So recently I've felt compelled to start over with my guitar gear, so to speak. Basically, selling everything I have (except the acoustic I recently purchased) and buying new gear. Partially, because I feel like I could have spent my money better and because I feel like I'm kind of in a rut right now with my playing, and that getting some nice new gear would really help with that.

I play mainly stuff like classic rock and some mellow blues type stuff, but I'm all over the place, a little bit of everything.

I currently have:
Fender Standard Strat (MIM)- basically new condition
Schecter C-1 Classic- almost new, except one kind of big scratch on the back
Gator double guitar case
Ibanez RG470 that I tried to mod, but messed up the wiring (Tone Zone bridge, PAF Pro neck, kill switch, 2 3-way switches [all pickup combinations possible], push-pull pots to coil tap each humbucker, OFR) it's all put together, the wiring just doesn't work

Crate XT120R- this is messed up, mainly cosmetically. It's got some stuff on the speaker grill, the plastic thing that says "Crate" on it fell off, and the reverb is broken.
Vox AD15- brand new

SX SPJ-62 (P-bass body, P and J pups)- new
Behringer 120 watt combo- new, little dusty though

I don't really know how much I could get for all this stuff, and I don't really know what would be best for the music I play. Any thoughts? Ideas? Advice?

EDIT: I do also have some money, so not all of it would have to be funded by selling my current gear. I'm also going to be working over the summer, I'm not sure when I want to be doing all this, but I might have a considerable amount of money to spend, not that I want to spend it all.
Last edited by gibsonpenguin at Mar 11, 2007,
don't replace all your stuff in one fell swoop, just replace the stuff you want to and make sure you have good reasons for doing so. if your playing is stuck in a rut then i'd say listen to and play some different types of music to freshen yourself up, it'll probably help more than spending a bunch of money on new gear.

another thing: you said you regret some of the purchases you've made in the past. if you don't know much more now, then buying new stuff won't help. mess with different guitars and amps in the store before you even decide if you're buying anything, it'll put you into a more discerning mindset where you can make better decisions about whether something is worth paying for.
if i were you i would keep the strat, its perfect for what you play, unless you dont like how it feels or whatever
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
Quote by vantage4
don't replace all your stuff in one fell swoop, just replace the stuff you want to and make sure you have good reasons for doing so. if your playing is stuck in a rut then i'd say listen to and play some different types of music to freshen yourself up, it'll probably help more than spending a bunch of money on new gear.

another thing: you said you regret some of the purchases you've made in the past. if you don't know much more now, then buying new stuff won't help. mess with different guitars and amps in the store before you even decide if you're buying anything, it'll put you into a more discerning mindset where you can make better decisions about whether something is worth paying for.

Well, what if I don't particularly like either of my amps, I bought both my guitars when I was younger and my tastes hadn't quite developed to what they are now, and I feel like I could have much better gear than what I currently have? I don't necessarily know more about what I want, but I know a lot more about what I play, my musical tastes, and which brands are higher quality than others.

The Vox is alright for like, a little practice amp, the Crate was a bad decision. I think that if I sold both of those and with some of the money I already have, I could get a nice valve combo like a Peavey Classic 30 or a Blues Junior or something.

The strat and the Schecter are both good guitars, I just feel that I prefer the strat sound now. And, if I let go of my MIM strat and my Schecter, then I could probably get a nicer one (MIA or MIJ).
a blues jr. and an od pedal should be great for you
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
Quote by vantage4

+1

you could definitely make a case for keeping the strat, and the schecter and ibanez wouldn't hurt either, though you could make a case for selling them too.

if you like blues and classic rock, a tube amp should be high up your list.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

you could definitely make a case for keeping the strat, and the schecter and ibanez wouldn't hurt either, though you could make a case for selling them too.

if you like blues and classic rock, a tube amp should be high up your list.

I feel like I have the best case for keeping the strat, but I rarely play the others (well, the Ibanez is out of commission because it's wired improperly) because I prefer the strat feel/sound. And because I don't really play them much, I feel that I could sell them and get some better gear. And then I thought that while I'm at it, I could sell the strat too and get a better one.

I'm definitely looking for a tube amp, I just don't really have the funds to do anything right now.
^ yeah... i wouldn't sell the strat until you've tried a load of others- just in case you have a good'un!

if you don't play them, then, yeah, selling the schecter and ibby might be worthwhile. Might be worth trying to get your ibby back into a wired-up state, just in case you lose a lot of cash over it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Id keep the Strat and the Vox :P But thats just me
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah... i wouldn't sell the strat until you've tried a load of others- just in case you have a good'un!

if you don't play them, then, yeah, selling the schecter and ibby might be worthwhile. Might be worth trying to get your ibby back into a wired-up state, just in case you lose a lot of cash over it.

Well, the Ibanez never was in a wired up state. I guess I could try again though.

I like the strat the most out of what I have now, so that would probably be the last to go.

Any ideas amp-wise? The Vox is a good practice amp, but I think that if I let go of both of them, then I might be able to get a decent valve amp used.
^ how much money roughly do you think you could get together? are you in the USA or europe? (or elsewhere?)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you dont like the C-1 classic then you should just give it to me.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
If you dont like the C-1 classic then you should just give it to me.

Yeah, that sure would help me out a lot, huh?

Quote by Dave_Mc
how much money roughly do you think you could get together? are you in the USA or europe? (or elsewhere?)

