Page 1 of 2
OK everyone, time to list your 5 favourite parts of being a bassist...
I'll start...
1. Big biceps, humongous forearms (really, bigger than the rest of my arms)
2. Tough/smooth hands and fingers
3. Complete freedom... I can slap, pop, tap, play fingerstyle, classical-guitar style, or pickstyle, although I'm against picking...
4. LOVE THE LOW END!!!
5. As a talented bassist, who doesn't just follow the root notes on guitars, I am in very high demand at my school... there are only about 5 bassists
I wish I were in any demand... -_-

1- It's easier for me to play (good) than guitar and keyboard.
2- I also like lowend, and if I want to play something highend, I can just go up the neck.
3- I can make decent music, as opposed to on guitar or piano or vocals.
4- It's something to pass the time.
5- I feel I now have a better overall understanding of music than before playing bass.
^ You are a Bassist! Go find a gutarist that doesn't think he is the center of the universe!

1 - I have a better understnding of the music I lisen to.
2 - I like experementing in my music, and the Bass is the best instrument to experement with, concidering nobody really does anything with Bass.
3 - Effects like Wah sounds ALOT better on Bass than guitar!
4 - LOW
5 - END
Quote by Fast_Bear
^ You are a Bassist! Go find a gutarist that doesn't think he is the center of the universe!
There are none to be found.

edit: v pretty much any musician in these parts are hard to some by.
Last edited by maXterbat0r at Mar 12, 2007,
isnt as obvious if you **** up live
Quote by Charlatan_001
Uh-oh. People might mistake you for a homosexual if you buy a purple pedal.

Quote by Shredlet
You own an Rg2570E and you live in Australia I to you sir!
PROS:

1) Your arms do get pretty jacked if you play enough.

2) High demand, whether you good or not

3) I better appreciate music now after taking up bass

4) There are more ways of playing bass than any other instrument in a band

5) You control the low end

CONS:

1) You might have to deal with BS from people who don't understand bass

2) Your can be pushed around if you don't stand up for yourself

3) You have to go through a bunch of **** to be heard if the sound guy or other band members tell you to turn it down. **** THAT

4) Bass IS harder than guitar if you want to go into the unique playing styles you can use on bass (pop, slap, fingeres, ect.)

5) Its rare to know another bass player you can jam with and learn from

To me, the pros definitely out weigh the cons as long as you can make yourself heard.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Last edited by SOCOOLITHURTS at Mar 12, 2007,
I play guitar and bass...

1. Slap tones.
2. Things sound cool an octave lower.
3. It's smoooooth.
4. The bassline from Hysteria by Muse.
5. I'm tall, so my instrument actually matches my size, haha.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by watchingmefall
My best friend (also my guitarist) prefers to have a bass solo in our songs than a guitar solo

I wish my guitarist is like that. He always wants the glory.
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
I guess a good thing is I always get comments like 'Wow, a girl who plays the bass, she's kinda hot'
But personally, I just love the low end.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
^and sitting on the amp

bass is better for big fingers

strings break less often

when you do flashy stuff on bass you draw a crowd

It's socially acceptable to only wear a sock on the trouser trumpet when you have a bass slung round you
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
^ thats werid dude
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
^ if your not a bassist

less solo's = less to compensate for

longer neck = we're just used to big things
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Pro's of playing bass.

1. It's fairly more easy to play then guitar
2. Nice bass sound duh :p
3. Most people won't hear you make mistakes when your gigging.

Cons

1. Bass guitar players are always weird looking , ie. Bigass nose , ****in tall , flappy ears :p
2. A lot of them think they can keep making mistakes because they think no one will notice...
3. You don't get the "OMG he's good , attention from females xD"

Psst :^) that's why I play guitar , (lol j/k i just like guitar more , more choice , and more to learn overall i think.....)
- For someone my height (I'm 6'5) it's awkward to hold a guitar. I feel like bass is the instrument which most captures my physical essence. Though that's just a coincidence.

- And while I don't endorse this, it is no doubt a common phenomenon. If you ever get tired of being creative or useful as a bassist, you can always just sink to the level of root notes and being, for lack of a better term, a trainee guitarist.
When crying don't help
You can't compose yourself
It's best to compose a poem
An honest verse of longing
Or a simple song of hope...
-You have alot of freedom musically in the band
-You have have control over melody and rhythm
-String snapping is less frequent so as a result you can be more aggressive will the instrument.
-I like being the dark horse of the band. As long as you are good, people will appreciate you alot, which makes it even more rewarding when you recieve compliments.
-There's less focus on you, which means if you muck up its not as obvious.
-You and the drummer make up the backbone of the band. It's nice knowing that you are holding everything together.

