um...

Just buy a good brand. Don't buy strings if they cost less than 5 dollars a pack, other than that it's just personal preference. I like GHS 10's.

If you're new to guitar you should probably start on 9's because they feel softer to play on.

edit:

Around here ernie ball's are very popular, they're also good. I recommend staying away from Gibson and Fender strings, they tend to not last very long, and cost a lot of money.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Last edited by hamish5178 at Mar 11, 2007,
I use D'adario 9's , pretty much stick with any of these companies and you can't go wrong
^ There better for acoustic guitar though.

Try either D'addario or Ernie Ball. Most new people use 9s and work up. As you get used to 9s, after say a month or two, try some 10s.
Been away, am back
D'addarios are the strings that i use for almost 2 years now.. they have good tones, and they last longer than those of Fenders. ( i dont know but to me fenders are not that good...) Dean Markley strings are also good...

or even

try using acoustic strings and put them on your electric guitar!! hahaha... (hmmm i wonder what will happen.....)
My gear:

Ibanez RGR320EX
BOSS DS1 MODDED
BEHRINGER DD100
CHORUS
EQ

LINE 6 SPIDER III 75 WATTS
I use D'Addario's. Dean MArkleys have to be boken in a lot or they will barely stay in tunew. D'Addarios in my opinion are broken in before packaged because they stay in tune right out of the box. They rarely snap too.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez