Looking to replace the stock pickups in my epi les paul. I cover anything from metalica, to foo fighters, to pink floyd, to nirvana. Almost all forms of rock excluding the heaviest of it. I have been looking at these, give me your input.

1. Seymour Duncan SH - 5 and SH-2

2. EMG 85/81

3. Gibsons, not sure which ones to consider on that one.
Not the EMGs
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Not the EMG's. If you want to play all types of music then you turn around and RUN, don't walk, you RUN away from EMG. They are good pickups but they are very limited.

The SH 5 SH 2 combo is a good one. It means you can play rythem and cleans in the neck. Then rythem and leads in the bridge. I tend to think that the SH 1 in the neck makes for a more versital guitar. Because the SH 1 has fewer windings it's sounds clearer which makes it so you could pull off some nice sounding leads from the neck position.
Not taking any online orders.
duncans(the SH 1 or SH 2 with the SH5) or the 490R 498T gibsons
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl (Ned/chav) annoying me on the bus.

Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"

Her: Facial expression was priceless - "What??! Noo!"

Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."

She then turned away and whimpered.
ok, so im pretty much decided on the duncans, but still need advice

1. SH-1 or SH-2 in neck
2. SH-4, SH-5, or SH-6 in bridge
JB/Jazz. Or, maybe a Tony Iommi in the bridge and something cleaner in the neck? (Hell, maybe even an Angus in the bridge)
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by metrobunny08
the JB is the SH-4 correct? would it be hard enough for the harder stuff i play?

Yes, it is the SH-4. And I was ablem to use it for Metallica stuff, but do not forget that the majority of your tone comes from your amp. Also, here is a guide to Gibson pickups if you are really interested.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by SupremeACL
Yes, it is the SH-4. And I was ablem to use it for Metallica stuff, but do not forget that the majority of your tone comes from your amp. Also, here is a guide to Gibson pickups if you are really interested.

what? thanks for the advise also, keep it coming!
i'd go with the duncans out of those.

i'd prefer a 59 in the neck to a jazz, more versatile.

also, you might want something like a custom 5 for the bridge, more versatile again.

though, what's your budget and what's your amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
+1 with Dave.

I definatley say get the 59 in the neck if you're at a SD budget.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
The SH 4 is a very muddy pickup. I wouldn't recomend it if you want to play rock and roll leads.

The SH 5 has a brighter high end and a lower low end than the SH 6 but it doesn't drive the amp quite as much. If you need the extra output then go for the the SH 6 but if you don't really need it, then you will get more versitility from the SH 5

If you want to be able to do good leads from your neck then go with the SH 1, if you don't care if you can do leads from the neck, you just want a good rythem pickup, then get the SH 2
Not taking any online orders.
^ +1 on cord.

Also, I'm not sure metrobunny needs a distortion pickup. He (she?) says all kinds of rock, excluding the heaviest. A distortion-style pickup could be working against that. In my opinion.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
OK! im definatly getting the 59' in the neck, just down to either SH-6 or SH-5 in the bridge. In all fairness, even though i say "i dont play the HARDEST of stuff," thats a pretty general statement. I still do occasionaly, and my band/studio covers a LOT of different influences. VERSATILITY!!! something that can still get the job done, regardless of what im playing. Thanks, still open for suggestions.
have you told us what your amp and budget is yet? I think I asked that several posts ago.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd second the Custom or Custom 5 - I like that little bit of sponginess you get from the Alnico V magnet, but if you want something a little sharper then the normal Custom is better.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ok, im gonna soon be replacing my crappy one with either a Vox AD50VT, or a Fender HRD. my budget doesnt really restrict me.