I told my band that I wanted to do a cover of Free Bird. Since we have 3 guitarists. Everyone cept the other 2 guitarist said no. I and another guiatrist are the lead guitairst and he said the solo is to hard. Yet we play Zeppelin, GNR, Aerosmith covers with hard solo's. I kept listening to it and it doesnt sound THAT hard as they're making it out. I can already play teh first quarter of the solo or so. And I showed them it and they still dont want to play it. I wanna do it so me and the other guiatist both play half or keep switching on and off the solo. He is better at guitar than me and he says its too hard. Yet I keep learning more and more. Does he not want to learn it cuz of its rep?

Any help? I really wanna do this cover. And the abnd is way more than capable of covering it without butchering it.
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
dude it's really just a bunch of licks that are repeated a few times each, it's not a demanding solo technically it's just that it's really long. and actually if you and him are going to be switching off on the parts you don't even need to know the entire thing. tell him to stop being a pussy and learn it.
I know. Imo Sweet Child is harder. Not as long but harder. And I can play that. Not super but I still can. I dunno what his problem is he's better than me and saying he wouldn't be able to play it...
Guitars:
Amp:
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
I've heard the Freebird solo described as a checklist of blues riffs. I couldn't agree more...just go for it.
its an easy solo you just gotta have a good memory. also just tell the other guitarist to sit down for like an hour and look at the tab, then he'll see how easy it is.
R.I.P. Dimebag - Gone but Never Forgotten

#123 Member of the 'Linkin Park Sucks' Club. PM Whstripesrox to join.
lol, I'm listning to that solo right now...Ironic
And so I killed the guy and the police are still lookin for me!
Haha. I know he's being a prick about it. But he finally said yes to it. Cuz I kept tellin him about it :P
Guitars:
Amp:
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
its ****ing easy, i learned a few key riffs from the solo and improvise the rest.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Hmmm. Sometimes when I hear people talk about how easy some things are I think about my guitar students some 20 years ago. Some of them would say "I can play that"... and then what they'd play wouldn't be much like the original.

I noticed that strangely enough the less time they'd been playing the more likely this was to happen.

The ones who had been playing longer, I think your ear gets better, and you start realizing how far you are from the original, especially with all the nuances, the bent notes and what not.

For example, these licks in Free Bird are pretty challenging:
times: 5:18 and 5:54

I'm not saying you shouldn't try doing the song, and I'm also not saying you should copy the original exactly, probably better that way, do your own thing, have your own style, etc.

But to say that the original licks are easy... some of them are, some of them aren't.
when you play covers your lead guitarist plays the solos exactly? Where's the fun in that?

did you know the major scale on a piano, starting at whatever note (lets say E). you just go straight up the white keys without hitting a black one. and you got the major scale.

Just learn to improvise! If one of you gets it slightly wrong the likelihood of anyone in the audience actually noticing is minimal.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Improvise it.

Seriously if done properly by the backers it is sooo natural and fun to improvise over and gets you playing well and sounds well good.