Before i begin, excuse me if i typelikethis, the spacebaron this keyboard is mucked up lol.

Basically, my friends band are gettinga tadgood, and my mate wants to upgrade his gear. He currently runs a roland cube 60 through an AVT cabinet.
He says he is going to getthe AVT150 head, lolz. I know it isnt my place to intervine but he says posting a threadis all cool with him.

Are there any reccomendations better than the AVT? because i know that it isntthe greatest of heads, especially notat high volumes. ive reccomended engl but he isnt sosure.
His band got a grant off the council last year of £1000(about $1,931.58 according to xe.com)and he reackons he couldget similar money again, he also hasa bit of cash saved up, but im not sure how much, and for good reason lol.

Hisband plays kinda, metalcore/thrash/screamo heavy hard riffs so yeah suggest away....

p.s he wasgoing to get the XXX but for some reason changed his mind lol

Thanks
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by NoneMoreBlack
AVT is plenty fine. But how did they get a grant?

No it's not, it's a terrible amp, tell him to try out a Peavey 5150 or 6160. Also Engl are supposed to be great high gain amps
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by Yngwi3
His band got a grant off the council last year of £1000

how? and why?

but yes there are much better amps for that money. I'm not really sure about amps for those kinda genres though so i will let someone more knowledgeable reccommend something to you.

although this table is pretty handy if considering marshalls
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
Quote by NoneMoreBlack
AVT is plenty fine. But how did they get a grant?

Yea, how did he get a grant and form what council?
Tell him to get the XXX. First off, the gain channel on that thing(Marshall) isn't too great, nor will it do the genres you're proposing. The clean is passable, that's the only redeeming thing about that amplifier line.
Why the hell would he go from an XXX to an AVT. Tell him to go with the XXX or for like 100 bucks more the 6505.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Tell him to get the XXX, a JSX, a 6505, an ENGL or a Mesa.

/thread.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
lmao thanks, he's definitly moved on from the AVT now.

What ENGL's would do these genres justice? and when i get my 6505 i'll let him have a play to see if i can sway him haha
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

I'd try to avoid Peavey and Mesa as greendayguitar suggested. Altho they make very good amps, they're not good value in the UK compared to in the US. Unless you're in love with the sound they produce, you can get more for your money elsewhere.

For what you play I'd probably look into ENGL, maybe used to get more for your money. I can't think of any other high-gain amps within your budget off the top of my head tho. I'm sure others will contribute though.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
ok cheers people- any ENGL heads in particular?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

engl fireball/blackmore or laney vh100r. he'll want to change the cab too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?