I am looking for some advice on this subject, and i know there are a lot of threads like this but i might as well make another one.
Just a few pointers to get my point of view

I am kinda new to effects and all that surounds them(only like reverb,delay,chorus flanger,little bit of tremelo) so i am kinda in the dark as to what i like what i woudl like how things would work togheter.

Before someone starts blaring i have a good amp, but see above statment and it is kinda loud to practice at home with sometimes especially when it gets late sometimes.SO I am looking for something which i can use to practice in my room like with just my computer boxes or headphones .

I am also looking for something to record with. I might not be able to put my reall amp into the mix then but i think that will just make it to complicated.

But now i was hoping for some advise on the subject by some of you guy's who had some experience with multi-effect or whatever.Please also explain why ,don't start throwing up random names of multi effect.
So i am basicly looking for things to know / consider / maby other options.

I also read something about multi effects not responding well to high output pick-ups? What should i know about this.

Well sorry for the lenghty post. But thanks for reading it anyway
figures :p i forgot something.

Well little bit of everything really. blues/rock/little jazz/metal/... but a litte lbit more metal
But i like to have a lot of options. I really like to mix thing up. A bit of acoustic or clean mixed with some distortion.
Last edited by Cheap Poison at Mar 11, 2007,
I would recommend the GT-8 or POD for your application, and if you're just looking for a desktop tool, then the POD is the way to go. If you want to carry your sound over live, then something like the GT-8 or POD XTL would be the way to go.

For me, the GT-8 was the perfect choice because of the tweakability of the unit, the versatility of the tones, the quality of tones and the durability of the unit. There is a slightly wide learning curve for this unit, but once you get used to it, it's fantastic. There is nothing I cannot do with this unit, but sadly, it doesn't really mix well with my current amp as the amp does not deliver a strong enough signal in the FX loop and the unit doesn't work well with 100% dry mixes.

The POD is also a great little unit, but I just wasn't happy with the tones. Digital processors can get a raspy edge depending on your levels and the quality of the samples, and I could dial that edge out with the GT-8. I simply could not do this with the POD.

Also, high gain pickups is a no-no for processors. The higher output will cause the digital converters on the input side of the unit to clip, and digital distortion is the main cause of all the complaining about digital units IMO. You can dial it out, but most just don't take the time to and blame the unit. Most of the decent processors have an input level control that can reduce the signal being fed to the converter.
Quote by TwoString
The higher output will cause the digital converters on the input side of the unit to clip, and digital distortion is the main cause of all the complaining about digital units IMO. You can dial it out, but most just don't take the time to and blame the unit. Most of the decent processors have an input level control that can reduce the signal being fed to the converter.

oo

do explain. because i myself am planning to get a multi fx unit, but have been told otherwise by other users here. although im going for the cheaper unit, can i do the same?
KsE

You know they rock.
Quote by de.sandman
oo

do explain. because i myself am planning to get a multi fx unit, but have been told otherwise by other users here. although im going for the cheaper unit, can i do the same?

I would vote against going cheap. What you want to look for is a unit with decent converters. I hear some good things about Zoom, although I have yet to try one of the lower-end units. I'll just say that their top of the line unit, the 9.2TT, was a huge let down. The tube section is a gimick with very little practical purpose, although the tube boost section on the output stage is nice for a digital processor (lets you keep your levels low through the unit, which will keep the digital distortion gremlins at bay, then you can boost the signal before it hits your amp). I'll also add that I did not like anything DigiTech had to offer. The only DigiTech multi that I would recommend is their older 2120 rack processor, which is increadible. If you cannot afford something in the range of a POD XTL or GT-8 or GT-6, I would say your best bet would be to find a used POD 2.0 and a Line6 shortboard. You should be able to find this combo for well under $200.

As far as everyone downing multi-FX, it has a lot to do with that dgital distortion thing. One of the most brilliant and well-explained posts on the subject comes from jof1029...

Quote by jof1029
something i typed up a bit ago on the difference between analog and digital:

the true difference between analog and digital: analog is continuous and digital is discreet. now before you start going, wtf does that mean, let me explain. analog takes your signal and runs it through a bunch of components to give the propper effect. things like capacitors, resistors, transistors, and diodes are all used to control the voltage and current of the signal coming from the guitar.

digital instead converts your guitar signal into digital information, then runs it through digital filters to manipulate the sound. then this new data is converted back into an analog signal and sent to your amp.

again, you are probably wondering wtf that means for your pedal. it means that analog is going to what it does to the whole signal, but is limited in what it can do. you cant do more than space allows (such as having a very long delay time). also it will not be perfect because the components are not perfect, but fall within a tolerance. now this is actually what gives analog a warm sound, so this imperfection is actually good. now with digital it breaks the signal into pieces, so you lose everything between those pieces. now usually you wont lose much because a good sampling rate is used, but the loss is still there (even if not always apparent). then the signal is going to be affected the same way each time (not counting signal errors) because you are simply manipulating 0's and 1's. this is why some people feel digital sounds a bit sterile. the up side is you can do so much in such a small space that the possibilities are almost endless. you can also have very fine control over many different variables, which isnt always possible in analog.

conclusion: both have their places and uses. one cannot always be said to be better than the other because they are different. instead of worrying about analog versus digital, see what pedals sound good to your ear and what pedals do what you want, then buy those.

