I was wondering what kind if equipment I need to buy in order to do decent recordings of covers.

I have an acoustic guitar and my voice.

I was wondering what kind of audio program I use, and the products I need to buy.

I'm guessing all I need a microphone, but what kind?
I'm trying to keep my budget cheap, and the cheapest best working item would be great.

I would appreciate any help from anyone.

Thanks!
Daffodils for Delilah.
Acoustic EP.
Well, for the program, you can download Audacity for free and use it, but if you want to spend some money for a good program, I'd suggest Cubase. As far as what you need, I'm not really good with that kind of stuff (our bass player does our records). He uses a firepod to plug in mics to record, but that's not exactly cheap. You could just do what I do when I want to record something, use a regular computer headset/mic into Cubase LE, it's not the greatest sound, but if you're not looking for high quality, it gets the job done.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Mar 11, 2007,
as far as recording software, check out limewire or some other file sharing site that does files, and, look up Cakewalk Pro Audio 9. check out 9 cuz all ya gotta do is plug into your puter's mic input and hit record. an imbassile could run cakewalk, so, thus, it's actually a cakewalk to play with. and it runs on next to nothing. the mic, i have no idea. peace.
Guys, don't promote warez it is illegal and gives UG a bad name.

Also, don't even touch limewire, it is virus ridden.
Last edited by Funcoot at Mar 11, 2007,
If you want good recordings, I reccomend Adobe Audition 2.0, A GOOD MICROPHONE (I can't emphasise that enough), and a little know how on editing and eq'ing. Of course two good microphones, a good soundcard/preamp etc. would help a lot.

For an example of what Audition can do, listen to my latest song 'You put a spell on me'. It's not top quality, but hey, i feel like a bit of cheap advertising!

htpp://www.olivergoldingmusic.com
Thanks for the suggestions.
Although, I don't want to go and purchase (or download) all those programs and install them onto my computer.

Do you have a solid agreement on a good program?
I'm sort of lenient towards Cakewalk or Adobe Audition.

And, I still would appreciate some help with the microphone.
Daffodils for Delilah.
Acoustic EP.
Quote by Funcoot
Guys, don't promote warez it is illegal and gives UG a bad name.

Also, don't even touch limewire, it is virus ridden.

I'll second that about promoting illegal sofware.

I'm trying to keep my budget cheap, and the cheapest best working item would be great.

This is always going to be the limiting factor, I'm afraid. Not for the software because Audacity is excellent. Also check out Reaper.

The hard bit are the mics and audio computer interface. I'm not being smart, but without a stated budget, it's impossibe to give practical advice.
^ Also, does your computer have usb 2.0, firewire, or a line-in port?

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
My computer has a USB 2.0, and a line-in port, and a microphone port.

Right now, I'm using a microphone I found in my closet.
I think it's used for karaoke? It's a normal looking microphone.

Thanks.
Daffodils for Delilah.
Acoustic EP.
how bout that line 6 thingy ?? maybe he can use that.
Gear:::

Schecter C1 Classic - drop C - .11's
Ibanez rg321 (emg 81/85) - drop D - .10's
----------------------
Peavey 6505+
Peavey XXX 412 cab
Crate VTX212b Combo - practice amp.
----------------------
ibanez TS9

For a microphone I should at least take a MXL 990 (60 euro's) microphone and some pre-amp
I wouldn't go with the last 2 mics you posted. Right now I record with one of those crappy desktop mics, and it's fine to piss around with, but not very good quality otherwise.
I'm planning on putting my music on the web.

I think that a condenser mic would be really good, but I'm not so good with these things.
Daffodils for Delilah.
Acoustic EP.
Simply put, you can't cut corners with microphones. It's just one of those things. You may be an excellent guitar player and singer, but without the right equipment you're not going to get that across to its full potential.

Condensor mics are the way forward, and you can find some good deals. Look for: MXL, Samson, Shure, SEelectronics, Rode etc. Likewise after you purchase a couple of good mics start looking at soundcards and USB interfaces. Those mics you listed are trash. I use a SAMSON C03 for my guitar (£49) and an SEelectronics m1c for vocals (£79) - in terms of mics, they are VERY cheap, but i get quite decent results.

I'd recommend the samson range for people on a tight budget. or maybe even this one. I don't know your budget, but as I said, you can't be a cheap skate on microphones.

htpp://www.olivergoldingmusic.com
Condenser microphones will have better results for recording than the dynamic microphones. The only catch is that you need a preamp to boost their signal before you send them into your computer. I agree with ask_withnail, those brands are all good on a budget.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXL-990MXL-991-Recording-Microphone-Package?sku=273166

That is probably the best deal for mics.

Gear:
Quote by ask_withnail
Simply put, you can't cut corners with microphones. It's just one of those things.

agreed. someone said it several posts up, but i'd also reccomend the MXL 990 if you're on a tight budget. although it isn't $5 or some other exorbitantly cheap price, it's a friggin really good mike for only about $60 (that's what they were when i bought mine anyway... they may have gone up). beware that you are going to need phantom power for this mike!
^ Yeah, the link I posted is the MXL 990/991 set for $100. The 990 on itself is $59.99. You will need something to go between the mics and your computer anyways, so just make sure whatever you get has XLR inputs that are phantom powered. They act like a preamp...just not quite as much juice is necessary.

Gear:
Quote by roamingbard13
Yeah, the link I posted is the MXL 990/991 set for $100.

man, that's a pretty darn good little package there!