The singer/guitarist of my band is going to play bass from now on (which is a shame 'cause he's an awesome guitarist!) but we do not even have the slightest clue about basses.

Could anybody just shoot out some names of some good brands that we should look into? We're obviously not looking to exactly break the bank but just want something that will sound good and play well.

Thanks in advance!
If I had an idea of a budget, I could be a lot more helpful. If you give me a budget, i'll look around for you
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Whell with an ENDLESS BUDGET, I suggest you get a warwick thumb 4string Fretted to start out with. Also get an Amperage fullstack. Atleast 800Ws.

Though realisticly something a bit cheaper, get a J Bass. And get ANYTHING with atleast 150Ws. SPEND MORE ON THE AMP THEN THE BASS!
I'm with Fast_Bear again. A good amp is much more beneficial to the sound than a good bass. I suggest an even higher wattage, i wouldn't stoop below 250 watts.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
starts with fender j and ends with azz bass

but +1 to the guys above get a decent amp
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Fender Jazz Bass or if you have more of a budget, I'd recommend the new Musicman Stingray (that's the one with two pups, either 2 humbuckers or a humbacker and a J pup). Really versatile sound there.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
It seems like everybody is big fan of the Fender Jazz Bass! Is this like the Les Paul of the bass world?

Thanks for underlying the point about a good amp - I wouldn't have personally considered that with a bass but it seems a very important factor to consider from what you've all said!

Thanks for all your help! It will definitely help a lot!
The fender jazz and precision basses are really good, also look at yamaha and ibanez though, get him to fo try some out and see which one he likes best
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by Sly Taco
Fender Fender Fender

Musicman Musicman Musicman
Gunslinger of the Bass Militia. PM Dinkydaisy to join.
high price-musicman sub or stingray
lower price-jazz bass or yamaha 374x
with and ampeg or ashdown amp
Quote by Zeelod
Schecter? Stilleto baby.

Hell yeah, the Studio and Elite are both awesome basses for their price!
A alround bass, eh? I've got a Yamaha RBX 374 and it sounds good in a variety of styles (Funk, metal, reggae) and not bad for abour £200, although I'm not sure whta that is in USD.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club