If you just want to get to the point just go to the last bit.

Well, I have been saving up my money for a long time with working and such. Right now I have about $1120. I had oringinally decided on an Orange Rocker 30 combo. But I feel there might be more out there after looking around a bit.

Today I went to Guitar Works to see if they had a better price on the Rocker 30 than Long and Mcquade. I asked the guitar person about the Orange and he said that the store stopped carrying them because they didn't sell very well, and also they had just started bringing in Marshalls. He then led me over to the Mesas which he recommended I look at.

Eventually, he set me up on a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 Combo I played around on it for a while and it was great. It was $1400 so I'm $280 away if I decide to buy it.

So I was wondering if there were any other amps you all think I should look at. Or if you think I should get the Express or still think about the Orange. I play classic rock, blues and jazz and i'm looking for something with good heavy overdrive to if I need it, but I also need good cleans. My budget will be about $1600. Thanks!

Sorry about writing all this. I just don't want to end up making a bad decision on an amp when i'm spending over $1000.
Research, research, research. But I don't think you could go wrong with Mesa...

I have the Mesa F 50 and it's quit versatile. However, a lot of guys get hardons for orange, they must be awesome amps.

If I were you, I'd save for the orange and don't settle for anything else. But that's jut my .002.
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
well have you played the orange? because if not you definatly should and decide which one you like better

and jinskee should be in here soon to convince you to get the orange
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
Last edited by tbsff_7 at Mar 11, 2007,
The orange can practically nail what you want...

But as a rule of thumb; Just take our advice as something to consider, not something to live by. So basically, just keep trying them out...

The rocker has a crazy amount of gain and I'm quite sure it can nail classic rock and blues with a slap of reverb on it. And if you want to know, it can definatley nail hard rock tones.

Keep looking though man, you'll find one eventually.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by tbsff_7
well have you played the orange? because if not you definatly should and decide which one you like better

and jinksee should be in here soon to convince you to get the orange

Dang man, you psychic!?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by tbsff_7

his orange senses were tingling.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by MrSandMan
Research, research, research. But I don't think you could go wrong with Mesa...

I have the Mesa F 50 and it's quit versatile. However, a lot of guys get hardons for orange, they must be awesome amps.

If I were you, I'd save for the orange and don't settle for anything else. But that's jut my .002.

In some situations, you CAN go wrong with mesa's. But with that said, they're awesome amps.

There's always the lone star *yum*

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
In some situations, you CAN go wrong with mesa's. But with that said, they're awesome amps.

There's always the lone star *yum*

There's a Mesa out there for every desired taste.. with that said, there could be something better to fullfil ones craving. Hence, An Orange for the OP-

Road King
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
Quote by tbsff_7

I'm going to ask Long and Mcquade if they can bring one in for me to try out.

Thanks for the replys everyone!
Mesas that i have played (one) have awesome tone, and sound good actually quiet. That said, Orange are supposedly "teh pwn". so It depends on You. I tried a VHT combo out friday, great sound with or without pedals. Sounded good with Big muff, SD-1, Phasers, flangers, anything really. I recommend searching out one of those for a test. Also, you could go H&K, which are supposedly Uber as well. You can get one used for 1300. Kustom also.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by MrSandMan
There's a Mesa out there for every desired taste.. with that said, there could be something better to fullfil ones craving. Hence, An Orange for the OP-

Road King

You just restated what I said...

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by shizzybrane
I'd go with the orange. its a great tube amp and you wont be disappointed.

I salute you.

A man with a roadking stack reccomends an orange. *salutes*

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
thanks bro... both companies make really awesome amplifiers. Both have their ups/downs. I really want to get an orange combo but it's going to be a while because i have to save save save. I'd use it mostly for studio work with punk/classic rock type sounds. I use the mesa for straight thrash/metal and cleans.
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I'm going to see if I can play them both at Long and Mcquade and compare. I'll also check out some of those other amps some of you recommended.
Quote by Pud
If you just want to get to the point just go to the last bit.

Well, I have been saving up my money for a long time with working and such. Right now I have about $1120. I had oringinally decided on an Orange Rocker 30 combo. But I feel there might be more out there after looking around a bit.

Today I went to Guitar Works to see if they had a better price on the Rocker 30 than Long and Mcquade. I asked the guitar person about the Orange and he said that the store stopped carrying them because they didn't sell very well, and also they had just started bringing in Marshalls. He then led me over to the Mesas which he recommended I look at.

Eventually, he set me up on a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 Combo I played around on it for a while and it was great. It was $1400 so I'm $280 away if I decide to buy it.

So I was wondering if there were any other amps you all think I should look at. Or if you think I should get the Express or still think about the Orange. I play classic rock, blues and jazz and i'm looking for something with good heavy overdrive to if I need it, but I also need good cleans. My budget will be about $1600. Thanks!

Sorry about writing all this. I just don't want to end up making a bad decision on an amp when i'm spending over $1000.

unless you want the 5 watt one, youre looking at $2k.
Quote by Schecter1277
unless you want the 5 watt one, youre looking at $2k.

Long and Mcquade's price is $1550. Sorry, probably should of mentioned that.
Quote by Pud
Long and Mcquade's price is $1550. Sorry, probably should of mentioned that.

Youre forgetting the cab.
Quote by avalanche930
may i recomend a budda superdrive combo?

