I bought a Marshall JCM 900, and I'm still messing around with it, but I dunno if I'll be able to get the sound out of it that I want. I'm using a Metal Zone pedal on it, and it sounds decent,but I figured I could get something better, so I might end up selling it on ebay. I need to know suggestions for a good death metal amp. One of my favorite tones is Michael Amott's, Carcass and Arch Enemy. I like stuff like Death, Children of Bodom, Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera, and all the 80s stuff. So I guess it has to sound pretty dark, have a lot gain, and can be brightened up to get those 80s tones.

Before I got the JCM 900, I had always considered a Peavey XXX. I always hear people talk about what great amps they are, along with the 6505's and 5150's. I'd really like to get a Krank, but I dont have near enough money. My price range is probably about $700, maybe a little bit more. Anyways, what's some amps that would cover the kinda tone I'm looking for?
..::RIP::..
Randy Rhoads & Dimebag
Haha I was gonna recommend a Roland Cube but I see you have a little bit larger of a budget than I expected....
lol, Well I bought the JCM 900 (its a 212 combo) off ebay for like $700, so I was hoping I'd be able to get that back out of it. I really wish I could make it work tho, with the Boss Metal Zone pedal, but I dunno, I think it's just too many knobs, lol.
Randy Rhoads & Dimebag
Surely you don't need the metal zone?

I mean, you have a classic metal amp and you're using a cheap pedal for your sound?
Loads of metal bands use JCM900s - Slayer, Trivium (if you like that sort of thing).

Not sure of any death metal bands that use it, but you should be able to get a decent metal tone.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
ive heard you shouldnt use distortion pedals on tube amps....try a tubescreamer or something of the sort....
don't murder a marshall tube amp's tone with a metal zone :P

use a tubescreamer if you have to
Quote by _-Skeletor-_
ive heard you shouldnt use distortion pedals on tube amps....try a tubescreamer or something of the sort....

yeah a decent pedal should help you get the sound you want

The truth hurts, but denial is what kills you.

Member #2 of the Fight Club Clan.
PM AndrewSchaeffer to join.
Quote by Dr. B
Surely you don't need the metal zone?

I mean, you have a classic metal amp and you're using a cheap pedal for your sound?
Loads of metal bands use JCM900s - Slayer, Trivium (if you like that sort of thing).

Not sure of any death metal bands that use it, but you should be able to get a decent metal tone.

I'd LOVE to know how they do it, lol. Because whenever I crank the gain all the way up on 20, it's only a Led Zeppelin - AC/DC kind of distortion. So they have to be using an overdrive or something. Does anyone know anything about Marshall Valvestates? I read the Chuck Schuldiner of Death used to use them, and some are pretty cheap on ebay.

Edit - I uploaded 2 files on my dmusic to let you guys hear the difference, and how bad it sucks without the pedal. "Marshall JCM 900 Take 1" is the version where I'm just using the amps gain and settings. You can hear how horrible it is, lol. It's just not near enough for metal, but it'd be pretty good for classic rock. "Marshall JCM 900 Take 2" is where I'm using the metal zone pedal with it. It seems to be, uhh, what's the word, a bit raunchier, lol. I don't know if its raunchy enough for death metal tho. I'll tweak it some more and see tho.

My Dmusic - http://konniption.dmusic.com/

Oh, and sorry for the horrid playing, lol. I was in a hurry, and didn't plan on letting anyone hear it. You can even hear my disgust on Take 1, lol. I hated the sound.
Randy Rhoads & Dimebag
Last edited by X_Deathrow_X at Mar 12, 2007,
I have a Valvestate combo(VS100R), which is now broken but I would not recommend it over the JCM900...Some of the older Valvestates may be cool, but usually the ones sold nowadays are just somewhat O.K practise/rehearsal amps..Have you tried to crank the volume up on the JCM900? That would propably help a little.

The well-known bands using the JCM may not necessarily use overdrives/distortions in the studio, because the mics used in the recording process make a huge part of the overall sound (not to forget the double,triple and so on tracking). I´ve recorded some stuff myself(thrash/death whatever you want to call it) and whenever playing rhythm parts I always have to take half of the gain off compared to what I use in the rehearsals..
I've had it up to about 4. I talked to this dude on youtube that has a JCM 900, and he says the valves usually break up between 4 and about 7.5. But I have no idea what "valves breaking up" means. I'm guessing it sounds better than normal, lol.
Randy Rhoads & Dimebag
Umm, I´m not sure if I can explain this properly but it means that every amp has a certain point in volume level, when it starts to sound different compared to smaller volume levels. In the case of tube amp it is more likely to sound better and fuller when you cross that certain threshold. That´s the main reason everybody says that you should always crank a tube amp near maximum if possible. Usually tube amps also produce more gain on higher volume levels.
The clip with the metal zone sounds god-awful! It's distorted, but the tone is pissweak thin. Just get yourself an overdrive pedal and an EQ - use those to augment the distortion channel and give you more control over the shape of the tone
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by _-Skeletor-_

You can use distortion, it just depends on the amp.
Sent from my iPad.
I would normally recommend to NEVER run ANY preamp-based pedals into a tube amp, because all you get is tinny high-frequency fizz when you run any preamp into a preamp, but since you're looking for a brighter death metal sound a dist pedal might help you out. You should be able to get the sound you're after with that JCM900 without any pedal tapdancing, that's a heavy amp..........tried and true.
Don't really know much about valve amps but are you sure the valves are good?
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
^ He only started using Kranks recently (And I'm guessing it's practically a 5150 in a Krank casing, It's certainly no off the shelf model)

Something like a 5150 (6505) would get you closer to the classic Ammot tone
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
DON'T GET A KRANK!