I'm in the US. I bought the Schecter for $700 (I think), so if I sold it myself (ebay or to a person not like, Guitar Center) I was hoping for maybe $400-$500, that might be kind of ambitious though. The strat if I sold it, I'd look for $250, again probably high, so it'd be more likely to go for like $150-$200. I have an old acoustic that I'd look for $50 for. The Crate, probably $150 (It's $350 new). If I sold the Vox maybe like $75 or so (it's practically brand new). The bass and amp, maybe $150-$200 for them both. I don't really know how to price the RG, as it's not working and it's kind of a project. I might keep that one for the sake of learning though, as I'd like to get it wired up properly sometime... But I could sell it.

Hypothetically speaking then, I could get between $900 and $1200 (not including the RG). I have money saved up, and I'll theoretically be getting about $100 a day from my summer job, so that can increase, however, I'm a college student, so I'm trying not to spend too much of the money that I have saved.
^ if you have that amount of money, best bet is to get out to try stuff- my guess is it's not worth selling the strat for $200, unless you plain don't like how it plays.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ if you have that amount of money, best bet is to get out to try stuff- my guess is it's not worth selling the strat for $200, unless you plain don't like how it plays.

Is there anything you'd recommend?
^ yeah, sorry about that, I was a bit in a hurry earlier, lol.

For amps, traynors are pretty nice, especially in the USA- around $600 odd (here they're more like that amount in pounds sterling, which is like double that )... the ycv 40 is kind of fendery (but with a much better overdrive channel), the ycv50blue, so I hear, is more marshally (haven't tried that one, in other words), while the ycv20 (15 watts, despite the rather confusing name) is more voxy. If it's anything like the peavey windsor head, the windsor combo coming out would be worth a look too, more of an 80's tone perhaps, but nice, the classic series is always worth a look too. And the epi valve junior is always good fun... only $99 your side of the pond too. The Laney VC series, if you can find them, are quite nice too, but liable to be expensive in the USA. At least compared to here.

All very nice, which you prefer is liable to be preference.

Guitars are a lot harder to recommend, they're even more personal than amps... Fenders are pretty good value in the states, mexis, highway ones and usa standards are all nice, I'm not too fussed on the special edition mexis, they seem to be dearer for more bells and whistles without improving the actual base quality of the guitar (e.g. deluxe players strat), though I hear good things about the classic 50's and 60's strats. G & L would be worth a look too, similar idea.

Other than that, it's really a matter of trying all you can get your hands on... a lot of the stuff I'd generally recommend is based on stuff which is good value in the UK (e.g. gordon smiths), but which wouldn't be as good value in the states, and likewise a lot of the stuff I slag off for being expensive in the UK (e.g. mesa and peavey, gibson, PRS) would be a much better deal in the USA, almost verging on good value in fact- at least compared to what we have to pay, lol.

Hope that helped a bit more than my previous post, lol. I've probably forgotten something major too, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Thanks so much for all the help.

Guitar wise- I was looking at the Highway Ones, and maybe some models that are a bit higher end. There's a shop in my hometown (I'm away at college right now) that I think has some pretty nice guitars, and some used stuff that would probably be a pretty good deal. I'm definitely going to check that out when I go home for the summer.

On the amp end- The Traynors and Peavey Classics are definitely something I want to try, as well as some Fender tubes. I'd like to try a bunch of stuff actually, only problem is that the Guitar Center near my house doesn't have the greatest selection. I'll definitely check out the amps in the other guitar store when I go home too.
I've heard quite a bit about the Epi Valve Junior, and is it true what the guy says in the Musician's Friend review: "The secret is giving it enough speakers, and with a 4x12" cab I’d happily play any bar gig." Because, while it's not the most important thing at the moment, as I don't have a band or anything together, I'd like the option of playing with other people with the equipment I get.

So I guess, would it be able to be heard over say drums, bass, and another guitar?
Quote by gibsonpenguin
I've heard quite a bit about the Epi Valve Junior, and is it true what the guy says in the Musician's Friend review: "The secret is giving it enough speakers, and with a 4x12" cab I’d happily play any bar gig." Because, while it's not the most important thing at the moment, as I don't have a band or anything together, I'd like the option of playing with other people with the equipment I get.

So I guess, would it be able to be heard over say drums, bass, and another guitar?

It sounds great, But won't get that loud. I own one, And I love it - But it WILL NOT push band level volume. Tried, Failed, The End.

And dude. Don't sell your stuff. Put it away, Hide it, Give it to people that will give it back, But you selling your stuff is the WORST! Trust me. One day, You'll look back, And go " Damn. ". I've sold guitars for drug money, Becuase I didn't like the tone at the time, Because it dropped it once, Because I didn't like the way it went with my boots... And nearly every time, I wish I hadn't.
Blessed be he who sat on the bee, For he shall rise again!
Quote by Ol'boy Rivers
It sounds great, But won't get that loud. I own one, And I love it - But it WILL NOT push band level volume. Tried, Failed, The End.

And dude. Don't sell your stuff. Put it away, Hide it, Give it to people that will give it back, But you selling your stuff is the WORST! Trust me. One day, You'll look back, And go " Damn. ". I've sold guitars for drug money, Becuase I didn't like the tone at the time, Because it dropped it once, Because I didn't like the way it went with my boots... And nearly every time, I wish I hadn't.

I've seen a lot of reviews that say that it can.... what cab were you using it with?

I'm thinking about only getting the Epi Valve Junior, and maybe seeing what my funds look like at the end of the summer for a new guitar, and maybe a bigger amp, if the Epi won't work for that kind of stuff
Here's a new thought- keep the Crate and use it as a cabinet for a new head. Maybe the Valve Junior, or the Windsor, or the Classic 30 head, or something like that... Or would it be better just to sell it and get a better cabinet?