And most of all ---->Rickenbacker basses! Thats if you have the money (not me )
1) Ladies love the fingers
2) Bigger, Thicker, Longer
3) A good bassist is much impressive and does more for the band than anything else.
4) It's fuckin' fun as hell to play, to a guitarist it's like you can constantly solo the whole song.
5) I can crush small villages with my hands, the ladies love it.

I think I play bass for the sexual innuendo...
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
1. Everyone plays guitar, so it feels good to be different
2. Although someone already said it, it does feel good to know that you(and your drummer) hold everything together
3. It is very acceptable for you to act crazy
4. You really don't need any effects or such, clean bass is fine for pretty much all genres of music
5. It's wanted that you are creative. All you need is a chord sheet(or really just the key of the song) and you can finger your way through it.
6. The Blues lines are sweet

The only thing that is negative about it is really just everything is bigger and therefore heavier, and I'm neither big nor strong
Advantages to being a bass player:

1. If you are good, you will always be taken seriously about your musical opinions.
2. When you cannot make a rehearsal, the rest of the band can still practice but will tell you that they actually missed having you there. You are the glue that holds the music together.
3. You can stand or sit while playing and not look like a dork. When you stand, you look cool; when you sit, you look like you are really concentrating and into the music without having to resort to stupid poser moves.
4. You don't have to change your strings as often as your shredding guitar player.
5. You don't have to smash your instrument to look cool.
6. You can solo through the entire song if you want, or you can play less than usual--it's your choice. Guitarists don't get that advantage.
7. If you forget what notes you are supposed to play, you can play some percussive riff or some ghost notes and hardly anyone will notice.
8. You can push or pull a groove, and you can cause tension in a song by playing the fourth or fifth above the root note before returning to the root note.
9. You may not get the "airhead" chicks after the show, but you will get ones that can actually carry on an intellectually stimulating conversation with you.
10. You really don't need to bring anything more than your instrument, a cable and an amp to the gig; most guitarists and drummers have to take a lot more gear!
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
pros:
1. Being one of 2 bass players in my school (and being the only one with more than a years experience) I've received many offers to join bands. I turn down a lot of them because I don't have time, but right now I'm in 4 of them, a thrash band, a metalcore band, a jazz band, and a blues band.
2. a great bass player is so much more impressive than a good guitarist because we've all heard the yngwe(sp?) shredding before. (not that there's anything wrong with that).
3. I have complete control over my parts in songs, because no one else makes suggestions or changes to my parts.
4. The only thing people can hear outside my drummers house when we practice is my basslines and the kick drum.
5. Bassists have the most freedom for improv live because only the intelligent ones will notice your fills anyway.

cons:
1. everything is so damn expensive. $30 for strings, $500 for a decent amp above 100 watts, etc.
2. Guitarists can get away with 150 watts for gigs when I need 300+
3. Your volume is completely relative to where the listener is positioned.
4. Guitarists are f'ing egomaniacs because they can play a trivium solo. pfft.
5. New England has a drum championship,a guitar championship, multiple accordion championshups, but has ignored the underprivileged but equally important population of bass players who have more groove and feeling in their playing than all the guitarists put together.
i'll give a pro, bands are always lookinh for a good bassist
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by Dinkydaisy
I guess a good thing is I always get comments like 'Wow, a girl who plays the bass, she's kinda hot'
But personally, I just love the low end.

ur not wrong there!

1) i like the big strings
2) u can buy insanely powerful amps and piss the **** out of ne sound guy who tries to turn u down
3) it's sexy
4) The low end is just insane, even from my crappy little 12-incher.
5) ppl say ur shit but u know they're just jeallous of ur big strong fingers.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Generally, as a bassist you don't get too much attention- which is great for me, as I tend to avoid the limelight. BUT if you're a good bassist and people notice you, you get good attention. Any bassists here agree?
signature
^ Defo, i woz just listenin to RHCP and the bass was actually LOUDER then the guitar!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by Bullet-Rule
Generally, as a bassist you don't get too much attention- which is great for me, as I tend to avoid the limelight. BUT if you're a good bassist and people notice you, you get good attention. Any bassists here agree?

...smart... that's why I quit guitar.... I used to play in the halls at school, and everybody would notice... when I play bass in the halls, only the smarter people pay attention... after a while though, I started noticing all these great things about bass
Quote by Bullet-Rule

Oh yeah, thats what I love about bass playing. Guitarists get constant attention, good guitarists are everywhere even and get even more attention, but it becomes bland and everyone knows it; good bassists are worshipped.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
^ Cliff Burton
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
DinkyDaisy, you lead the holy BASS MILITIA???

