I'm dreaming of a new bass [not gonna happen lol], and in lieu of making 10 threads I'll make this one and hope people respond. Thanks in advance

-DC

1) anybody know anything about Warrior Basses

2) are humbuckers REALLY THAT much better than J ups?

3) Asinine question: Do neck through basses ACTUALLY have the neck go through the body?

3a) POLL 1 : Bolt on or neck through... and why?

4) Re: Billy Sheehan/ Michael LePond (Symphony X) : Is their synthy tone the result of their EQ and/or their bass wood?

4a - 5) PERSONAL POLL: What wood do/ would you use for your bass neck/ body?

6) Thanks again. -DC

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Neck-through is where everything from the headstock to the strap button behind the bridge is one piece of wood, they they glue on other bits of wood either side of this to give the guitar it's shape. It provides better sustains because there is more continuous wood.

neck through>set neck>bolt on

i.e. bolt on is the worst
1) sorry no nothing about them
2) its all personal opinion. if it was fact that humbuckers were better than j pickups then why would ja pickups exist. personally i favour j pickups to humbuckers
3) what freedoms stain said
4) sorry no idea then i always thought it was some sort of synth effect
5) for body i use alder and for neck i use maple with a rosewood fingerboard (its a jazz bass)
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by DiabloCoche
I'm dreaming of a new bass [not gonna happen lol], and in lieu of making 10 threads I'll make this one and hope people respond. Thanks in advance

-DC

3) Asinine question: Do neck through basses ACTUALLY have the neck go through the body?

4) Re: Billy Sheehan/ Michael LePond (Symphony X) : Is their synthy tone the result of their EQ and/or their bass wood?

6) Thanks again. -DC

1. Yes, Warrior instruments are amazing high-end instruments. Bass Player magazine reviewed one of their basses a while back, check out their website.

2. In theory, yes. In practice, personal opinion. Humbuckers are a better overall design, cancelling out hum, but people often prefer the tone of a J pup. You can actually get humbuckers wired to the same specs as most J pups (save that they're humbucking), which in my opinion is the way to go. In the end, it comes down to tone preference, generally.

3. This was answered, but I'll add on that it's not necessarily ONE piece of wood that makes up the neck, but can also be several pieces glued together.

3a. In theory, neck-through is better than bolt-on, in practice, they both have strengths and weaknesses. In my personal opinion, a well-designed/well-built bolt-on neck is in many ways superior to a neck-through design. However in most cases it is more desirable to have a neck-through.

4. Their tone is a complex product of their overall bass/amp setup. I would say it is mainly due to their amps/EQ, although in Sheehan's case he also has special pups in his signature Yamaha.

5. What would -I- use? Depends on the tone I'm going for, but my personal favourite combination is: NECK- Wenge with Bubinga stripes; BODY- Mahagony with Flame Maple cap.

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by DiabloCoche

-DC

6) Thanks again. -DC

I supose I'll throw in my 2 cents here

1) Warrior basses are supposed to be great, and they look amazing, but they're damn high end and at that price you'll definately want to shop around for what you want specifically, if it's in a warrior bass, great, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions. Personally, I've never touched one.

2) It's really all personal opinion there, they both have different advantages and disadvantages. I prefer Hambuckers however.

3) Yes

3a) Neck through is generally better, the construction gives it much more sustain and better tone. But again, personal opinion.

4) Their tone would just be a result of everything in their rig. Bass wood, pickups, construction, cabinets, heads, pedals, strings, etc. You'd have to look up their unique rig to really find and recreate the tone.

5) Neck through construction, made of Bubinga with Wenge with an ebony fretboard, or maple with purpleheart with a maple fretboard
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Huge misunderstandings in Neck through!!

Neck through = sustain, midsy tone. Good for certain fingerstyles.

Bolt on is almost 100% regarded as better for Slap because it has less sustain and mids.

