Ok so I was reading this:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/soloing/soloing_basics_part_3_-_harmonizing.html

Of course it helped a lot but I'm a bit confused about something. See it says that something like this:

E----
B----
G--6-
D--7-
A---
E---
Would be a major 3rd harmony, specifically an "A" major third diad. So my question is, why wouldn't it be a C# augmented fifth diad? Does it depend on the root? Any help appreciated.
Quote by thrash64
yes, the lower note determins the interval in both sheet music and tab.

Not necessarily, inverted chords screw around with the positions of the notes so that the root could be the highest note in some cases.
^That's what really confused me, inverted chords and chords like C/E where a tone from the chord is the bass isntead. So can anyone give me some help in that area too?
Last edited by musiclover2399 at Mar 11, 2007,
Quote by musiclover2399
So my question is, why wouldn't it be a C# augmented fifth diad?

Because A major third is easier and more common and A is most likely the root note. However, if it was played over a C#m chord I would probably call it a minor sixth.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
it depends on the context, and which note in the diad makes more sense.

C9 is the same as Gmin/C, D11 is the same as C/D

but if you're in C major, you would emphasise C9, not Gmin/C, because Gmin isnt in the key of C major