Page 1 of 2
I'm curious, and I'd like to hear from some experienced peoples.

I was thinking about all the subjects you can study in college. Psychology, anthropology, history, biology, etc. I've become more and more interested in taking some classes and getting an education.

Then I came to a road block.

I thought, "What exactly does one DO with a degree in anthropology?"

There's so much I'd like to learn, but my resources are limited. If I'm going to go there, I'd like to make it count and learn something I can make a living from.

So, how DOES someone earn a steady living with qualifications like these? I don't really see "Biologist needed" in the classified ads.
Thorns Of Creation
Melodic Death Metal from Oregon
Check us out.

Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.
You have to look the right places, if you look through science mags there's always adverts like that.

There's always a demand because so many people drop out.
Some people will hire you for the skills associated with the qualifications,

To find jobs directly related to the course you have to look in the right place. Like the guy above said your probably not going to find "Chemists wanted" in your local paper but if you look in New Scientist you will probably have more luck.

If you have a careers advisor in your school or whatever that might help, I went to the one in my college and just said I want to do something with biology and I came out with a good few ideas.

I'm not sure if you mean College in the US way or the UK way but if you can also get your hands on any uni prospectuses and look up any of the subjects your thinking of they will tend to give areas that some of the graduates go on to work in.

not sure if thats any help
Physics majors have one of the highest salaries (if not the highest overalll) getting out of college.

Find something you like doing. If you get a major in linguistics you might be more limited in options besides getting a more applicable grad school degree as thats a more specialized field, and further study means you are probably going to become an academic in the field. Otherwise, most majors have a pretty decent range of job options available after graduation.

Check princetonreview for a nice little guide showing you possible options for certain majors. Also check out school websites to see what they have to say about job opportunities for particular majors.

Its not very limiting at all really.
What non-science and non-math majors provide for high demand and stable salaries?
Quote by magicninja_
Law probably tops of that list. After that probably entertainment. Film making/directing, film/music/production etc.

Law and Accounting do. I'm studying a Law degree, mostly for the money but I enjoy it a lot too considering it was my favourite subject out of A-Level.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Hm, that's not good news :-/

I've never liked dealing with law (political science makes me want to PUKE), and the entertainment industry is notorious for being ridiculously hard to achieve in
Quote by yawn
Hm, that's not good news :-/

I've never liked dealing with law (political science makes me want to PUKE), and the entertainment industry is notorious for being ridiculously hard to achieve in

Law isn't what you think. It's really interesting. If you're not in uni yet or decided, please check out law. You never know.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

I'll probably take Classics, or Anthropology...maybe be an archaeologist, or god forbid, a teacher
Quote by Siftings
I'll probably take Classics, or Anthropology...maybe be an archaeologist, or god forbid, a teacher

Don't talk to DinkyDaisy then
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Well it depends on what side of the entertainment industry you are in. As a performer it's damn near impossible. As a producer it could be as easy as having a bit of business know how. Contracts and stuff like that and having some money to back up your investments. Which in and of itself could be hard if you don't have the money to get started.

After that it gets pretty shady. I mean mabye if you wanted to be a jouranlist or a writer but even those proffesions aren't high up in demand. The bottom line is science and technology is where the money is at.
I'm gonna host a show

Like Digging for the Truth or something, or else teach at a nice preppy prep school, with Birkenstocks and ...a goatee
Quote by Harmonius
Law isn't what you think. It's really interesting. If you're not in uni yet or decided, please check out law. You never know.
I don't know - my mom's a paralegal and works for a lawyer, and neither her nor him ever seem very happy. Seems a tad too stressful for me.

Quote by magicninja_
The bottom line is science and technology is where the money is at.
Dammit
I'm currently enrolled in the University Of Miami, with my major going to be in some area of biomed engineering. Its so much fun, plus, I am getting paid to go here. The thing is, since I am already into the field with 4 years of on the job experience, i teach a class one day, every week. Lots of fun. Also I work in a lab that's affiliated with UM and we do alot of fun work. For the past 5 months we have been in a study about FIV (feline immunodefficiency virus, cat HIV), and we inject it into cats and study its effects. Sortof sad to watch al the kittens die, but we make fun of it. We have a chalkboard that reads "# of kittens owned" rofl. Fun shit. I think its around 30 something.

Any help? I'm just trying to show how some obscure scientific field can be intresting, fun, and rewarding.
A Seven Nation army couldn't hold me back.
My old Latin teacher spent like 5 years in the Mediterranean, just teaching American students and hanging out in Greece and Rome, cruising the islands. Classical archaeology ftw

Classics and Classical Archaeology are where it's at, especially as a major, since colleges have to fill quotas and people aren't exactly scrambling to major in Classics. Then again, you have to learn Latin and ancinet Greek :/
I plan on getting my degree in Anthropology then attending grad school for Achaeology.

Then I'm gonna find the Holy Grail.

Hells yeah.
Last edited by Iluvpowerchords at Mar 11, 2007,
How about real estate and human resources management?

Any words of wisdom regarding these?
I wanna study medicine but it takes too many painful years of study before any of the work will pay off, and frankly I'm not willing to give up 8 years of my life to that. So I really have no plans as of now.
^Yeah alot of times from what I hear you find out about job opportunities and stuff from your higher level courses in your major.
Another thing you might want to think about: I've heard that for many jobs in today's market, it's not really important what degree you have, just that you went through the work to get one. It gives some credibility I guess.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
I'm 10 hours away from bein a junior in college, and I'm goin into nursin. After that, I'm gonna work in an E.R. somewhere, prolly Birmingham, Al, and then after I get some money saved up, go into Grad School and become a Nurse Anesthesis. Medicine is where all the jobs are at. Think about it, everybody gets sick, a lot of people break bones, have health probs. If you don't mind the blood associated with it, you're gonna do alright. Anatomy lab will have cadavers, so that kinda helps you get along.
Have you ever went to put on a pair of underwear, but there weren't any, so you started runnin around the house flailin your arms while nude?
Sorry to say that Embodiment's dream can only be achieved for goin to Juliard.
Have you ever went to put on a pair of underwear, but there weren't any, so you started runnin around the house flailin your arms while nude?
Quote by Maverick64
Sorry to say that Embodiment's dream can only be achieved for goin to Juliard.

What about Berklee?
Sure, go there.
I can't watch you fail unless you post each of your grades on here. We'll start a new thread called Embodiment's college grade list, and you can update it every once in a while.

I thought Berklee didn't care about grades?
I have 80% in pretty much everything except for Applied Graphic Arts in which I have a 60% for not handing in anything and English in which I have a 90%.
Everybody cares about grades. So when do we get to start the new thread? Crap, it's gonna be months before I get to see it. Just because you haven't graduated high school yet.
Good grief, why even bring it up if you're not even ready to commit your life to somethin? You got my hopes up for nothin Embodiment. We could always make a thread for my grades though.
Actually, since I offered to start your thread, you have to start mine.
Page 1 of 2