Ello everyone.

Considering there are no B-52's in Hawaii, my friend isn't going to get one...

Instead, I'm making him buy a fender tube amp for something more on the classic rock side...

-Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410
-Fender Blonde Hot Rod Deluxe
-Fender Blonde Blues Junior Guitar Amp

I was basically considering theses for him (and myself , hehe.)

I was also planning on making him buy an Overdrive pedal (an OCD LOL!) to maybe push his amp to farther heights.

He wants to play classic rock...if that helps any. Thanks.

edit: His budget is 800 USD.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Last edited by Jinskee at Mar 12, 2007,
the fender deluxe reverb combo is in that price range and sounds better than the amps you listed, even tho they are all damn good tube amps. still, the hot rod deville sounds pretty damn sweet. since your friend wants an OD pedal the hot rod deluxe isnt really that necessary since its cleans are not as good as the other amps mentioned but its OD isnt all that bad.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC15CC1-Custom-Classic-1x12-Tube-Amp?sku=482625

^Vox ac15?

That would be awesome for him to get...plus the OCD *yum*.

But will he be able to be heard over myself? Could I mic him up?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I probably would only crank mine to maybe 5-7...probably nothing more or that'll be overkill for everyone.

Which would suite classic rock better and be able to give justice to the OCD well?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
Ello everyone.

i don't get it....
Quote by Recycle_Bin_QQ
i don't get it....

Well...he can't find one in Hawaii, currently. And to be quite honest, I don't think he would like that amp anyway...

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Recycle_Bin_QQ
oh, i thought you were talking about the plane

Just a quick question, which island are you from?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Ah, I'm in Oahu.

Nice to see more people from Hawaii here.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Can you get any traynors out there in Lost land?

also, can you hook me up with evangeline lilly?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Can you get any traynors out there in Lost land?

also, can you hook me up with evangeline lilly?

evangeline.

Actually, there IS a dealer here in Hawaii that sells traynor (If the link on the Traynor site is correct)

I'll tell him to check out the YC40...right?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
Ello everyone.

You can find IT on eBay
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
^You can't imagine how much the shipping cost is from the mainland to ebay.

When I interested in buying a jcm800 single channel amp, I bought it out for 800 so I was cool with that...then the shipping popped out for 300!!!

So...I then realized I could get something better for the price above the 1100 limit...so I got an Orange instead .

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I prefer the Blues Deluxe to the Hot Rod. I think it has a better clean tone. The Hot Rod is based on the Blues, but has an extra gain stage. I feel the Blues with a quality OD pedal is the better way to go.

The '65 Deluxe Reverb is a sweet amp, but it's a little more than your buddy wants to spend, and it's only 22W. That has to be considered, especially if one of his choices is the 60W 4x10 Hot Rod DeVille.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Peavey Classic 30 might be a good choice too.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Peavey Classic 30 might be a good choice too.

I was considering that. Heard a dude at church play one and it sounded quite nice.

Quote by slatsmania
I prefer the Blues Deluxe to the Hot Rod. I think it has a better clean tone. The Hot Rod is based on the Blues, but has an extra gain stage. I feel the Blues with a quality OD pedal is the better way to go.

The '65 Deluxe Reverb is a sweet amp, but it's a little more than your buddy wants to spend, and it's only 22W. That has to be considered, especially if one of his choices is the 60W 4x10 Hot Rod DeVille.

Thanks man, but I'm honestly not sure if he really needs the extra gain or not. He just got into the classic era of music and I think it's one of those phases in which you don't know what you like, but you're going for it anyway even though you won't like it? Meh, hard to explain, happened to me, but I stuck with the classics.

Which amp breaks up better though? Just incase if he changes his mind about what he wants, he may need the extra gain.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
The two amps are very similar. They'll break up about the same. Like I said, the Hot Rod is based on the Blues series, and Fender felt the need to not only re-issue the Blues amps, but charge more for them, too.

The Hot Rod's have more features, but cost less, that's a bit of a red flag right there for me.

My gut feeling is that the extra circuitry in the Hot Rod also sucks tone. The BD definitely has the nicer cleans. The extra gain for the Hot Rod is a push button deal that I honestly think is a little cheesey. That's why I said I thought the BD with a good OD would be the better route to take.

And if he'll be looking for natural tube breakup, stick with the 40W Deluxes. As you know, it's tough to get tube saturation from 30W without starting to hurt yourself. My big amp is 60W, but I hardly ever play it at home just for that reason.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Jinskee
^You can't imagine how much the shipping cost is from the mainland to ebay.

When I interested in buying a jcm800 single channel amp, I bought it out for 800 so I was cool with that...then the shipping popped out for 300!!!

So...I then realized I could get something better for the price above the 1100 limit...so I got an Orange instead .

huh, i guess i dont know how bad it is, since i live in east coast of us
sorry for making the suggestion
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by Jinskee

evangeline.

Actually, there IS a dealer here in Hawaii that sells traynor (If the link on the Traynor site is correct)

I'd actually recommend the YCV50 Blue, very British sounding guitar amp. It's a great amp, he might like it.
^No problem :P:

The other 2 states have it quite bad for those fees.

Quote by slatsmania
The two amps are very similar. They'll break up about the same. Like I said, the Hot Rod is based on the Blues series, and Fender felt the need to not only re-issue the Blues amps, but charge more for them, too.

The Hot Rod's have more features, but cost less, that's a bit of a red flag right there for me.

My gut feeling is that the extra circuitry in the Hot Rod also sucks tone. The BD definitely has the nicer cleans. The extra gain for the Hot Rod is a push button deal that I honestly think is a little cheesey. That's why I said I thought the BD with a good OD would be the better route to take.

And if he'll be looking for natural tube breakup, stick with the 40W Deluxes. As you know, it's tough to get tube saturation from 30W without starting to hurt yourself. My big amp is 60W, but I hardly ever play it at home just for that reason.

I guess it's down to the blues deluxe and the YC40

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Pud
I'd actually recommend the YCV50 Blue, very British sounding guitar amp. It's a great amp, he might like it.

hmm...

You know, that's not a bad idea. I might make him consider that too...he probably would want that gain anyway!

Okay, let me list it out now.

YCV50
Blues deluxe
and possibly YCV40.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Peavey Classic 50. Great amp, lots of volume and headroom.

With an OD you'll get rock no problemo at any volume range. I could get an early Maiden tone from a classic 50 with the gain dimed, so it should do most classic rock, like i said, no problemo.

Cheaper than fenders or Vox and still quality. A tube change would probably be for the better (peavey's tubes from the factory suck) but its still great. Leaves you with plenty of $$ to spend on extra stuff.
Quote by Jinskee

evangeline.

yeah, the 40, the 50 too, apparently it's more british (haven't tried it). the 20 is nice too, but at 15 watts maybe isn't enough clean headroom. it's a bit more vox-y. might as well try whatever they have...

I'm not too fussed on the classic 30- it starts to sound a bit "raucous" and uncontrolled when you really crank her, i like the laney vc30 more in that respece... though, a tube change and speaker/cab change could fix that. Plus the fact that that's based on prices here (the laney is £100 cheaper, and better, in my opinion, those prices are probably reversed in the states). Also, I haven't tried the 50, it could be better. So yeah, i guess the peavey classics are worth a look too. But bear in mind you might want to swich tubes etc.

+1 on what slats said about the fender blues deluxe versus HRD, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?