Does anyone else feel sometime they feel like there not getting anywhere with playing? I've been playing for a little under a year and I feel like I haven't really accomplished anything. I mean I have a really good teacher that I've been seeing once a week for an hour, but just watching other people sometimes, I just feel like I'm making a lot of progress. My teacher mostly teaches theory, sometimes we'll jam though, which is always fun. I know most chords, all the barre chords, all minor, major and blue scales, and a few songs. I still have trouble with alternate picking (ie crazy train intro), sweep picking (ie metallica - one before solo), and speedy palm muting (for whom the bell tolls and creeping death). Maybe I'm just a little hard on myself, I try to practice at least 30 minutes a day, but lately I've been just tired of playing scales and working on chords. I work everyday from 8 to 4:30 so usually when I come home I'm kinda tired, but I know I need to practice. It's just a lot of little things that frustrate me. I don't want to give up but I just feel that I'm not getting anywhere. I have a friend to plays drums (for about 8 years) and is into metalcore music, he always asks me to come over and jam, but I feel embarrassed because I don't really know enough to play comfortably with him. Plus it probably doesn't help that I'm shy and when people watch me play I'm even worse. Anyone feel like this? Not crying or nothing, just wanted to get it off my chest
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
i feel the very same dude .. iv been playing for some time .. totaly self taught .. first picked up a guitar about 7 years ago .. been playing properly serious for maby the past 2 years .. and i feel like i should be so much better than i am .. its only now im taking lead guitar serious .. lerning scales ect .. and i wanna try and get into a bit a shred .. i dont even liek shred music .. but i just wanna technicly be able to do it .. but yeah .. your not alone there bro
You have to push on through the plateaus of skill that you reach in order to get better. I can totally relate, I am there right now and some days I don't even want to look at the instrument because I feel like some kids on YouTube can own me five ways and back. Usually, I don't sweat it. A guy I know talked with me about guitar a little and remarked, "you've got the passion for it, don't you?" And I nodded. He almost seemed envious. I may suck now, but I'm not giving up...I can't.

Concrete advice: try a new band/style of music. Usually it will shake you out of your usual routine enough that you can come back and attempt the stuff frustrating you later on.
yes, do try other styles of music. if you seem to be repeating the same stuff over and over, branch out. or just do it because you feel like it. for example, i went from writting some blues to neoclassical all because i felt like going somewhere else. don't hold back what is coming out of you. just let yourself play
The Big Three

RR1 Rhoads, Dean FBD Dimbag Tribute ML (check), Ibanez Bad Horsie JEM

"blacker than the blackest black...times infinity."

"so get your ass checked out before its to late, turkeys!"
Oh man, I've been playing two years, and the only thing I've really gotten better at in the past 2 months was that I raised my alt. picking nps from 17 to about 19. I really dislike getting to a point where you don't progress much, but as far as I can tell, the best way to get better is just keep working at it and explore different types of music. I had one huge breakthrough where I just totally upgraded. I didn't stop progressing for about 5 months. and I don't mean tiny progressions, I whent from not being able to play Led Zeppelin to playing Rusty Cooley, Shawn Lane, etc. All it is man is practice, and imagining that you can do it.
Quote by Yespleasevicar
NevermorePsalm thank you for showing me how clever and witty one person can be in just a few sentances. My God i wanna be like u so much! In fact we all do. Well done

Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt own my soul.
thanks guys, glad I'm not alone. Just gonna keep on practicing and hopefully I'll get better over time. Just sucks because you feel like your making progress, then you watch some 10 year old on youtube destroy his axe and it makes you feel pretty small
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Lol, you own me and I've been playing the same amount of time.....Make your own riffs and let some people hear them because when someone says they like your riff you feel so awesome...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
oh and also try to play more than just 30 mins

(A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music)

BUY MY DW 7002 DOUBLE BASS PEDAL
im feeling you bro.... haha

what im doing is looking for new styles and try it out... you will learn new things and you can get inspired and do something more and more and more...
My gear:

Ibanez RGR320EX
BOSS DS1 MODDED
BEHRINGER DD100
CHORUS
EQ

LINE 6 SPIDER III 75 WATTS
Yeah I've been playing for years now and I still suck. Sure I can solo but it starts sounding the same pretty quickly. I practice at least an hour a day and feel like I've reached some sort of guitarists block. Dammit.
Gear: Lindo victory flying V, Orange 30w practice amp, Jazz iii guitar picks, mobile phone apps for tuner and metronome.
Dude, you sound like your doing pretty well. You know most chords in different forms and you have only been playing for a year. I have been playing for two, almost three years. Until I was playing for about two and a half years I only knew open chord shapes. Right now I feel like my level of playing has come to a halt sometimes. I am doing classical but my sight reading is terrible so I can't really advance until I learn to read music and not just tab. Show other people your playing also, when I show people my playing they are always suprised at how I am improved, espeicialy if they know nothing about playing instruments lol. Just keep it up and you will start to improove. Never think that you are getting absouluotly nowere, if people thinked like that then they would all quit. Rock on mate .
Last edited by Tenacious S at Mar 13, 2007,
explore different types of music. I had one huge breakthrough where I just totally upgraded. I didn't stop progressing for about 5 months. and I don't mean tiny progressions, I whent from not being able to play Led Zeppelin to playing Rusty Cooley, Shawn Lane, etc. All it is man is practice, and imagining that you can do it.

Its taken me three months of guitar learning to get the dazed and confused solo and you just totally pissed on my parade

Anyway, try new warm up exercises new scales picking exercises. Whenever i get a block i play a few scales or chromatics for a few minutes and come back to any blocks and it all tends to work. That or do your best and sleep on it. Its like working out, all the improvement seems to come after you've rested and allowed muscles time to form and memorise
awesome, I try to practice for more than 30 minutes, but like I said, when I come home, I'm beat, and plus sometimes I have other stuff I gotta take care before I can play, but I try to play at LEAST 30 minutes. I actually have switched up and starting doing different stuff, I'm learning nothing else matters solo and have gotten the solo down pretty well, just gotta clean it up some, but it's definitely coming along. So I've started to progress again. The only thing I'm still struggling with is fast palm muting, that keeps me playing some of favorite songs, anyone have any tips on that? Thanks for the pick-me-ups guys!
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Quote by Bad Seed
Awesome! Thanks man, looks like a cool website!

It is a nice site, but they want your money so be weary

<_<
>_>
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.