As a sort of spin off from the "wtf is this amalgam of wood and string?" thread, i bring you....The Exotic Instrument thread!

(i'm also planning to start a band full of instruments like this so i need to have a few ideas )

here's one mentioned in the other thread...

Balalaika
sitar
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Sitar

editAMN YOU SEEK AND DESTROY
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by cleadus_134
I'd say mostly Primus fans only know what a whamola is.

what is it?

At first I thought it said "Erotic instruments"
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Quote by cleadus_134
I'd say mostly Primus fans only know what a whamola is.

Les Claypool makes that thing his *****
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Quote by Metal-X
steel drum

....steel pan

Wangcaster anyone
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Quote by Daedelus
what is it?

Basically its a square metal tube with one string, and a lever at the top that controls the pitch. It also has a fretboard, and is played with a drumstick. If you search it on youtube, you should find a video of him playing it.
i've heard of a whamola, i've neard heard of primus before.

and @ walker-rose: OWNED

EDIT OH and exotic instruments: Krumhorn (my friend has way too much time, he discovered this, google it) dijarido (aussie horn thing), tablas, ummm that chinese sting thing (like a harp, but on a table)
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Last edited by seek_&_destroy at Mar 11, 2007,
Quote by andrew12398

wangcaster?
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
ah, yes. the didgeredo.

my friend made one. haha, it's only a big pipe.

his is a pvc pipe with duct tape on one end.

bitch to play though.
Iuno... The China Cymbal? :P

Oh, this one's awesome... Go on YouTube and look up "Theremin". That is such a cool instrument.
Quote by Jesus Himself Christ
You know, you're one pretty cool guy, Kylster.

Please click this and critique some little ditties I done madeified myselfins!
Guitbass and basitar. PUSA!
The person below me is probably a homosexual.
I've been wanting to use that cheese pic all day and thought this was a good time. Plus the PRS private stock really does have stunning guitars, works of art even.
Wouldn't really call most of these exotic! I actually have a one-man project that uses a lot of old traditional Irish/Greek/Norse instruments over guitar melodies (Uilleann pipes - an Irish form of bellows-blown bagpipes, a Greek Bouzouki - a modern form of a Lute, an Irish flute, etc.) I've also been playing a lot with the Nyckelharpa (keyed fiddle) and the Hardingfele (a type of fiddle from Norway with sympathetic strings.) I'm also in the process of getting a Cimpoi custom made, as well as a Bombarde - which is like a medieval incarnation of a modern oboe!
- Celtic folk metal | - Folk metal | - Folk Metal label/Distro
i feel i should bump this by saying...

i have another member who can play the didgeredo and bagpipes.