Hi ..can this be considered as an E5? ... X2245X ? ... i found it in a chord dictionary online ... what i noticed is that it has got the notes of an E5 but the root note is not an E ...isn't that mandatory in any chord ? I mean the deepest note has to be the root note right ?
yes that chord is an E5. But u gotta play all the strings so it'll be 022450. it has lots of root notes, i e. e notes. the lower most and top most open strings are to be played which give the open e. Then there is the 5th fret on the b string which is also an e!!!

Cheers!

The way its played, ie, 022450, Very nice sounding chord indeed.
Quote by metalman12
Im gonna upgrade to a marshall mg.

Anyone can be inspired
And practice all day
But its those that are
Inspired each and every day
That achieve success
Last edited by meharvan at Mar 11, 2007,
thanks dude ... now heres the interesting part , that chord can be moved up and down the neck...so one step up and u'll get a F5 ...but here the prob is that there's no way by which i can play an F on the 6th string, cuz its on the 1st fret. Is it ok to play it without including the 6th string ? .... i mean ....what i'm confused about it if when you play a chord the lowest note "HAS" to be the root note
You don't have to play it with open strings, that other fellow was wrong. What your saying is more correct. The chord is really just a power chord with the 5th in the bass instead. Slide it and move it as you will.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
The lowes note does not have to be the root note in a chord!!! And you also wouldn't have to play all 6 strings in the chord. x2245x is fine. If the lowest note is not the root note of a chord then the chord will be an inversion. For example in C, C E G is the C major chord. When you play E G C it is the first inversion of it.

Hope this helps some
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Quote by inlovewithmusic
thanks dude ... now heres the interesting part , that chord can be moved up and down the neck...so one step up and u'll get a F5 ...but here the prob is that there's no way by which i can play an F on the 6th string, cuz its on the 1st fret. Is it ok to play it without including the 6th string ? .... i mean ....what i'm confused about it if when you play a chord the lowest note "HAS" to be the root note

No, the lowest note in a chord does not HAVE to be the root note. Taht's just what is most common for most guitar chords (piano chords however, use inversions - which is basically just rearranging the notes in the chord to make it easier to play in combination with other chords - a lot).

You are right that what you have there is just a plain old E5 chord, but it's just a different way of playing it. There are plenty of different ways to play any chord, and I personally enjoy expanding my knowledge of chord

Also, yes if you move that up one fret it would be called F, and even further up the position will still work. It's just like a barre chord (which if you don't know, you should check out).
thanks guys ....i love the sound of this chord....but was a little confused on if the lowest note has to be the root note ....thanks
I know u dont hav to play all the strings in a chord. But in case of teh chord heez mentioning, e5, it will soun fuller if u play all the strings. Of course, if u move it up to an F5, u can still play all the strings because 'e' is in the key of F major. But in that case it would become a Fmaj7add5 chord. So its better tto play just the A, D, G and B string in case of the F5.
Quote by metalman12
Im gonna upgrade to a marshall mg.

Anyone can be inspired
And practice all day
But its those that are
Inspired each and every day
That achieve success
Quote by meharvan
I know u dont hav to play all the strings in a chord. But in case of teh chord heez mentioning, e5, it will soun fuller if u play all the strings. Of course, if u move it up to an F5, u can still play all the strings because 'e' is in the key of F major. But in that case it would become a Fmaj7add5 chord. So its better tto play just the A, D, G and B string in case of the F5.

Quote by meharvan
But u gotta play all the strings so it'll be 022450.

Well, if you knew you didn't have to play all the strings in the chord, why did you say you had to? Moving it up a fret would not give you an Fmaj7add5. I suggest you brush up on your chord naming
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.