To my ears, some of the effects units like the DigiTech 2120 and TC Electronic G-Major blow away just about any stomp box, digital or analog. As you move up in the price range, things just get better. The TC Electronic G-Major has unparalleled pitch shifting and digital effects, but for the price you should get increadible performance out of the unit. Units like the Boss GT-8 and POD XTL are a good trade-off in the price-per-performance stand off. They offer great quality effects for a mid-price range unit.

If you want to understand more about digital units and how to obtain great tones out of them, go to www.bossgtcentral.com and look up the GT Primer. Also, www.thestompbox.net has great articles on the subject. Go hit Wikipedia and learn about Unity Gain and level control. In the end, before you buy, understand the unit before you buy it, read the manuals and the reviews and listen for yourself.
Well thanks for the info.
if i do buy on it will most likely be the boss gt-8. Seems to be everything i want it to be.

Can i adjust the input value on this unit? other wise i might have some problems.

Anything else i should think about/ know /consider / Some advice.
Quote by TwoString
I would recommend the GT-8 or POD for your application, and if you're just looking for a desktop tool, then the POD is the way to go. If you want to carry your sound over live, then something like the GT-8 or POD XTL would be the way to go.

For me, the GT-8 was the perfect choice because of the tweakability of the unit, the versatility of the tones, the quality of tones and the durability of the unit. There is a slightly wide learning curve for this unit, but once you get used to it, it's fantastic. There is nothing I cannot do with this unit, but sadly, it doesn't really mix well with my current amp as the amp does not deliver a strong enough signal in the FX loop and the unit doesn't work well with 100% dry mixes.

The POD is also a great little unit, but I just wasn't happy with the tones. Digital processors can get a raspy edge depending on your levels and the quality of the samples, and I could dial that edge out with the GT-8. I simply could not do this with the POD.

Also, high gain pickups is a no-no for processors. The higher output will cause the digital converters on the input side of the unit to clip, and digital distortion is the main cause of all the complaining about digital units IMO. You can dial it out, but most just don't take the time to and blame the unit. Most of the decent processors have an input level control that can reduce the signal being fed to the converter.

Definitely listen to 2-String, he and I are the only guys I know of that actually use these things in a band, even though I stuck with the XTL and he's a GT-8 guy. Both the GT-8 and PODxtLive are good, flexible units that compare very favorably to most individual pedals sonically as long as they're programmed correctly and used with the right amp. I've personally found they work best run into an amp with a good clean sound and alot of clean headroom. Putting it through your amp's FX-loop is usually your best bet if you want to make use of the amp-modeling.

I'd suggest buying both units at a Sam Ash or GC, someplace that allows you to return them for a cash refund within a month. There are simply too many options on these units to learn what they can do just trying them out in a store. If you get a PODxtLive I'd suggest downloading the Deep Edit software (free for registered Line 6 users), which lets you edit your sounds on your computer using graphical representations of all the amp-models and FX. Also, make a list of the band's tones you'd like to get close to, do a search for them on the Line 6 Tone Library online and download a bunch to your XTL. I did this when I got mine and just scrolled through them until I found some that sounded good through my amp. Saved me alot of time. I'm sure 2-String has some similar tips regarding the GT-8.

BTW, I also agree about not using too high-output pickups with these things, I've found they sound best with something more medium like a JB or PAF Pro.

Just my .02$.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by Cheap Poison

I am kinda new to effects and all that surounds them(only like reverb,delay,chorus flanger,little bit of tremelo) so i am kinda in the dark as to what i like what i woudl like how things would work togheter.

Keep things simple when you start.
Second hand boss GP-8 or GP-16 (That's Gulf-Papa, NOT Gulf-Tango) and a FC-100 footswitch.

You get the whole collection of vintage boss effect pedals with exactly the same controls.
thanks for the info guys.
But i think i am kinda set on the Gt-8, i also can have this one very cheap. i might be able to get one for 50-60 bucks more as a regular podXT so i'll pay around 300. i don't think thats a bad price.

But i am still kinda holding back on the pick-up part. I am pretty sure evolution would be to a litlle bit to much out put.
Actually the Evolution pickups are OK with a multi, I used to have a Jem with those and it sounded fine.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.