I want a more hard rock/metal tone for my guitar, so i've been thinking about installing a dimarzio in the bridge position, but i have relatively no knowledge of electronics, and don't want to screw this up. i could always take it to a local shop, but it's something i want to have under my belt, so how hard would it be to take out my current pickup and install a new one?
The wiring diagrams are online anyway and so are the DM PUs. I'd recommend buying a $9 soldering gun kit from RadioShack. After 2 days of practicing, working on your guitar's electronics will be cake.

Tip: When disassembling and de-soldering, make sure you mark what's connected to where, etc.

Quote by Ippon
The wiring diagrams are online anyway and so are the DM PUs. I'd recommend buying a $9 soldering gun kit from RadioShack. After 2 days of practicing, working on your guitar's electronics will be cake.

Tip: When disassembling and de-soldering, make sure you mark what's connected to where, etc.

yay
^yeah yay. If you have the least bit of common sense and basic knowledge of how to solder then you should have no problems.
Except you don't use a soldering gun, use an iron. I forget the exact reason, but I believe that a soldering gun can mess with the magnets on a pickup.

Pick up a 15/30w switchable iron from RS and use it at the 30w setting for soldering the new pickups in. It's a really quick and easy job.
Quote by SolidxSnake
Except you don't use a soldering gun, use an iron. I forget the exact reason, but I believe that a soldering gun can mess with the magnets on a pickup.

Pick up a 15/30w switchable iron from RS and use it at the 30w setting for soldering the new pickups in. It's a really quick and easy job.

Good catch!

Ya make sure you use an iron, and not a gun otherwise it will mess your pickups up. I installed some for the first time a few weeks ago, it was no problem at all. Im glad i didn't pay $40 to let my local guitar shop do it.
Man...this guy doesn't even need to write a suicide note. He can just leave a link to this thread on his computer and everyone will understand.
its alot easier than i thought when i did mine. all the wireing diagrams can be found very easily on the internet all you have to do is make sure u have the wires going to the right places. its very easy and fast. it took me like 10 minutes if even that.

try this site for the diagrams www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/
i am known by none and feard by many!!! half the lies i tell are not true!!!

-juggalo pride
Last edited by nickhell at Mar 12, 2007,