Me and my father are planning on building an electric guitar. My father is a custom cabinet maker and he has al the tools for it. He has some long strips of thick wood called Douglas Fir and I wanted ot know if anyone has ever heard about using Douglas fir wood to build a guitar? If its a nice tone? If its even usable? Thanks..
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
Last edited by guitarkid7 at Mar 11, 2007,
ok well for a start it's spelt Douglas Fir. Apparently it's known for it's high strength and it's used to build aircraft so i'm sure it wouldn't snap under tension or nething. As for the tone, dunno, u will have to wait and see.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Mar 11, 2007,
But isn't Douglas Fir like in the pine-family or close to that?
If it is, I would image that it would be to soft for a guitar.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
not according to wikipedia.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
WikiPedia
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
its light and strong id believe its flexible too. its in the pine family
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
I don't know how it would be in terms of tone, my guess is perfectly good in its own way, but something to think about is the potentially difficulty in finishing it since I think most firs have very deep and open grains.
I have read somewhere that fir makes a great tonewood... don't remember where though... hey, as long as the wood is strong enough you can try it, pine is supposedly a shitty tone wood because its too soft and what not.... but the pinecaster tells us otherwise!

If you don't try new woods then you won't ever get a personal tone, wich is what I think most people want when building their own guitar, something personal.

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Quote by UniverseZero
...If you don't try new woods then you won't ever get a personal tone, wich is what I think most people want when building their own guitar, something personal.

So start your build/mod already! Glad to see you remember the PineCaster Don't remember how many times I've posted that when soft, or non-tonewoods are brought up. However, you forgot to paste the pics and YouTube link

BTW, again, good job on the Ultimate Refinishing sticky!

Quote by guitarkid7
Me and my father are planning on building an electric guitar. My father is a custom cabinet maker and he has al the tools for it. He has some long strips of thick wood called Douglas Fir and I wanted ot know if anyone has ever heard about using Douglas fir wood to build a guitar? If its a nice tone? If its even usable? Thanks..

fir is a great tonewood for the top of the guitar. Not for the back and sides. It'll give you a bright, tight tone. It's more difficult to work with than spruce or cedar because it splits easy but if your dad is a wood worker he should have no trouble. Make sure the wood is perfectly quarter cut with no runnout. Back and sides should be a hardwood of some sort. If you don't want to fork out money for mahogany or rosewood then oak, poplar, cherry, apple, pear, walnut, myrtle and maple are all good alternative woods to use. Again make sure that the back and sides are quarter cut.
Not taking any online orders.
cord pwns us all with his wood
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff