I'd like to get a bass to mainly just mess around on and further my technique and ability for guitar playing. The bass would usually be in CGCF, but i would put it in standard a lot for some chili peppers and shinedown and such. Id like to play a lot of stuff from Bullet for my valentine, trivium, Atreyu, Chili peppers, etc. That being said i will play with a pick and try and learn fingerstyle, which ive been practicing on my 52 guage low e string with on my guitar. So i guess the guitar kinda needs to be a tid bit versitile. I dont really have a budget, but im gunna need an amp. i have cables, picks, straps, etc. laying around so i can use those. Like i said its only gunna be used to get me better at guitar and to play some cool-sounding basslines. So it can be cheap as ****. but i think i can go up to $200 or $250 on the guitar and i can maybe get a practice amp off my friend, if not ill post back later. thanks in advance.
Get a cheap squier J Bass

It will be quite versitle.

Also, those tunings re quite different of eachother. I sugget you get two really cheap Basses. And put some super thick strings on one. (They make strings that are designed to be tuned to B E A D )
Quote by Fast_Bear
(They make strings that are designed to be tuned to B E A D )
Who?!?
Get a cheap starter pack, maybe? My first was a Squier p-bass with amp and all that stuff, I suppose it'll be okay if you're just going to mess around with it.
When crying don't help
You can't compose yourself
It's best to compose a poem
An honest verse of longing
Or a simple song of hope...
Quote by maXterbat0r
Who?!?

You could either buy Ernie Ball Power slinkies, or just buy a 5 string set for like $5 or $6 more.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
You could either buy Ernie Ball Power slinkies, or just buy a 5 string set for like $5 or $6 more.
Yeah, but I'd feel bad throwing a perfectly good G away...