Right now, I am working on my acoustic tones. I have a toneport Ux2 and an MXL 990/991 mic package. Since they are condensor mics, they pick up EVERYTHING in the room. I want to know some little things that I can do, to make sure there is no background noise. There isnt a lot of it, just before I play you can hear some of it, so its nothing major. So, help?
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

point the mic at where the fretbard joins the body and closer to the guitar also where you play in the room will affect the room noise, if possible make a barrier between you and the whole room e.g curtians, sofa turned upwards anything at all
i tried recording in a closet a few minutes ago and the results I got were exceptional! It sounded like it was a real studio recording! I am moving soon and I was wondering, does studio foam sound as good as recording in a closet? and how much would I have to use to get that same effect?
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

If the closet sounds great record there. Recording Foam is expensive and dont buy it for the sake of it. Record whever it might sound good even try the bathroom and stuff for natural reverbs.
- Satch is awsome -
Main difference would be you look silly recording in a closet!!

No, seriously.

If you like the sound of recording in a closet go for it.

Theres a BIG difference between your closet and recording foam though. Foam is a sound insulator as in it reflects very little sounds.

This stops unwanted reflected signals and will also give you VERY LITTLE reverb.Its for studio engineers to be able to work with a blank sound and shape the reverb however they want to work with the rest of the recording (vocals, other instruments).

If recording in your closet gives a good sound straight off the bat, go for it. It's cheaper.

EDIT: Thread title; Little Things I Can Do...

Turn off everything you don't need to be on; lights etc, close doors, windows, curtains, tell your family to shut the F up, set correct gain levels.
Last edited by Abe at Mar 11, 2007,
Make sure everything is quiet as Abe suggested. If you have a CRT monitor definitely turn that off. If the closet thing works then go with that. Then, once you've recorded, cut everything under 100Hz. It won't seriously affect the tone of your guitar, especially in a mix, but will take out a lot of unnecessary information (the mix stand picking up vibrations and so on) which will limit the noise floor.
the best thing i have found that works really well for really cheap is to buy a plastic trash can and cut the side out and glue some sound eliminating foam on the inside. find a way to bolt it to a wall with the bottom on the wall and the cut out part facing down. then put the mic in through the cut part with the stand and it should work to eliminate alot of noise. it is kind of hard to explain if you have any question feel free to ask. this is the cheapest way to get great sound without a room or mattresses.