So I play alot of shred, also alot of metal (Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth), but I'm more of a fan of the shred type tone than I am of the average metal tone.

I'm looking for a vai (ish) tone as in "For the Love of God" and other Passion and Warfare songs. I also want the versatility for metal.

Pickups can wait till later, I just want a good axe first. Seems to be the RG1570 is a favourite round here.

Suggestions?
^It does. The 1570 is indeed a fine choice.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Quote by duggyrocks
I've heard the lower end JEM sucks ass?

JEM 7V maybe?
Booyah

Sinforsale....I guess you were right. I was wrong.
Quote by nonickname
JEM 7V maybe?

Man that's like £1500.

Just slightly over budget don't you think?

EDIT:
Quote by Jeff Manthei
you do realise that it is the amp that creates 90 percent of your tone right?

Yes, I have a nice amp. Now I want a nice guitar.
Pretty much, the RG1570 is the strong choice here. Alternatively try 2nd hand for an Ibanez or something. It's up to you.
ibanez rg 1570, or if matchetts still has that jackson sl3, it was going for £629 (pretty good price, I think- and you wouldn't need to swap the p'ups so quickly, as it has duncans- not perfect by a long shot, but better than the v-series on the ibby). Also, the rga121 might be worth a look too (matchetts again).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by duggyrocks
I've heard the lower end JEM sucks ass?

it does, avoid the 555 like the plague.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What do you guys think of this?
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/66783

RGT42DXF
The only differences I can see between this and the 1570 from glancing at the specs are the wood type, pups (equally as crap I predict and the inlays.

Also, I probably would be willing to save up a little extra (Maybe £50) is it means would be getting a significantlt better guitar than a £550 budget guitar. So any big leaps up from say the RG1570 in a £600ish bracket?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, it has to have a trem
Eh, the RGT42DXF has an Edge Pro II which I am not so sure about as much as the Edge Pro on the 1570. I would go with the 1570.
Quote by duggyrocks

You'll want a 1570 over RGT42. The trems are different: Edge Pro II is a budget version of Edge Pro. On the RGT, you pay a massive premium for the neck-through, inlays, flame top, but you get subpar hardware for the price.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
you do realise that it is the amp that creates 90 percent of your tone right?

I really wish people would stop saying that. The guy was asking about a guitar, not an amp.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by duggyrocks

RGT42DXF
The only differences I can see between this and the 1570 from glancing at the specs are the wood type, pups (equally as crap I predict and the inlays.

Also, I probably would be willing to save up a little extra (Maybe £50) is it means would be getting a significantlt better guitar than a £550 budget guitar. So any big leaps up from say the RG1570 in a £600ish bracket?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, it has to have a trem

+1 on the edge pro II not being as good as edge pro- avoid that one.

£600 would allow you to check out that jackson in matchetts, if it's still there- it was £630, I think. Not really any better, more preference- though it does give you better pickups, and neck-thru construction.

But other than that, I'd say quality wise, the RG1570 and jackson sl3 are similar- they're both very nice, it depends which woods you prefer (alder instead of basswood), and whether you prefer bolt-on or neck-thru. Also, the feel.

Matchetts normally has both the rg1570 and jackson sl3- you should be able to try them head to head there.

Quote by mcw00t
I really wish people would stop saying that. The guy was asking about a guitar, not an amp.

I don't mean people saying that- if someone's asking for advice, I don't see why you wouldn't want to hear all the advice, even negative advice.

Though, in this case it's a bit daft, judging by duggy's sig he has a jcm900, it's hardly a rubbish amp...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ nah, it was new. Or at least it was when I was in a while ago. That could have been like several months ago. But it was always that price- I mean, that was the new price, I tried it when it had been in the shop less than a week. Matchetts have kick-ass prices on some stuff. Don't get too excited though, in case it's sold.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
How much are Washburn X40pro's there?

they are great, but dave hates them because of the 42mm nut width. but the new ones are 43, so yea. . .

but im sure you arent as anal as dave.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
^

^^ well under budget, the problem is finding one to try in northern ireland... I don't know of anywhere that's a washburn dealer here... A place in dublin used to be, but last time I was in, I didn't see any. If you can find them, duggy, they're worth a look, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?