Why does my first finger insist on being stupid and not flattening out like it should? It ends up rolling back almost. It is okay around the twelfth fret, but even there if I look at it, it is like my fingers want to collapse in on themselves, as they all point toward the palm of my hand.

What sort of things can I do to help this?
Quote by antareus

Why does my first finger insist on being stupid and not flattening out like it should? It ends up rolling back almost. It is okay around the twelfth fret, but even there if I look at it, it is like my fingers want to collapse in on themselves, as they all point toward the palm of my hand.

What sort of things can I do to help this?

practice?

I play base for about three monthes and I can reach five frets already. Thats like 5 or 6 guitar frets.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
It is a Schecter C1 Blackjack. I suppose the extra-jumbo frets don't help matters, but I was hoping there were stretching exercises I could do.
center your thumb with ur middle finger.
Quote by Finnepinne
It was probably a black man who talked. "oh don' go in there gurl, he behind the doh~"

And then got shot.
and your hand looks all jarrd up, move your hand under more
and play it where it feels comfortable.
Quote by Finnepinne
It was probably a black man who talked. "oh don' go in there gurl, he behind the doh~"

And then got shot.
That just looks uncomfortable :/ try adjusting your thumb so its parallel with the frets.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Quote by antareus
I suppose the extra-jumbo frets don't help matters

Fret size refers almost explicitly to the size of the fret wire, not the distance between one fret and the next.

Try stretching along one string first, it's easier that doing it along four in the "rock discipline" style, also, follow the advice on the video: do it higher up the neck first, move down one fret at a time, and do the top four strings first, not the middle four.
Don't have your thumb over like that, the thumb should be parrell to the strings, like horizontel along the neck, not over the top.
id move the thumb towards the bottem of the bored and i practiced for about 2 weeks only playing scales in uncomfortable positions it helped a bit because i kept playing the way with bad technique
Last edited by dan_g_ at Mar 13, 2007,