Page 1 of 2
Ok so I'm in metal band, and lately my current amp, which is a 65 Watt Crate amp is

like falling apart. We have a really big show in two weeks and I need to get a stack

for that show. Im looking for a good high gain amp for heavy metal. i have like an

$800 spending limit, but i really would like to spend less than that.
eBay...
Current Gear :
Jackson USA Made SL1 Soloist (SnakeSkin Finish)
Jackson Jap Made SL1 Soloist!
In my Experience, The only High-Gain Heads that are really good and have the best sound are in the 2-3 Grand Range. With $800, your best bet would be to look at a line 6 spider. Its going to sound great compared to your small combo amp, but you'll eventually grown out of the digital tone and want someting more REAL. Depends on if you really need the stack now or if your willing to save more money and get a TRUE high-gain head. (ie) Mesa, Randall, Peavey 6505.
Dude. NO. DO NOT get a Spider. They are crap. Not "compared to something else". They are crap in the absolute sense of the word.

Try a hi-gain combo, like a big-wattage Randall or something.
Yea, Spiders are not an option no matter what your budget... there is always something better.

Go for a Randall if you want cheap... they sound good and are high quality. Most people still favor tube though.
there are some cheaper randalls that are good for metal...for 800, your shit out of luck on a stack, or even a half stack. Get a combo, used 5150,
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
^Yes, yes they have, stop being so damn ignorant and pay attention.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Danno13
Poor emo kid.

Here, I'll hold your hand as you click on these links:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Triple-XXX-Super-40-40W-1x12-Guitar-Combo?sku=481393
^best one

+1

If you are having a "big gig", the venue should probably supply a PA system. The XXX has a great tone, and will get loud enough for smaller sized gigs very easily. I cant turn mine past the halfway mark because it hurts afterwards (ears ring for hours) and my dogs start howling, haha. My point is, it would be a great option for you. You dont need a halfstack to get loud enough for a gig.
Quote by thetoastinator
You dont need a halfstack to get loud enough for a gig.

+1

Even if its solid state, there should be a house PA and you can mic it up.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club
Quote by Stooja
+1

Even if its solid state, there should be a house PA and you can mic it up.

yea i know, thats what ive been doing for the past year and a half, i want an upgrade. and im not being ignorant or emo, i just think its unhelpful if someone says 'randall'. and i dont want a combo so those links that you held my hand when i clicked were meaningless.
Quote by thetoastinator
+1

If you are having a "big gig", the venue should probably supply a PA system. The XXX has a great tone, and will get loud enough for smaller sized gigs very easily. I cant turn mine past the halfway mark because it hurts afterwards (ears ring for hours) and my dogs start howling, haha. My point is, it would be a great option for you. You dont need a halfstack to get loud enough for a gig.

now that was helpful but i think im still gonna go with a stack
There is no point to a stack. Except to look cooler in front of your friends. "It spreads more air!", yes but its not worth it.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Yeah, unless less you're a pro doing shows every week or a recording tech, there's really no point to having a stack.
Ok listen here you..

One a combo DOES NOT have the same sound as a half stack or a full stack.. kay? kay. Yes a 4X12 cab pushes more air, giving the amp a fuller sound and making the STAGE prescence more aparent.

A Peavy 6505, or 5150 (used) will do you good. Ebay will have one cheap. save some more cash, sell wahtever POS youhave now, and buy a decent cab to go with it, then look backk at that XXX and laugh as you blow its puny punk ass off the stage, in tone, quality, and volume.

If I have offended you, too bad.
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
I'd say 5150. second hand, probably.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
a valveking head with a cab arent too expansive, you can always swap out the tubes for a better sound,
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
Get a Peavey Studio Pro or a Bandit, they both have great clean and distortion channels. Yes they are both combos, but to get a decent stach for cheap is impossible, youd prob end up with a MG or a Spider. Just get a good combo and mike it up, all bands mike up when playing gigs, stacks are just for show.
Quote by DeadMansCurve
Get a Peavey Studio Pro or a Bandit, they both have great clean and distortion channels. Yes they are both combos, but to get a decent stach for cheap is impossible, youd prob end up with a MG or a Spider. Just get a good combo and mike it up, all bands mike up when playing gigs, stacks are just for show.

NEVER EVER use a Studio pro or bandit for metal, they feedback like crazy and sound crap at high volumes, and they dont work good with pedals, I would stick with a tube combo if your looking at combo's

the Genz Benz El Diablo 60c is a 60 watt high gain valve amp, good for metal, last one I saw on ebay sold for 700 USD
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
Quote by SGKIDD
Ok listen here you..