*hails*

One of the best things about bass I reckon, is less hassle for requests by people (just a personal one, I know).

Another great thing about bass is even your fingers get pimped muscles.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
Pros: (In no particular order really)
1. Being in high demand
2. Having the low end all to yourself
3. Many different techniques to use whilst playing
4. Being able to shake the ground
5. Satisfaction of holding everything together.
6. Less pressure=People wont always notice your mistakes

Cons:
1. Being forced to turn down
2. Dumb asses calling you a freaking guitarist!!!!!!
3. Generally less resources (fewer bass tabs, fewer bassists to practice with, etc...)
4. Being called useless and unimportant!
1) I prefer the way the bass sounds over the guitar
2) People will be like oh man you suck...then they hear you play and are blown away
3) If you dont stick to the root notes of the guitar, it takes more talent to play
4) Slapping and popping is fudging awsome and fun as hell
5) Tapping sounds alot better on the bass
6) When you make a more amazing line than your guitarist you feel acomplished

It isnt easier than the guitar, its jusst that guitars seem to rule over the popular music world so people just seem to think its harder

Quote by UndeadPaperclip
Oh yeah, thats what I love about bass playing. Guitarists get constant attention, good guitarists are everywhere even and get even more attention, but it becomes bland and everyone knows it; good bassists are worshipped.

I agree, when your a guitarists to be worshipped you have to do something extreme and genre defining, but you only have to be a decent bassist you really doesnt stick to the root notes to be worshipped, like flea...not amazing but alot of poeple call him the bass god
Quote by unfathomable_bo
Well it isnt hard to bend a string that has the tension of a piece of well cooked spaghetti, especially when you have hands like goalkeeper gloves

My songs: (more to come) (C4C's)
Screams fell silent underneath the black sun
Last edited by Stolenidentity1 at Mar 12, 2007,
Pros:
1. Low sound.
2. Nice clean sound.
3. You're better at analyzing music.
4. You don't need to shred at 400bpm to look good.
5. Tougher strings.
6. Gives you muscular arms.
7. Unless he's really monstrous, chicks dig bassists.
8. The instrument is sexy.

Cons:
1. A lot of people think bassists are useless because you can barely hear it.
2. When you say you're a bassist people go "oh...".
3. You don't get as much attention as a guitarist even if you know more than he does.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
1. The low end, which rattles your bones and your belly.
2. Bassists know their music theory and have the best of both worlds--rhythym and melodic.
3. Like Dinky said, female bassists are considered cool and attention worthy, usually in a positive sense. There's something just cool about female (small) with a big axe.
4. Being in demand and at times, more opportunities to play than you have time for.
5. Great upper arms without hitting a gym.
1. Being in constant demand
2. Always getting loads of compliments as i am one of the only competent bass round here
3. Sexier instrument
4. Super low end
5. Your groove matters, not your speed
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Pros
A simple two handed tapping riff will impress anyone (Y). If you get the tone right, Its like woah! Bigger, Louder and sexier.Ghost notes sound good. You can have a slow groove and it will sound amazing. Its not all about speed! (Although its always a good thing to have under your belt)

Cons
The equipment is friggin' HEAVY! Its also realllllllllly expensive. People always ask do you play bass because you couldnt play guitar? Generally forgotten about etc etc..
Quote by Punk2Guitar
Pro's of playing bass.

1. It's fairly more easy to play then guitar
2. Nice bass sound duh :p
3. Most people won't hear you make mistakes when your gigging.

Cons

1. Bass guitar players are always weird looking , ie. Bigass nose , ****in tall , flappy ears :p
2. A lot of them think they can keep making mistakes because they think no one will notice...
3. You don't get the "OMG he's good , attention from females xD"

Psst :^) that's why I play guitar , (lol j/k i just like guitar more , more choice , and more to learn overall i think.....)

There definitely isn't more to guitar than to bass. I play both. Bass has a lot more to it.

Here's some pros:
1.) You can do both what the drummer is doing and what the guitarist is doing at the same time.
2.) Techniques on bass are more impressive than techniques on guitar (i.e.: double thumping is harder than a pinch harmonic; tapping on bass is more of a challenge than tapping on guitar).
3.) Even though guitarists do generally get more attention, it's not that hard to upstage them.
4.) Once you upstage them, you get laid.
5.) Bass is the only instrument that is commonly found thourghout every genre of music, with the obvious exception of a'capella.
6.) You have more control over the song than anyone else; you can make it go where you want it to go.
1) fingering on bass helps fingering in other applications
2) guitarist get the bimbos, bassists get the more intelligent often better looking chicks
3) the low end is brutal
4) chicks dig a smart bassist
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Page 1 of 2