You know, I saw those on musicianfriends. They looked quite interesting...I've heard Budda makes great wahs...but never heard about their amps.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
he's not forgetting a cab - he either wants the rocker combo or the 5:25 mesa combo.

I played a buddah and wasn't impressed. i only had a few minutes with it though.
Last edited by shizzybrane at Mar 12, 2007,
You're looking at two great amps. If you make a "mistake," you won't be too far wrong. Definitely try the Orange before you decide, but those new Mesa's have really caught my attention. I love the fact that they're switchable to 5W, and I figure I could make use of all four voices on the things.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
You're looking at two great amps. If you make a "mistake," you won't be too far wrong. Definitely try the Orange before you decide, but those new Mesa's have really caught my attention. I love the fact that they're switchable to 5W, and I figure I could make use of all four voices on the things.

+1

at the end of the day, there's a good chance your ear for tone will change, etc.- it's virtually impossible to be 100% happy. But, as slats says, you won't got too far wrong with either.

Since you're in Canada, Traynor are pretty good value, and most certainly worth a try.

Also, full review of the new mesa express amps requested, they haven't arrived over here yet!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Try out a load of amps, but for your styles, probably Orange.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Get a Twin Reverb and a Tube Screamer...mmmmm....

Edit: Or the Orange amp.
Yeah, like Dave said, you'll never be COMPLETLEY happy.

Either one, you'll still be a winnar. Just use that as a foundation and keep building to find your own tone.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee

Either one, you'll still be a winnar. Just use that as a foundation and keep building to find your own tone.

I absolutely agree. 100%
Well thanks for all the replies so far, I plan to get down to Long and Mcquade at the weekend and try out as many amps as possible.

Oh and I just found out that Guitar Works has one Orange left, an AD30 combo priced at $1800. I haven't tried it out but I might try it out on the weekend. Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the AD30 supposed to have amazing crunch?

I've started to really consider the Rocker 30 again, unfortunately I've only ever heard sound clips. Sounds like you're in love with yours Jinksee. I just had a couple question for the Rocker 30 owners. How does it sound at low volumes? How's that natural channel? How's it work with effects pedals, like say a TS808 (my kit finally came! Can't wait to get to building it!)

Well, thanks again everyone!
Last edited by Pud at Mar 12, 2007,
Quote by Pud
Well thanks for all the replies so far, I plan to get down to Long and Mcquade at the weekend and try out as many amps as possible.

Oh and I just found out that Guitar Works has one Orange left, an AD30 combo priced at $1800. I haven't tried it out but I might try it out on the weekend. Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the AD30 supposed to have amazing crunch?

I've started to really consider the Rocker 30 again, unfortunately I've only ever heard sound clips. Sounds like you're in love with yours Jinksee. I just had a couple question for the Rocker 30 owners. How does it sound at low volumes? How's that natural channel? How's it work with effects pedals, like say a TS808 (my kit finally came! Can't wait to get to building it!)

Well, thanks again everyone!

I hear that the rocker series have more crunch than the AD series do. The AD series really do classic rock great! (Actually...so does all orange amps.) And Rocker series have A LOT of gain, so much crunch.

They sound great at lower volumes, but sound even better at higher ones. The natural channel is interesting; no trail of EQ anywhere! It's just what you have and what you play, really. I quite like it! But I haven't had an open area to play with it at high volumes yet (When I turned it up, I couldn't really comprehend the tone too well, so yeah).

But about pedals, I'm honestly not too sure. It doesn't have an FX loop so you're going to have to put your effects out in front. Shouldn't be too much of a problem though (especially if you're just going to use an OD pedal.)

I suggest asking -Intermission- or some other Orange rocker owners about that.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee

I hear that the rocker series have more crunch than the AD series do. The AD series really do classic rock great! (Actually...so does all orange amps.) And Rocker series have A LOT of gain, so much crunch.

They sound great at lower volumes, but sound even better at higher ones. The natural channel is interesting; no trail of EQ anywhere! It's just what you have and what you play, really. I quite like it! But I haven't had an open area to play with it at high volumes yet (When I turned it up, I couldn't really comprehend the tone too well, so yeah).

But about pedals, I'm honestly not too sure. It doesn't have an FX loop so you're going to have to put your effects out in front. Shouldn't be too much of a problem though (especially if you're just going to use an OD pedal.)

I suggest asking -Intermission- or some other Orange rocker owners about that.

Thanks Jinksee! I'd really love to try the amp with my Baker. I'd most likely just run the TS808 clone through if I ever need a boost even though it doesn't sound like I will. Also, I'm really excited to try that natural channel, I bet you can get some great tones out of it, eh.

Just curious Jinksee, I was wondering what music you play mostly?

Thanks once again!
I play a lot of hard rock; Guns n' Roses, AC/DC, etc
Classic rock; Led Zeppelin, Boston, blah.

You can just take a look at my profile to see the bands I usually cover :P.

And for the most part with blues, I just do improv .

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
Dang man, you psychic!?

No, you are just predictable.

Anywhoo I'm going to say what I always say when someone asks questions like this:

GO TO THE STORE AND SEE WHICH ONE YOU LIKE BEST!!!!!!!!

I say this way too often
Quote by Jinskee

yeah. the major problem is that once you have one nice amp, you start thinking how cool it'd be to have two nice amps, etc. also, you ear can change.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?