Hello, I recently received my first electric guitar and amp and such, and am very satisfied with it, but I would like to expand my collection get at least one effects pedal. The trick is, I'm not sure what kind I want or what is a good quality. I kind of need a distortion pedal, even though my amp has overdrive (it's an Epiphone Slingshot 25R), because the overdrive isn't that strong sounding, especially on my guitar (I have a Squier Affinity Telecaster), and not even on my friend's Starcaster. I was thinking about some Danelectro pedals like the FAB, or the one's named after foods but I don't know if they work. These pedals need to be cheap and slightly durable (though not army tough). Please help me.
Last edited by TontoGoneCrazy at Mar 11, 2007,
I looked at the Maxon OD808 on Musician's Friend, and it was WAY out of my range. Keep in mind I'm 14 with no job, saving up money in a Reindeer Piggy Bank. I'm thinking in the 40$ OR LESS even area, no very big, but can you try?
Natural Blonde w/ Black pickguard Squier Affinity Telecaster
Epiphone Slingshot 25R Amplifier
Dunlop Tortex .5mm Picks - Red
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Danelectro Fab Chrous Pedal
Dunlop Cry-Baby Wah Pedal
Mostly rock, alternative, a little punk influence here and there. Some blues, too. I've only been learning for a couple months though, so I still pretty much suck.
boss ds-2..is like 30 something..

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
For a while I used a Digitech Grunge pedal. That pedal actually sounds better than you may think. I traded it in when I got my amp, but it worked great and nailed any type of distortion I tried. I play progressive metal and bluesy stuff mostly, and it nailed both. Plus it is only 40 bucks.

P.S.- Dont get any of the Fab pedals, the sound would be horrible with you squire.
Ok, thank you for the red flag.
get the boss DS-1
its about $40 bucks
and pretty good for what you wanna play

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
OK, what is the biggest difference between the Boss DS-1 and DS-2?

Also, what if I looked into a phaser pedal, any suggestions? I have no idea if I should get one or not.
Digitech Bad Monkey (Overdrive pedal and doesn't suck tone)
or
Danelectro Fab Distortion + Fab Overdrive (more versatility and if you don't mind about tone)
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Some of those older dano's, like the fabtone sound really good. I also like the RATs, but they are rather expensive. I got my Turbo RAT for 10 bucks at a garage sale.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
the ds-1 is "the" distortion pedal
it was the first that boss ever made
and pretty much is a "standard"

the ds-2 is an upgraded version...
it has a turbo mode, which gives a different kind of distortion
get soundclips of MF

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by TontoGoneCrazy
Hello, I recently received my first electric guitar and amp and such, and am very satisfied with it, but I would like to expand my collection get at least one effects pedal. The trick is, I'm not sure what kind I want or what is a good quality. I kind of need a distortion pedal, even though my amp has overdrive (it's an Epiphone Slingshot 25R), because the overdrive isn't that strong sounding, especially on my guitar (I have a Squier Affinity Telecaster), and not even on my friend's Starcaster. I was thinking about some Danelectro pedals like the FAB, or the one's named after foods but I don't know if they work. These pedals need to be cheap and slightly durable (though not army tough). Please help me.

Stay away from danelectro like the plague. The boss DS-1 is a good value.
You don't get distortion from the guitar, it's from the amp entirely, unless you use pedals.
No, I'm saying my guitar isn't made to have the same, harder sound with distortion as other guitars.