I've had a problem with my A string since I got my guitar. Whenever I play on any strings higher than the A string, it's like the sound is echoed on the A and it prevents me from playing anything above the A string, especially solos. I constantly have to keep that string muted. Does anyone know what could be causing the problem and how I could solve it?

(I'm not sure if it is only my A string, but this is what I've noticed).
is it rubbing against a fret? might just be sympathetic noise, tho.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
It is untouched when it is making the noise. And please explain this sympathetic noise to me?
i have that problem too...
you have to mute it with your hand
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

So this is a problem that can't be solved? Coz that ****ing sucks... Surely I wouldn't have to mute the rest of the strings with my hand while I'm soloing.
Toast, what guitar do you have this problem with?
certain frequencies when played can set off other string noise or buzz. u'll have to keep muting the string.

make sure ur guitar is set up as good as possible. check intonation and find ur 12th fret harmonics, maybe swap out the strings, but for the most part, ull probably have to mute the string.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
It isn't a certain note or anything that sets it off. If I played an open high E and then played the first fret, that A string would be making noise like crazy. It's horrible. I'll have a go at changing the strings and setting it up.

The only thing is, on videos, I never notice anyone having to mute their strings like this.
my guitar is from the "marshall rockkit"

i dont have a solution for tapping

i have an idea

set your pickups/humbuckers higher or lower maybe that is the solution
i dont have time to test it yet because i going to play soccer now
Quote by frankv

Last edited by Toast1337 at Mar 11, 2007,
Quote by Toast1337
my guitar is from the "marshall rockkit"

i dont have a solution for tapping

i have an idea

set your pickups/humbuckers higher or lower maybe that is the solution
i dont have time to test it yet because i going to play soccer now

Who said anything about tapping?

I've tried lowering the pickups and it makes no difference.
Quote by SeanG
It isn't a certain note or anything that sets it off. If I played an open high E and then played the first fret, that A string would be making noise like crazy. It's horrible. I'll have a go at changing the strings and setting it up.

The only thing is, on videos, I never notice anyone having to mute their strings like this.

just another thing to check that's probably a stupid question:

is your guitar being played loud? it could be feedback. (well yeah it's a dumb question but who knows).
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by SeanG
Who said anything about tapping?

I've tried lowering the pickups and it makes no difference.

when you are tapping you cant (or i cant) mute the strings with my hand so the strings are making noises
but if you dont tap you can mute the strings
Quote by frankv

Quote by Blompcube
just another thing to check that's probably a stupid question:

is your guitar being played loud? it could be feedback. (well yeah it's a dumb question but who knows).

It's definitely not feedback.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far, by the way.

And Toast1337, if you're trying to say that it is too hard to keep all of the other strings muted all of the time, then yes I agree with you.