so I play a mostly punk/hardcore and I have a Epiphone SG with alnico-magnet humbuckers i think, and personnally i think their crappy

but my question is should i just get a distortion pedal or new humbuckers to help with my sound

and if you say humbuckers tell me what kind

what kind of pedal to get would be nice to know also
Last edited by PunkNDrublic318 at Mar 11, 2007,
if your amp is high-gain then pickups

if its not, then pedal
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Yes alot of your tone actually depends on your amp. I've heard about 70%? And punk/hardcore, maybe some active EMG's...
Sorry, I don't know many types of pickups at the moment... So wait for someone else to reply first...
you own crate. Hah. Anyway, you should probably start off getting a new amp, crate is just fake... right down to the preamp recifitiers, but if you want better tone, you want new pickups, a pedal just gives you a better tone in one aspect.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
Go for the pedal. New pickups will change your sound, but without a nice amp you will hardly notice the difference.

I have no idea what type of music you play, so I really can't give you a good suggestion for a distortion pedal. I can say that my GT212 sounds great with a Jekyll & Hyde, so that might be something to look in to.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)