Most of the artists you hear don't use them, they just endorse them for money.

It is basically a tube version of a $500 Solid State amp.

I would go for a 5150 or maybe a triple rect if you can, but the triple rect is probably out of your budget.
Randall's have quite a good rep for metal type distortion, but you really should be able to get a really good metal tone out of the JCM...
Tubes distort when cranked so if you want it really heavier use an overdrive pedal to drive the preamp, turn the volumes up all the way and use an attenuator so you are not killed by the volume.
I've really been thinking about it, and I'd like to keep it. I figured an overdrive pedal might help it, but how much more gain will that give me? I know Zakk Wylde uses a JCM 800, and he used to use a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive, and I always hear a lot about the tubescreamers. I like Zakks tone a lot, and would be fine if I could get something like that.
Randy Rhoads & Dimebag
if you're gna keep it i suggest a vlave swap - my 900 was getting a bit lackluster - i'd had it for 2 years n not changed anything, so i thought i'd swap the valves. i put in a pair of jj/tesla E34Ls NOT EL34s, and it came alive. i really suggest this. i'm in a fairly heavy band, and had my OD on, on the dist. channel 90% of the time before, now i only use it for solos. also, you've really gotta crank the amp i find. anyway, hope this helps, n i really reccomend a valve swap.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

What? seriously JCM 900 is capable of a Metal tone. Sell the Boss Metal Zone, it's a lifeless pedal! Get a booster pedal of some sort (Boss SD-1 , Tubescreamer (overpriced but work well , Even the Boss Blues Driver is pretty awesome!)

Trick is not to crank the preamp gain too much at all as this sounds bad tbh, you want to crank the output valves. When i played a modern Marshall in July last year some time it was easy to get a great metal tone so I'm not sure what you're doing wrong...

How do you have it Equed?

Dude just look at youtube at all the show offs with their JCM 900 s and see if anyone posts their settings? Seriously, I mean I did prefer the 5150 II over the Marshall TSL but that's personal preference... I think you just haven't set up the JCM properly. Its capable of a metal tone
Everyone in this thread is making me feel like a jackass, lol. Everyones telling me that its an awesome metal amp, but I just dunno what I'm doing wrong. I'll crank it day tho and mess around with the EQ on it.
Randy Rhoads & Dimebag
It's not an awesome metal amp, unless you have both pre-amp and volume maxed out(tried it), THEN its a metal amp, got a good children of bodom and in flames sound
I would try some new tubes in it if you got it used on eBay. It made a VERY noticable difference in my Mark IV changing tubes. I bought it used, and the guy sold it because it didn't have enough gain for him. I replaced the preamp and power tubes, and the thing turned into a beast compared to the old shitty tubes it had in it(not stock, but over 5 years old). He was a little pissed at me, lol. If the tubes are old, it can really make a difference.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I'm gonna go ahead and recommend a Randall. I've got a RG75D (a cheap 75 watt amp with 24 or so effects built in) and a cheap Jackson JS30Ke Kelly, but I believe I can get a decent tone with that gear.

If you want sound clips, I can record some for you, or you could just check the link in my signature.
i have a jcm 900 slx head and its not going to get you any where close to a 5150 so if you want that kind of sound sell your 900. But the 900 will get you a nice metal sound. Get a tubescreamer, make sure you have el34 and not 5881's (my slx has 5881's and i cant wait till i get it rebiased for el34s or somethin of that nature) next make sure you have the thing crank. thats how tube amps work, the more you push them the more distortion you get. and dont crank pre and sens. to 10 and 20 itll sound like mud. its all a matter of proper eq. finally if you stilll cant get the tone you want you can 1. have it modded or 2. buy a pre amp like a lee jackson gp-1000 perfect connection or a sansamp then you should have no problem with gain
Everyone stop recommending amps! His is enough.

Just crank the volume the most you can without making your ears bleed, thats gonna make the power tubes on the amp distort and you will get your metal tone without the horrible metal zone (shivers).

If you still want more theres also the fact you can change tubes, look at the tube sticky for more info.
Is there any way that I can use it to practice at low volumes and still get a good tone, as if it were cranked?? I'll crank it up sometime today and check it out. I practice a lot, and I usually have the volume pretty low when I do that, because its usually about 5 or 6 in the morning and everyones in bed, lol.
Randy Rhoads & Dimebag
Quote by X_Deathrow_X
Is there any way that I can use it to practice at low volumes and still get a good tone, as if it were cranked?? I'll crank it up sometime today and check it out. I practice a lot, and I usually have the volume pretty low when I do that, because its usually about 5 or 6 in the morning and everyones in bed, lol.