Set neck is a lot less common on basses than it is on elec guitars. Its okay... but Proper bolt on's can be better than set necks, elec guitar and/or bass.

So depends on your style, if you're not sure, i would go for bolt on, because it can do decent any sound, but neck through is basically taking away all opportunitys to get a half decent slap tone.
1) nope
2) I would pick a J pickup (but noiseless, though) over a humbucker a million times over. I really don't like the sound of humbuckers on bass, but then again, it's all opinion.
3) Yes, the neck goes all the way to the end of the bass, and they glue the wings to the sides of the neck where the body is.
3a) Like #2, it's all opinion, but neck-thru's cost more (simply because it costs more to make). I only have bolt-on basses and never plan on changing. I don't really have a reason why, other than the bolt-on works for me.
4) Dunno about the second guy, but Billy Sheehan's tone is special. He has the unusual pickup combo of a Gibson humbucker under the neck and a Precision pickup where it should be. He has 2 outputs (1 for each pickup) and sends the signals to different amps. He distorts the Precision pickup while leaving the bassy neck humbucker clean. That, and he has a mountain of gear. Check his website for more info.
5) I love maple necks and fingerboards, and I will never use rosewood again (unless it's a Jaco-style fretless). Maple is a nice, bright wood that is very strong. However, the Warwick Ovangkol/Wenge combo is really really good, as well. Body, I prefer the traditional wood of Ash. It's a good sounding wood, and it has a nice grain.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i own the schecter studio four and it's got a great slap tone...and is neck-thru but it could just be the specific pickups in it and maybe the active eq.

and in my opinion if you can get it you should get the whole bass made out of Koa.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Koa is good, but it's now an endangered species (like Brazilian Rosewood), so don't expect to get that on a bass any time soon.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..

I have two basses, one with two humbuckers, one with two J pups. I prefer the sound of the humbuckers, they hum less (surprise surprise) and they feel much nice to rest my thumb on while playing. However, it's not an effective comparison as I'd be comparing two Squier J-Bass pups against active Musicman humbuckers. I'd recommend asking Applehead for his opinion because he's owned a Stinger and an MM J-Bass at the same time so he'll be able to give you better advice than me. However, I'll take humbuckers over anything else any day.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
much appreciated guys.

I'm fingerstyle / pick, could care less about a slap tone.

to maple guys; does the (white) maple get dirty?
cause, you know, i like my bass to look clean
but am a fan of Maple tone....is it different for white and dark?
i have an Ibanez SR300DX with dark maple and i enjoy the color and tone a lot.

so... eh.

i have the billy sheehan DVD actually.
his equipment is a monstrosity of money and wattage that i will never get :p

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
The thing about white maple is that it's always finished. That way, you can just wipe the crap off your fingerboard. Rosewood is unfinished and is a little harder to clean. I'm not sure about dark maple, never tried it (and probably won't because I'm a fan of all-maple necks that look 1-piece).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
The thing about white maple is that it's always finished. That way, you can just wipe the crap off your fingerboard. Rosewood is unfinished and is a little harder to clean. I'm not sure about dark maple, never tried it (and probably won't because I'm a fan of all-maple necks that look 1-piece).

didn't know it was finished.... thanks.

haha, i forgot they use so many fingerboard materials for bass.

thanks -DC

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Sorry, i ca't answer any questions, but I have to say, I'm in love with Warrior basses. I've said it before and I'll say it again; I'd become a hooker just to own one.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
Sorry, i ca't answer any questions, but I have to say, I'm in love with Warrior basses. I've said it before and I'll say it again; I'd become a hooker just to own one.

i might sig that lol

....and I myspace creeped and I'm horribly jealous of your bass

....and i can't figure out how to sig that properly

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Last edited by DiabloCoche at Mar 14, 2007,
Quote by DiabloCoche

i might sig that lol

....and I myspace creeped and I'm horribly jealous of your bass

....and i can't figure out how to sig that properly

Quote > Copy > Paste into sig
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15