ok so i have this shit guitar that im just doing random customizing jobs on it.i already put an amp that runs on 2 9 volt batteries in it which was actualy cool becuase it gives it a weird ghost like sound because of the feed back.but i am thinking of trying to make it fretless so i can get better bends and slides on it because it was refretted by previous owner and it is a sucky job on re fretting.so how would i go about getting the fretwire out?attack it with hammer and flat head screwdriver/chisel.or is there an easier less destructive way?i will search for other threads about defretting bass' but any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance,
Devin
well they have special tools that you vcan buy that take the frets out without aloowing the tang to tear the wood. but i know that whatever you do its a good idea to take a saudering(sp?) iron and touch the frets with it to melt the glue
oh and btw dont do bends on a fretless. it will scratch and tear up the wood. instead do a vibrato like on a violin.just slide back and forth really fast
^It's spelled soldering iron

defret it from 12 fret and up, that would be cooler.

bends won't hurt the fretboard, as long as you got some flatwounds on. But anyway, it's really unnecessary to bend on a fretless as you can have the "true" gliss-effect
i dont have my soldering iron working due to cat biting wire.(it wasnt plugged)so would a wood burning kit type thing get hot enough to do it?and would wood filler work to fill it in(im trying to not spend any money on custom jobs to this guitar)
fretless guitars are sweet ive played one before. some jazz guy uses one
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
Quote by devinb132
i dont have my soldering iron working due to cat biting wire.(it wasnt plugged)so would a wood burning kit type thing get hot enough to do it?and would wood filler work to fill it in(im trying to not spend any money on custom jobs to this guitar)

Actually that is what i used when i experimented w/ defretting. It worked fine, but its slower then a soldering iron. Not too sure about wood filler though.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

im juts using the filler because its something i have around im still going to epoxy the neck, its just because the filler is such a lighter tan color than the ebony fretboard i think it would look cool and still be able to see where each fret begins and ends.if not i can always go to 84 lumber and get some maple 1/8 or 1/4 inch board and use wood glue to put that in im just trying to make this all without spending any more than 10 dollars which ive already spent 3 on solder
and agian is there something besides a defretter i could use to get it out.would tapping it with a hammer and flat head work?
if you got it hot, you might be able to tap it out with an awl. i wouldn't try a flat head screwdriver though.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Bending's harder on fretless guitars, y'know. Not easier. It's important that you know this.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.