You could get an attentuator, but good ones cost around $200-$300, if not more. I would suggest just getting an overdrive pedal like the Tubescreamer or DS 1. Use that on top of your amps overdrive, and you will have a good amount of gain for most metal. Its a hell of a lot cheaper, and you wont have to crank to get more gain.
Quote by _-Skeletor-_

A tube screamer is a distortion pedal.

Quote by Chinomaster182
Everyone stop recommending amps! His is enough.

Just crank the volume the most you can without making your ears bleed, thats gonna make the power tubes on the amp distort and you will get your metal tone without the horrible metal zone (shivers).

If you still want more theres also the fact you can change tubes, look at the tube sticky for more info.

Hardly, really. A JCM900 doesn't have the kick to make a modern metal tone with ease. Very few people still use JCM900s without any kind of boost or modifications for a metal/death metal tone.
Rad, ok, that's what I was wondering. I figured an Overdrive pedal would give me a lot of gain without cranking it. What's the difference in all these Tubescreamer versions tho, like TS7, TS9, TS808 and all that stuff?
Randy Rhoads & Dimebag
I would avoid the TS7, as it is a cheap OD pedal that sounds like shit and gets sold because of the Tubescreamer logo on it. The TS9 is the standard one that Ibanez make now, and the 808 is supposed to be like a reissue of the vintage ones. Im not 100% sure on these facts, as I have gathered them from other sites and soundclips only, but I would try to check them out before you buy.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
A tube screamer is a distortion pedal.

Nope, its an overdrive.

Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Hardly, really. A JCM900 doesn't have the kick to make a modern metal tone with ease. Very few people still use JCM900s without any kind of boost or modifications for a metal/death metal tone.

Its not gonna get a nu metal/death metal 5150, double rectifier kind of distortion, but the TS seems to be into 80s trash metal and such, the JCM900 should cover that.

Also scratch the Tubesreamer 7. The tubescreamer 9 is the modern standard version and the 808 is the latter version, people say its the holy grail of overdrive and they used to pay hundreds for an original vintage one so Ibanez just made a reissue.

Edit. Also for playing high gain at low volumes theres this thing called an attenuator. Basically its like the reverse of amplification, it lets you saturate your tubes while keeping a low volume level. Look up Weber attenuators.
I would suggest a hot plate so you can crank it and still keep your hearing. I really don't think that the JCM900 was made for that brutal death metal sound though.
Jackson USA SL2H Snow White
Peavey JSX 120w head
BVS412 slant cab w/V30's
Furman RR-215 Dual EQ
TC Electronic M300
Quote by Chinomaster182
Nope, its an overdrive.

Do you know what "Overdrive" and "Distortion" mean? Because if you do, you certainly shouldn't be posting that.

The circuit in the Ibanez Tubescreamer is that of a distortion circuit. I hate to break it to you, but its true.

An "overdrive" pedal is simply a distortion pedal used to overdrive an amplifier. There is no difference between an Overdrive pedal and a Distortion pedal, electronically speaking. Some distortions produced now, like the MT-2, etc, are clearly not acceptable to use overdrives. However; if you look far enough back you'll see that not only most OD pedals are used for *gasp* distortion, but also that most distortion pedals have been used to Overdrive a tube amplifier.

Its not gonna get a nu metal/death metal 5150, double rectifier kind of distortion, but the TS seems to be into 80s trash metal and such, the JCM900 should cover that.

The JCM 900 should get '80s thrash metal and such' right out of the box. It doesn't need a boost for that.

To produce a tone that's any harder/harsher, it will need a boost. This is pretty much fact, its not debateable. Lots of bands have used JCM900s that aren't thrash or classic rock.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Do you know what "Overdrive" and "Distortion" mean? Because if you do, you certainly shouldn't be posting that.

The circuit in the Ibanez Tubescreamer is that of a distortion circuit. I hate to break it to you, but its true.

An "overdrive" pedal is simply a distortion pedal used to overdrive an amplifier. There is no difference between an Overdrive pedal and a Distortion pedal, electronically speaking. Some distortions produced now, like the MT-2, etc, are clearly not acceptable to use overdrives. However; if you look far enough back you'll see that not only most OD pedals are used for *gasp* distortion, but also that most distortion pedals have been used to Overdrive a tube amplifier.

Without getting too technical the Tube Screamer is reffered to as an Overdrive pedal and yes i do know the difference between the two.

Quote by xxgenocide98xx
The JCM 900 should get '80s thrash metal and such' right out of the box. It doesn't need a boost for that.

To produce a tone that's any harder/harsher, it will need a boost. This is pretty much fact, its not debateable. Lots of bands have used JCM900s that aren't thrash or classic rock.

No ones debating you here pal, you're the one that brought the subject up.