wrong chord ? it pretty much sounds the same to me
well, you're not playing the root note with XX444X, so i guess it's not B major

I put my tobacco under my upper lip, just like anyone would do.

Yamaha RGX A2, Fender FM 212R.
Quote by Buckethead5
well, you're not playing the root note with XX444X, so i guess it's not B major
No, but he DOES have a B in there and it does sound the same, though I'm not sure about this.
The 4th on the G string is a B, XX444X (marked with BOLD )
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
oh yeah.. didn't think about that

I put my tobacco under my upper lip, just like anyone would do.

Yamaha RGX A2, Fender FM 212R.
It is a b major cause you got the root, the 3rd and the 5th note. When you're barring that it just adds an extra b and f# which makes the chord sound thicker or bigger. And they have that shape because they are just open string chord shapes moved up the neck. That shape there is an a chord moved up. 002220. When you bar you're using your first finger as a nut pretty much and you're just moving it up the neck.
Quote by inlovewithmusic
Hi ,

I have always wondered ever since i started playing barre chords why exactly they have that shape ...can someone explain it to me ....if i don't barre for a B major which is originally X24442 ....and play a XX444X ....will i be playing the wrong chord ? it pretty much sounds the same to me

X24442 = Bmaj
XX444X = Bmaj/F#

But Bmaj/F# Is often played 224442 for more sound
Last edited by xFilth at Mar 11, 2007,
Well, it makes it easier to play a large variety of chords by simply moving it around the fretboard.

Assuming EADGBE...

Take E major: 022100
In order of scale degrees, you have 1 5 1 3 5 1, which makes a major chord.

What if you want E minor? You just flatten the third: 022000
Which gives 1 5 1 b3 5 1.

What if you wanted E minor 7? You add the dominant (I believe?) seventh: 020000
Which gives 1 5 b7 b3 5 1.

So really, the barre chord in standard tuning is an excellent shape for moving anywhere, and you can create any variety of chords by simply moving a few fingers. I think that's what you were asking? It's that way 'cause it's simple and powerful.
Quote by xFilth
X24442 = Bmaj
XX444X = Bmaj/F#

But Bmaj/F# Is often played 224442 for more sound

what exactly is a Bmaj/F# ? i mean what does that denotation mean ...
The left of the slash is what chord it is, the right of it is what note is in the bass (the lowest note of the voicing)
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by inlovewithmusic
what exactly is a Bmaj/F# ? i mean what does that denotation mean ...

That means that you take the chord and change the root.

In B Major you have the following notes: B F# D#

So if you rearrange those in the formation that has previously been mentioned, F# is the lowest note being and therefore you could call it 'Bmaj/F#' (though it is ntoe necessary and you could call it 'B' if you wanted.)