I wish there was a sticky of something like this.

And before I get a lot of "USE THE SEARCH BUTTON" answers, I did search, but I didn't find anything that really answered my questions.

Allright, with that out of the way, I've been playing for two years and recently ditched my old crappy strat rip-off for an Epi LP Standard (Great guitar for the price).
I'm playing through a Crate XT15R, with a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive Pedal, but it doesn't help my sound much at all except for producing a lot of feedback.

I'm looking for a way to get a nice metal tone (Think Metallica, Pantera, Black Label Society, etc.) without breaking the bank. I'll prob. return the Boss Pedal and then I'll have about $100. I'm thinking about getting a Metal Muff. Suggestions/Comments?
Quote by Kensai
When I wear it I have to fight off women with a stick. Ifyouknowwhatimean.

Quote by daytripper75
Today, 2:51pm EST: Prodigy179 has officially hit puberty.

They're eating her! And then they're going to eat me!
OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-
Moved.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Ebay... JCM 800 or Mesa Mark III...
You can usually score either one for under $1000...

Just depends if you want Dark or Bright tone, or modern vs classic..
go with mesa or marshall respectively...

Also: run the head through your crate as a cab until you can save money for a nice cab... or buy a carvin cab for like $360...
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
lol, your boss super overdrive was used by zakk wylde from black label society

I don't think that a digitech metal master would be breaking the bank
I know, but his amps are going to make it work A LOT better than my POS
Quote by Kensai
When I wear it I have to fight off women with a stick. Ifyouknowwhatimean.

Quote by daytripper75
Today, 2:51pm EST: Prodigy179 has officially hit puberty.

They're eating her! And then they're going to eat me!
OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-
return you boss pedal, and get a Roland cube 15x instead of your crate.. that amp is amazing..It will get you that nice Metallica tone. heres a link for a 100 dollar Roland cube 15X:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLCUBE15X
the reason i say this is because you could play a gibson sg though like a cheapo amp and make it sound terrible, but you can play a squire through a mesa boogie(good amp) and make it sound pretty good. So If your playing an alright guitar though a crappy amp, with a good pedal, its not going to be a good sound. If you buy a decent amp and play a decent guitar through it, you will be a lot more happy than buying a great pedal and using on a crap amp.
Last edited by GuitarEvan07 at Mar 11, 2007,