While I was in the guitar shop, trying out the guitars, telecaster caught my eye. I played it, and man, it's clean tone was amazing. Maybe I'm slightly biased towards blues(I like them so much) so that might be reason why...

But I don't think I'm getting telecaster for my first guitar since I'm looking for more verstile guitar. However, for my second guitar I decided to go with telecasters. But there are a lot of models around and I heard from the guy working at the shop says that some models are much worse than the other.

My question is, which telecaster model should I avoid or get?
Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Get your first guitar, learn how to play it well and then think about your second guitar.

If you're gonna persist though, I have a FMT Tele and its great.
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
Fender Standard Teles are almost as good as the american teles but cost like half the price. Dud u should get ur playing down first before u buy a new guitar. I'd say go with the mexican tele
A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
theres always the nashville tele, which has a strat pickup in the middles position for those oh so good strat tones as well
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Man...I have spend whole week tried to get my first guitar(I was sick and tried of acoustic that I had for ages, not that I don't like playing it...). I have money and everything but I just can't decide...

Played some blues riff on guitars but only one that drawed me in was telecaster(I kind of liked really warm sound of les paul, I think I will go for les paul for my first guitar.). But then again, I don't want to play only blues with my guitar so I want to buy telecaster after I got my first guitar for only blues and clean tone purposes.

I played mexican and american. Even though american cost almost tiwce as much as other one, the sound wasn't twice as better(kind of disappointed).
I eventually decided on the vintage '52 reissue... it actually has some annoying features because it's a faithful reproduction (such as a 3-saddle bridge, odd vintage tuners) but you get used to it. The tone is fantastic and is exactly what you want a telecaster to sound like. It's surprisingly versatile, too. You can get excellent lead tones for almost any genre, although it's obviously best for bluesy licks and you won't get that cutting double coil sound. For rhythm it excells on clean for anything, really. For distorted rhythm it is definitely biased toward a more pop-oriented sound.

I've played American standard teles quite a bit, and they also are quite nice sounding. They have the nice high-end sparkle that you want out of a tele. Just a warning, the cheaper ones usually sound like a cheap imitation; when you turn the tone knob up they get very harsh.

Don't write off a tele as a specialty guitar. You see them pop up in every genre of music (except metal and the like) for good reason.

P.S.: I didn't realize this was your first guitar. You may want to consider starting out like most of us and get any hunk of junk that plays well. Most guitars at least sound okay with a good amp; consider playability first.
Last edited by brandnewjunkie at Mar 11, 2007,
See if you can get a Highway 1 Tele. I read reciews of both the Highway 1 Strat and Tele in a guitar magazine I bought after Xmas, and it seems really good value for the money.
Quote by brandnewjunkie
Don't write off a tele as a specialty guitar. You see them pop up in every genre of music (except metal and the like) for good reason.

Good point @_@;; I will keep that in mind.
what type of music do you mostly play? what's your amp? EDIT: and budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Blues is my main genre of music to play but that does not mean I don't play anything else(well, metal is not my taste I will tell you that much). For the amp, I already decided to go for roland cube or 30. For budget problem, I can get a lease on the guitars so it is not a huge problem for me. But I don't plan to spend more than 1000$ for my first guitar which will be a huge waste for me.
^ well, i'd definitely say that if you mostly play blues, you'll get a much nicer tone if you split that budget more evenly- something tube-based is almost essential for blues. Something like a fender blues junior would be really, really nice.

You can also play rock with a tele without too many problems- that tele bridge pickup is a lot more versatile and fatter-sounding than some bridge single coils.

Will you be gigging?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
will you be gigging?

also, just to add, if you're willing to go to $1000, I'm not sure there are any to really avoid... I mean, it's mostly personal preference. Even a mexi standard tele is pretty nice, in the grand scheme of things.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would call Rage metal, and Tom Morello uses a tele in all their drop D stuff (killing in the name of is one example). Teles can be as versatile as you want them to be. That being said, I would never recommend one for Death Metal (i'm sure it could be done with the right amp and pedals though).
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
. . .seriously just get a tele with a humbucker, a nashville tele or something.

Or as your first guitar get a mexi tele and your second a different guitar, you don't need the humbucker, tele's CAN do this stuff, its your amp that needs to be able to do it.
And its not like when you try to do metal with a tele and a fender blues junior (Just an example with amp) that it just doesnt provide sound.