how do i get that SRV tone?
what specific things?
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
huge strings, strong hands, modified strat, modified amp
Quote by The Leader
You know what they found in Jeffrey Dahmers freezer?
...Ben and Jerry (ba dum bum psh)

Quote by ninemonthmedia
if there was a metal jail, Metallica would be Pantera’s bitch

RIP Kurt Cobain
RIP Dimebag Darrell
Burn in hell Nathan Gale
not specific enough^
like what eq settings?
what pickups?
what gauge strings?
etc
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
lots of trebs
more mids
even more bass
stevie ray vaughan's texas overwound pickups or sumtin
13 gauge

just get his signature guitar and the soldano amp
or a '64 fender vibrolux or sumtin
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
lol..... there is an easier way. buy a strat preferably with 10s or higher switch it to the neck pickup and run it through a fender amp with lots of bass about 7
What the hell?12 or 13?Jesus,that's freaky
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
all you need is a single coil in the neck through an overdrive pedal through a cranked tube amp. use thick strings and a lot of mid to get a good bite and to get good clarity, and the rest is up to your fingers.
Well...SRV was THE man.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Overwound pickups are the key to his beefy tone.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by avalanche930
all you need is a single coil in the neck through an overdrive pedal through a cranked tube amp. use thick strings and a lot of mid to get a good bite and to get good clarity, and the rest is up to your fingers.

+1
A Texas Special pickup in the neck and a tubescreamer should get you fairly close to his tone.
Right, take off your guitar, and put it on the floor.

Okay? Now pull down your pants, and squat over it.

Pretty soon, you'll have a rough approximation of his sound.
The pickups need to be hand wound to 1959 specs. That is 7930 windings for the neck and middle pickup with slightly more winding for the bridge. The bobbins need to be Forbon. The magnets need to be degaussed a lot. SRV's pickups were overwound by todays standard but the magnets were really really REALLY weak so the pickups were very low output. Pickups like these can only be bought from small time guys. You can't get them for SD or DM. Once you have the right pickups you need to play with the volume on your guitar only turned half way up. Plug into the low gain side of a good fender style tube amp and turn the volum all the way up.
Not taking any online orders.
would the fender SCN pickups get a good srv tone if combined with a ts9 and carvin belair?
Quote by beeboshain
get a Ibanez TS808 tubescreamer and you may have the tone
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Fender bassman amp (re-issue unless you want to dish out LOADS) Fender SRV strat or a regular strat with .13 strings and SRV pickups, if you can change the neck to a Pau Ferro neck, oh and he had a nitro finish so highway 1 might be an idea.
Then two Ibanez TS-808 tubescreamers.
And I'm not 100% sure on settings but I know that you should mainly use the neck pickup, but he doesnt re-strict himself to that, for example, dirty pool is played on the mid and neck pickup then at the end switches to the bridge.
Definately get a TS808. It helped me a lot in finding similar tone. Set your pick-ups very low, roll down the tone a bit, and keep your trebles and bass settings high. Having a clean amp like a Fender also helps, as the overdriven sound is cleaner.
High as tits
i get pretty close with a strat, size 11 strings, my fender hot rod deluxe cranked and the bass and mids to 12, and the treble to 9, maybe more or less depending on the room. but honestly alot of his tone comes from his specific technique and his fingers.
fender strat with texas style pickups
fender-type tube amp with reverb (cranked, preferably)
tubescreamer-type OD pedal.

and SRV's playing style, obviously. I guess thicker strings like his wouldn't hurt, but if you have it all down to the strings, you're probably close enough.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Are you gonna' exactly copy his sound? Don't.

But overwound pickups, vintage style Strat, tubescreamer, and whatever amp he used, and heavy guage strings.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^no i am not like that arlabester kid that spends loads to get himself to sound a certain way.
i just like SRV's tone the most of any other guitarist and i want to base my own unique tone on that thick tone he gets
ya know what i mean?
Quote by beeboshain
I don't see what everyone has against arlabester all of a sudden, he's a good guy, and he isn't trying to sound exactly like someone. Even if he were, who are we to say he's wrong?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
good point, it just seems like he spends lots of money on sumthin then right after gets sumthing else.
and i think i have all the suggestions i need
Quote by beeboshain
Last edited by libskate44 at Mar 12, 2007,