from what i've read, analog sounds better, but is more expensive and less tonal variations are possible ..i think
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Digital has no moving parts which means less things that can break. Analog is regarded to sound warmer and depending what circles you run in "better." Though, well thought out digital devices can sound just as good or better than their analog counterparts. Some references are the Line 6 Modelers(Delay, Modulation, Filter) and the New Damage control Timeline.
Analogue modifies your signal, digital has to convert the signal into data, modify the data then convert it back to analogue. Invariably something gets lost in the transition, no matter how high the sampling rate.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Analogue modifies your signal, digital has to convert the signal into data, modify the data then convert it back to analogue. Invariably something gets lost in the transition, no matter how high the sampling rate.

Thats the reason why computers are not my hobby anymore,thank you very much.
Basically in most cases Analog > Digital

I guess digital can come up with more sounds but we all take quality over quantity.
Sent from my iPad.
some things are impossible analog though, like whammy pedals or the like.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
some things are impossible analog though, like whammy pedals or the like.

But octaves?
something i typed up a bit ago on the difference between analog and digital:

the true difference between analog and digital: analog is continuous and digital is discreet. now before you start going, wtf does that mean, let me explain. analog takes your signal and runs it through a bunch of components to give the propper effect. things like capacitors, resistors, transistors, and diodes are all used to control the voltage and current of the signal coming from the guitar.

digital instead converts your guitar signal into digital information, then runs it through digital filters to manipulate the sound. then this new data is converted back into an analog signal and sent to your amp.

again, you are probably wondering wtf that means for your pedal. it means that analog is going to what it does to the whole signal, but is limited in what it can do. you cant do more than space allows (such as having a very long delay time). also it will not be perfect because the components are not perfect, but fall within a tolerance. now this is actually what gives analog a warm sound, so this imperfection is actually good. now with digital it breaks the signal into pieces, so you lose everything between those pieces. now usually you wont lose much because a good sampling rate is used, but the loss is still there (even if not always apparent). then the signal is going to be affected the same way each time (not counting signal errors) because you are simply manipulating 0's and 1's. this is why some people feel digital sounds a bit sterile. the up side is you can do so much in such a small space that the possibilities are almost endless. you can also have very fine control over many different variables, which isnt always possible in analog.

conclusion: both have their places and uses. one cannot always be said to be better than the other because they are different. instead of worrying about analog versus digital, see what pedals sound good to your ear and what pedals do what you want, then buy those.
Quote by Ferdinandstrat
But octaves?

It's pretty hard to make a clean analog octave pedal. most all analog octave pedals fuzz the signal after dropping or raising it. The boss pedals maybe an exception, however, the shifter on the WH-1 is better.