I've been looking at Squire telecasters for a cheap practice guitar while my playing gets better and I save up for something good. I keep finding these squires in stores with stickers that say "alder or Agathis", but not which one they actually used. I'd prefer to get something with Alder so it might be a candidate for a later pup swap to sound ok. How easy is it to tell which is which. Is Agathis a heavy wood?
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Agathis is very lightweight and soft wood, so it shouldn't be too hard. While basic characteristics of alder is beautiful, brilliant-red wood.

I'm not too educated on the matter, so I can't really say much more.
Right, so if I pick up something that feels really really heavy, it aint agathis.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Quote by Ippon
The current Affinity Squier Strats and Teles are Alder. Standard is Agathis. Same thing with their PBass and Jazz Bass.

Yup, the cheaper, affinity, upgrade-ready squiers are made of alder.
Quote by Ippon
The current Affinity Squier Strats and Teles are Alder. Standard is Agathis. Same thing with their PBass and Jazz Bass.

I thought so too, but the floor models of the standard tele I've been playing have Alder/agathis written on them. The Affinities are all Alder, I know that, and that's probably what I'll buy. (awful neck though, but what do you want for under $300AU)
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Last edited by Cosimo_Zaretti at Mar 11, 2007,