Could people put the main ENGL's into...idk, categorys for genres, because i would like to learn a bit about them seeing as people seem to praise them so much, so which ones would be good for thrash, others for metalcore e.t.c?

ta

Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I think this'd be a good idea
so bump
Esp Ltd EC-400
Wylde Overdrive
Dano Eq
Fab Chorus
Boss Ns-7
Boss Me-50
Jcm 800 (to be replaced soon)

BIG
ENGL are all pretty damn versatile. You can get almost any metal sound out of any really. From my experience. Some have better cleans - less gain. Some have not so good cleans - more gain. The Powerball has both? I liked tha amp the bes outof them all. Very versatile. Cleans are nice and channel 3 is about as high gain as you'd need. Channel 4 is like extreme grind muddy as **** death metal distortion.
I think kinda like the Marshall table
like, what is best at..., what is ok at...., what has most to least gain,

that kinda stuff
Esp Ltd EC-400
Wylde Overdrive
Dano Eq
Fab Chorus
Boss Ns-7
Boss Me-50

BIG
Ok, so here's a little list from cheapest to most expensive, excluding combos, Thunder and Screamer (since I know pretty much nothing about those.) NOTE: I have picked all of this up from other people on here and the Harmony Central forums, so take it with a grain of salt.

Fireball - Extremely basic, two channel, one EQ amp. 60w. Insane brutal high-gain sound, and surprisingly good clean; not much in between. Has a lower-mid hump and can sometimes have a hard time cutting through without cranking mids and presence.

Blackmore - 4 channels, one EQ. 100w. More versatile than the Fireball, better at medium-gain rock stuff. Not necessarily as br00tal as the Fireball, but plenty heavy. More bright and cutting than the FB.

Powerball - 4 channels, two EQs. 100w.Similar to the Fireball in voicing and characteristics. Again, an awesome all out metal head with surprisingly good clean. From what I hear, the channel 2 (crunch) sucks and channel 4 has too much gain and compression to be of much use.

Savage - Similar to the Blackmore in voicing and brightness. 4 channels, two EQs. 120w. More modern metal suited than the Blackmore, but again with much more useable medium-gain than the PB and FB.

Invader - 4 channels, 4 EQs. One of the darkest voiced ENGLs. Extremely versatile, and LOUD (150 watts). I've heard it described as having a looser and woodier tone; not what you'd typically expect from an ENGL.

Special Edition 670 - Pretty much at amazing at anything you could care to do with it. Don't know a whole lot about this one, other than that it's awesome (which it had better be, since it's $3700.)
Last edited by De Amazing Blob at Mar 13, 2007,
the ones I have tried. I'm just going to put the genre it's best at.

Fireball- death metal, thrash, black metal

Blackmore- early 80's thrash, Classic Metal, blues

Powerball-thrash, death, black, grind, Hardcore, classic rock, basicly anything you want
Quote by De Amazing Blob

Savage - Similar to the Blackmore in voicing and brightness. 4 channels, two EQs. 120w. More modern metal suited than the Blackmore, but again with much more useable medium-gain than the PB and FB.

Wrong. The Savage is its own amp and one of ENGL's older models. The Savage 120 is the big brother to the Savage 60, which is the predecessor of the Fireball amplifier.

Its probably one of ENGL's darker amps.

Fireball - Extremely basic, two channel, one EQ amp. 60w. Insane brutal high-gain sound, and surprisingly good clean; not much in between. Has a lower-mid hump and can sometimes have a hard time cutting through without cranking mids and presence.

Wrong, its based on the Savage 60, which is not similar to the Powerball (I noticed you edited that out? or was it somewhere else in the post)

Doesn't have a "Lower mid hump" it just isn't as spiked as a Powerball or Screamer.

Blackmore - 4 channels, one EQ. 100w. More versatile than the Fireball, better at medium-gain rock stuff. Not necessarily as br00tal as the Fireball, but plenty heavy. More bright and cutting than the FB.

This is a middle ground between a Savage and a Powerball. It's open and gainy yet not as high gain as a Powerball. Has lots of punch. Its 'br00tal' enough to play death metal with ease, so its 'br00tal' enough.

Powerball - 4 channels, two EQs. 100w.Similar to the Fireball in voicing and characteristics. Again, an awesome all out metal head with surprisingly good clean. From what I hear, the channel 2 (crunch) sucks and channel 4 has too much gain and compression to be of much use.

Not similar to the Fireball at all. Another ENGL original. Crunch channel is good for what it is, a crunch channel. CH 4 has gain and compression because its supposed to be the lead channel, thusly, you want added gain and compression when playing extremely fast runs like associated with most metal players (the demographic for which this head is marketed)

Invader - 4 channels, 4 EQs. One of the darkest voiced ENGLs. Extremely versatile, and LOUD (150 watts). I've heard it described as having a looser and woodier tone; not what you'd typically expect from an ENGL.

There are supposed to be 3 versions of the Invader released, not just a 150w head.. Its their solution to darker amplifiers like Rectifiers and bears a striking resemblance to them. Is not "Extremely Versatile" from every clip I've ever heard.

Now that that's over- please don't spread a bunch of misguided remarks around UG. Its bad enough that people do it as frequently as they do, but on such a post like this in such a definitive way is kinda ridiculous, man.

