ok i have a Line 6 spider II stack so i need new amp AND...

iv decided for the Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 with a 1960a CAB

but!

i was told there is no point in getting the DSL 100 because a 50 watt valve is easily loud enought for gigs and such!

but what is the difference between the DSL 100 and the DSL 50 apart from volume??

Plus how much louder is a valve amp compared to a normal? i heard up to double as loud!
well there's a lot more clean head room with the 100 than the 50. not a big deal to me since both are loud as hell.

and when my 5watt epi valve junior is cranked and it rivals my 120watt crate head when it's at like 7 o'clock.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
well there's a lot more clean head room with the 100 than the 50. not a big deal to me since both are loud as hell.

and when my 5watt epi valve junior is cranked and it rivals my 120watt crate head when it's at like 7 o'clock.

WHAT!!!!!!

so valves are SERIOUSLY loud!

i play my 150 at about 4-5 at gigs! so would i still be below 5 on the 50 watt valve?

but in your own opinion is there a point paying £100 more to get the DSL 100?
DSL50 would be fine, just if you really want to keep your cleans clean at high levels (im talking past 5 pushing onto 7 on volume i reckon) then the DSL100 is good. But i think a lot of people prefere the DSL50, just because you can get a better tone at a lower level.

i say DSL50 and it will easily be loud enough.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club
100 watts is overkill. You'll only ever need 30 watts valve for a moderately sized gig.

As for all the ss vs valve watts stuff...
Essentially, a watt is a watt. Just a measurement of output, so there no sense in people saying 15 watts ss = 30 watts valve. Because that doesn't make any sense.
Valve amps just have a different way of projecting it. To make it seem louder. But in theory it's not. Like adding a 4x12 cab onto your amp would make it seem louder.
But don't get me wrong, a 30 watt valve amp is much more gig capable than a 30 watt SS.
haha, yeah pretty much what stooja said. and i screwed up, by 7 o'clock i meant to say 7/10. i'd say get the 50.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by Stooja
DSL50 would be fine, just if you really want to keep your cleans clean at high levels (im talking past 5 pushing onto 7 on volume i reckon) then the DSL100 is good. But i think a lot of people prefere the DSL50, just because you can get a better tone at a lower level.

i say DSL50 and it will easily be loud enough.

Thanks man well i wont be using clean that much plus i like a dirty clean. But with the spider II the biggest let down is the metal tone on it its so quite!!!

so you have to use a pedal and it just sounds NASTY!

I have a pod xtlive line 6 pedal will that be ok to use thru the marshall?

but ill use the amps tone only use pedal for effects if i need to which i dont think i will!

but all i need in the amp really is:
-The volume for gigs and practises
-The amazing marshall tone at gig volume levels
-And good tone for me to play at home!
You could get the DSL401, its only 10W less and will cost you less considering you dont have to buy the cabinet. Its LOUD, trust me and unless you are doing like over 500people gigs then you wont need anymore I dont think
Quote by mayht
You could get the DSL401, its only 10W less and will cost you less considering you dont have to buy the cabinet. Its LOUD, trust me and unless you are doing like over 500people gigs then you wont need anymore I dont think

i dont want that amp!

dsl 50 or 100 is where im heading because i want an amp to last me years!

but im thinking DSL 50 at the moment!
they may sound a little different, they'd (presumably) have different output transformers, etc.

I actually wouldn't advise the dsl401, it sounds a bit different to the head- how much of that is the speakers is hard to tell.

Best bet is to try both the 50 and 100, if at all possible.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by beckyjc
To make it seem louder. But in theory it's not. Like adding a 4x12 cab onto your amp would make it seem louder.

actually, each doubing of the speakers does in fact ad +3dB SPL, everything else being equal.

my vote is for the DSL50 and a good cab.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I have a 50. Definately gig capable, no questions asked.
Member #4 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
yeah the Diffs Between 50 watt and 100 watt in volume ( distorted ) is not much at all , i like to keep my power selector on 50watts , it has a much better distorted sound on 50 watts than on 100watts ( depending on the Volume lvl ) . naa dude , if you strapped for cash go with the DSL 50 .

Dang these jcm2000 are soooo popular !!!!!
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz El diablo 100 Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

Korg AX1500G multi effects pedal
Quote by II HaZzA II
but in your own opinion is there a point paying £100 more to get the DSL 100?

No point at all. In fact, you'll probably be spending extra money to have an amp that's less useful to you. You want to crank a tube amp a little to get that tube saturated sound. That's what tube amps are all about. With 100W, up on stage, you may never get that thing above 3 on the dial. The soundman will be harrassing you to turn it down so he can mic and mix properly. And you'll be sad 'cause you have this huge amp and never get to play it live when it's sounding it's best.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^ yeah. the only reason for going with the 100 is that it may sound very slightly different, and you may prefer that sound.

But if all you're concerned with is the loudness, the 50 would be more than grand.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Whoa, major bump
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
^

Didn't even notice (as usual).
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.