One a combo DOES NOT have the same sound as a half stack or a full stack.. kay? kay. Yes a 4X12 cab pushes more air, giving the amp a fuller sound and making the STAGE prescence more aparent.

A Peavy 6505, or 5150 (used) will do you good. Ebay will have one cheap. save some more cash, sell wahtever POS youhave now, and buy a decent cab to go with it, then look backk at that XXX and laugh as you blow its puny punk ass off the stage, in tone, quality, and volume.

If I have offended you, too bad.

All of those are reason enough to get a half stack. The bass response is better and it just looks better. The only bands that can pull of having only a combo on stage is cover bands. B-52 At-100 is a very good head for the price. You are going to need a cab though, and you probably won't be able to pull the head and cab without sellign your amp.
Quote by Reincaster
Peavey Windsor HalfStack.

Exactly.
Head- $400 all tube
Cab- $350

Then get a DOD overdrive pedal if you play the super-duper high gain stuff.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Quote by Metal_Injection
the Genz Benz El Diablo 60c is a 60 watt high gain valve amp, good for metal, last one I saw on ebay sold for 700 USD

ah, if they go under budget, I'd recommend them too. Also, the windsor is nice, but more of an 80's metal tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oh, well ive never had one at very high volumes, but at mid volumes they sound great, and as I also realised, unless you turn the reverb down, it did screech a fair bit. Well, then id say get a Randall RG300G3 head, or the 212 combo. I used one at a shop and it had a good sound, and definately good for metal.
Quote by TehJermie
Yeah, unless less you're a pro doing shows every week or a recording tech, there's really no point to having a stack.

Are you kidding? Recording engineers HATE big stacks. They'd much rather you be able to get good sound doing what the bass player does, direct-out right into the mixing board.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
^I don't know where you've been, but most people suck ass at recording bass guitars. And recording engineers aren't all about efficiency, it's about making a good sounding record. You go in any studio and you'll see anything from stacks to really tiny ass amps.
if your gig doesnt have PA to mic up your amp, maybe you need a stack, if not, a combo will do nicely when mic'ed up.

I use my 5150 combo for gigs, hell, i use my tiny Peavey classic 30 with a single speaker for gigs, its just a matter if PA's available at the gigs.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Anyone who ever said that halfstacks are just for show clearly never compared a combo with its repspective head. If you can find a B-52 to try out and you find you like it....good, buyit. But A used 6505/5150 is where its at. People often say that "the cleans suck". Truth is if you know how to EQ you wont be disapointed. Are they the best, no...but its a benchmark metal amp; its not a jazz chorus now is it? And for the price there has to be something not perfect about it. Whether you get a combo or not hopefull it will be mic'd up. But you will notice a difference in a 4x12 cab, and a combo. Seriously....Ebay it up man. Thats your best bet.
^plus cleans can be fixed with a warmer bias and with the help of a reverb and or chorus pedal.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-100W-4x12-Half-Stack?sku=481301

That's the best amp you're going to find in that price range, That's probably the best solid state amp you're going to find period, I've had it for 2 years now and I've never had a problem with it, and surprisingly, IT SOUNDS GREAT!!!! Kicks the Marshall MG"s ass! I still use it on the ocassion next to my peavey 6505+ through a marshall 1960B cab.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
homeade PRS and tele
Marshall 100 watt plexi
thd hot plate
B-52 gold series cab
Boss NS-2, DD20
(soon) keeley modded Ibanez TS9DX turbo tubescreamer
Its getting a bit old, all the people stressing that you dont NEED a half-stack. no, in all probablity you probably dont need it. Bu they look and sound ****ing awesome. do you need to get your guitar in a colour thats appealing to you? nope, you dont NEED to, it wont affect anything, but since guitar playing is universally seen as something thats enjoyable then why not make your amp choices based on enjoyment and personal preference too?
Diezel, Motherfucker
^ +1

if you're on a budget, I'd rather have a tube combo than a SS halfstack, but if your budget is unlimited, I'd take the half-stack any day of the week, for hard rock and metal, at least.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, stacks sound bigger, but all bands playing live to a very big audience always have the amps miced. If they didnt, it wouldnt mix and wouldnt sound right. when playing a stack, yes it does sound better, but youre not going to get a good stack for the price ypu sais. Btw, i have a carvin sx-100 combo and a laney TF700 212 head and cab, and my dad has a 45 year old tube head and 2 212 cabinets, so i know the sound difference, but a combo will be good enough.
in some amps though, there's a big difference between the head and combo version. Like the 5150/6505 the combo version is biased much warmer than the head, which makes the cleans/distortion much better sounding on the combo version
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Page 1 of 2