To the threadstarter:

Do your own research, listen to some clips. Its not hard to figure out what does what if you just look around on forums and listen to a few clips.
thanks for the replies guys- i really want to try a powerball first hand now lol
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

I'd +1 what genocide says.

In my own personal opinions, and bear in mind I'm judging the savage based on my savage se, which is similar, but a little different:

Thunder: haven't tried.

Classic: more vintage-sounding. warm tone.

Screamer: all-round amp- will do metal, but I wouldn't buy it if metal is your main style. YMMV, of course.

Fireball: Nice cleans, and brutal high gain. Quite compressed. Not much in-between clean and mega high gain. probably closer to a savage than powerball, as genocide says.

Blackmore: feels a bit like a stripped-down savage in terms of gain, though it does have its own sound. More open-sounding, too. Again, this one is good if you play some 80's metal (or even some classic rock) in addition to modern metal.

Powerball: mega high gain, good cleans and decent crunch channel. Pretty versatile considering- though if you don't play mostly modern metal, I'd say a savage or blackmore is a better choice for versatility.

Savage: Still gets pretty high gain, not just as high gain as powerball, and has one channel which will do the modern metal thing instead of two, like the powerball. This is the one to go for (or blackmore) if you play a lot of 80's metal (or even classic rock) in addition to the modern metal- not to say the powerball won't do it, but the blackmore/savage will do it better.

Invader: haven't tried. Don't really want to judge by clips either, as derek (from rocksolid) has said on other forums that they changed something about how they were recorded (i think).

SE: gets super heavy (like a powerball) but has the versatility of the blackmore or savage. Super-expensive, though. Powerball probably is slightly more brutal sounding too. Put it like this, you could buy a powerball and blackmore for less than an SE...

I think. I'm in a bit of a rush (dinner). I'll check back later to refine this.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
wow, cheers Dave & Genocide

Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

^

just wait till genocide gets back, he'll probably want to add a little to what I've written- apart from anything, I haven't tried the powerball in a while.

EDIT: also, to add to what genocide said about the blackmore, I didn't think it had as much out and out gain as the fireball, but I liked it a lot better, even for metal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What about the Thunder for MoP kind of gain/tone, but with Slayer+Megadeth (thrash in general) playing?
Esp Ltd EC-400
Wylde Overdrive
Dano Eq
Fab Chorus
Boss Ns-7
Boss Me-50

BIG
Quote by Guitarist X
What about the Thunder for MoP kind of gain/tone, but with Slayer+Megadeth (thrash in general) playing?

The thunder isn't exactly a high gain type head and if you're playing predominantly metal you should probably look elsewhere.

Quote by Dave_Mc
^

just wait till genocide gets back, he'll probably want to add a little to what I've written- apart from anything, I haven't tried the powerball in a while.

EDIT: also, to add to what genocide said about the blackmore, I didn't think it had as much out and out gain as the fireball, but I liked it a lot better, even for metal.

I didn't think the Blackmore had more gain per se, but it still had PLENTY of gain, ie, more than enough to use a medium output pickup and still get a high gain tone.

all in all your description was pretty close. the blackmore is like a stripped down Savage that's a bit more open with less gain (its less of a modern amp but still high gain).

In terms of genres I guess its pretty easy, they get progressively more asskicking names as they get harder. Generally, the name reflects teh amp's tone.

IE, classic gives you a classic-esque gain level, whereas a Savage is relatively high gain.

The SE is obviously the be-all-end-all ENGL that is supposed to be (most) of their amps in one.

If you're looking for lower gain tones you should look at a Classic Thunder or Screamer, higher gain tones you should look to the Savage, Blackmore (stripped down savage) Powerball SE or Invader (invader sounds like shit)
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Now that that's over- please don't spread a bunch of misguided remarks around UG. Its bad enough that people do it as frequently as they do, but on such a post like this in such a definitive way is kinda ridiculous, man.
Look, I haven't played any of these, so you're probably right. All I was doing was repeating exactly how I've heard many people describe the amps on the Harmony-Central forums, and from what I could tell from sound clips, my comments were at least fairly accurate. Not to mention I already stated I had gathered all the information from others, not personal experience; hardly "definitive." But, I'm assuming you've played them all and know all there is to know about ENGLs, so no worries
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
I didn't think the Blackmore had more gain per se, but it still had PLENTY of gain, ie, more than enough to use a medium output pickup and still get a high gain tone.

all in all your description was pretty close. the blackmore is like a stripped down Savage that's a bit more open with less gain (its less of a modern amp but still high gain).

In terms of genres I guess its pretty easy, they get progressively more asskicking names as they get harder. Generally, the name reflects teh amp's tone.

IE, classic gives you a classic-esque gain level, whereas a Savage is relatively high gain.

The SE is obviously the be-all-end-all ENGL that is supposed to be (most) of their amps in one.

If you're looking for lower gain tones you should look at a Classic Thunder or Screamer, higher gain tones you should look to the Savage, Blackmore (stripped down savage) Powerball SE or Invader (invader sounds like shit)

agreed about the blackmore.

lol at the names thing too, I guess that's right.

^ it's no problem, man. when you posted, no-one else had, he was better getting your input (which wasn't all that far off, to be honest, just probably not 100%) than none.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?